Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
also just checked the Ibis site and they're shipping again! moohahahahaha!

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:09 Quote
NateMob wrote:
I had what sounds like an identical problem with a weird drivetrain tap/creak that was independent of suspension movement that turned out to be my rear axle was too tight and throwing off tolerances in the rear Ibis hub, i loosened and am taking it to only 6nm with my torque wrench and the back of the bike is dead silent again. I only discovered this after swapping cassettes and pulling the entire BB apart and it not getting better. Freakin too tight axle all along.

Good luck!

OH MAAAAAAN! That could definitely be it. I've been torquing it down pretty good since I noticed the loose freehub. Others talking about their axle coming loose had me overtightening a bit, for sure. For the sake of scientific process, I really should give the tightened cassette a go before making sure my axle is to spec, but I'll probably cheat and get it dialed before starting my ride this afternoon. *Looks outside... Aaaaand it's snowing*

Thanks for the tip, NateMob.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
Anyone know if the crankset is DUB boost or just DUB? Looking at upgrading from the NX

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:

Really? This is great news!

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
mammal wrote:
the-wylie-man wrote:
nickmay26 wrote:
I'm still having some issues with noise on this bike. To me it doesn't sound like chain slap, it sounds more like cables rattling around. I made sure the cables are secure at the cockpit area but I'm still getting noise. Maybe it's from the internal routing? Also 8 rides in and I have a linkage creak, happening sitting or standing while compressing suspension. Most noticeable pedaling uphill under load or a rough downhill. Can anyone relate?

Hey, Ive noticed the exact same two noises from mine as well. For the cable rattle Ive used self amalgamating tap to wrap the cables together at the front 2x2m this seems to have stopped the noise but ive not rode a rough trail since i did this to check it out fully.
The creaking on mine stopped once I removed cleaned and refitted the cranks and BB as well as tightening all the links up.

Internal cable rattle: My solution is posted on page 11, Feb 5th. You don't need to remove the cables from the build, buy anything special and they're dead silent now. You just need to take some time to get it right.

Creaking noises: I'm struggling to track mine down over the past 2 weeks, but I swear they're coming from the rear end (hub, cassette, axle, or something back there). It sounds like a tick-tick noise, but only when I'm putting down power strokes on hard climbs, and I can't reproduce it when just cycling the suspension. My stock Ibis free hub had worked itself loose a couple of weeks back, and I thought that was for sure the culprit, but after disassembling, repacking, and adding some loctite, it's still making the noise. My next step was tightening the cassette a bit more last night, as the only time I've had this exact sound in the past, it was due to a loose cassette. I'll try to get out this afternoon and check.

What build do you have? I have the NX and it definitely makes some noise, but I think it is the pully on the rear derailleur. I believe it is a plastic bushing or something instead of a roller bearing. I think that's where the ticking sound is coming from.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
mammal wrote:
the-wylie-man wrote:

Hey, Ive noticed the exact same two noises from mine as well. For the cable rattle Ive used self amalgamating tap to wrap the cables together at the front 2x2m this seems to have stopped the noise but ive not rode a rough trail since i did this to check it out fully.
The creaking on mine stopped once I removed cleaned and refitted the cranks and BB as well as tightening all the links up.

Internal cable rattle: My solution is posted on page 11, Feb 5th. You don't need to remove the cables from the build, buy anything special and they're dead silent now. You just need to take some time to get it right.

Creaking noises: I'm struggling to track mine down over the past 2 weeks, but I swear they're coming from the rear end (hub, cassette, axle, or something back there). It sounds like a tick-tick noise, but only when I'm putting down power strokes on hard climbs, and I can't reproduce it when just cycling the suspension. My stock Ibis free hub had worked itself loose a couple of weeks back, and I thought that was for sure the culprit, but after disassembling, repacking, and adding some loctite, it's still making the noise. My next step was tightening the cassette a bit more last night, as the only time I've had this exact sound in the past, it was due to a loose cassette. I'll try to get out this afternoon and check.

What build do you have? I have the NX and it definitely makes some noise, but I think it is the pully on the rear derailleur. I believe it is a plastic bushing or something instead of a roller bearing. I think that's where the ticking sound is coming from.

Sorry, it's the NX build. With the noise I have, it ONLY occurs during peak power strokes when pedaling uphill. There shouldn't be any significant loading through the derailleur at those moments, as tension is applied through the segment of chain between top of the chain ring and top of the cassette. So to me, this points toward Hub/Axle/Cassette. From NateMob's experience, it sounds like it's either an axle that's too tight, or a cassette that's too loose (I've already addressed both now, time to try it out).

All that said, creaks can be difficult to diagnose, and bikes can make very good ventriloquists at times, so I'll update the result after riding and go from there.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
mammal wrote:
PNWbike wrote:
mammal wrote:

Sorry, it's the NX build. With the noise I have, it ONLY occurs during peak power strokes when pedaling uphill. There shouldn't be any significant loading through the derailleur at those moments, as tension is applied through the segment of chain between top of the chain ring and top of the cassette. So to me, this points toward Hub/Axle/Cassette. From NateMob's experience, it sounds like it's either an axle that's too tight, or a cassette that's too loose (I've already addressed both now, time to try it out).

All that said, creaks can be difficult to diagnose, and bikes can make very good ventriloquists at times, so I'll update the result after riding and go from there.

Yeah, that's weird. Keep us posted what you find out. I remember when I was looking for the torque spec for the rear axle I couldn't find it but Ibis' website said something along the lines of just tightening it enough so that you can remove it on the trail with a tool. Good catch by NateMob then if this causes issues because hand tightening with a tool could be all over the place in terms of torque; especially depending how many beers I've had by the time I get to that part of my bike maintenance routine!

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:

I think Pro Bike Supply got some V2 frames in, saw on their story. Bummer the web store isn't open til the 7th of April though

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
mammal wrote:
PNWbike wrote:

Yeah, that's weird. Keep us posted what you find out. I remember when I was looking for the torque spec for the rear axle I couldn't find it but Ibis' website said something along the lines of just tightening it enough so that you can remove it on the trail with a tool. Good catch by NateMob then if this causes issues because hand tightening with a tool could be all over the place in terms of torque; especially depending how many beers I've had by the time I get to that part of my bike maintenance routine!

So, yeah, the torque spec helped a bit, but not completely, and it still makes some noise. It started out quiet for the first 5 minutes or so, until it slowly started developing the noise again. Just to play around a bit, I tightened it up a small measured amount and it made it a bit worse. Loosened it back up, and it was a bit better. Still chasing...

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

I think Pro Bike Supply got some V2 frames in, saw on their story. Bummer the web store isn't open til the 7th of April though

That'd be awesome if true. I'm coming off 6 months off the bike due to ACL surgery and want to get on a new bike real soon. hoping that it would be the Ripmo and would like to support a local shop while they are struggling right now

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

That'd be awesome if true. I'm coming off 6 months off the bike due to ACL surgery and want to get on a new bike real soon. hoping that it would be the Ripmo and would like to support a local shop while they are struggling right now

Yeah give your local shop a call. After seeing this on the Ibis site I called the shop I ordered my Ripmo through before they stopped shipping and mine should be on the way next week sometime. I was worried this could go months so was considering backing out and going with a GG Smash, Banshee Prime, or a 20% off Sentinel which Tranny still has in stock on their site (no doubt version 2.0 is almost here). Glad Ibis is operating (safely) through this and i imagine by now they're pretty backed up. But with the economy right now who knows if sales everywhere are slowing. Companies may have to get creative to make it through this year. Maybe we'll see alot of new bikes on sale this summer. Anyway I'm happy to support Ibis and a local shop and glad Ibis went alu and is offering bikes that can compete performance-wise and now price-wise with d2c offerings. Maybe we'll see an alu Ripley one day too?!

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
Alas! I have a silent bike again. The noise I was chasing was a ticking/creaking noise that would happen during hard pedaling, but most noisy when descending rough terrain. I tried a number of things with no success: removing and cleaning cassette/outer shell of free hub body (SLX build), removing and cleaning derailleur and hanger, removing and cleaning cranks/BB, rear axle torque.
Today I tried cleaning and lubing rear hub as well as cleaning and regreasing the linkage components. My guess is that the linkage was causing the ticking noise. The black link between the shock and swingarm was the dirtiest where it meets the swingarm and I could hear dirt crunching around when I cycled the suspension. Not stoked that this happened 3 weeks after buying it but at least it's back to normal, quiet riding. Went for a quick ride after that service with tough ups and rowdy downs and it was tick-free.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 18:16 Quote
If you're like me and had no idea where to start with all the adjustments on my DVO Diamond, Remy Metailler does a bike build and explains how he runs his fork. Helped me a bunch and I run it just as he does. It's a long video but the fork settings part is at 31:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzI3HXC0QM

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
Any of you Ripmo AF owners know the weight on a medium nx build? And what tires/shock is this with. Can’t seem to find an answer anywhere.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 23:21 Quote
Has anyone got a good recommendation for a water bottle cage that will sit nice and low in the frame? I've tried a few and they all sit higher than I'd like leaving very little space for the bottle

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012834
Mobile Version of Website