Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 4:28 Quote
blackdawg wrote:
Been out of the game for a while and geometry progressed without me. I'm still on a 2012 26er.

Basically looking for Galbraith bike that doesn't suck to peddle up. I've ridden a lot of whistler in my past but I'm getting close to 40 so I'm not looking for a bike biased towards a trial like Mohawk.

Do Ibis bikes go on sale end of season? would that be August-ish?

Ibis doesn’t do model years and there’s no rhyme or reason to when a new version is released, which will be about the only time you find one on sale. The AF just came out end of last year, it will be a year or two before there’s a new version, if they do another version.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
blackdawg wrote:
Been out of the game for a while and geometry progressed without me. I'm still on a 2012 26er.

Basically looking for Galbraith bike that doesn't suck to peddle up. I've ridden a lot of whistler in my past but I'm getting close to 40 so I'm not looking for a bike biased towards a trial like Mohawk.

Ibis doesn’t do model years and there’s no rhyme or reason to when a new version is released, which will be about the only time you find one on sale. The AF just came out end of last year, it will be a year or two before there’s a new version, if they do another version.

Yup and AF is a great value and in demand so little to no savings to be had there. There are v1 carbon frames on sale from a couple places if you wanted to start a build that way. $2250 - $2500 depending on rear shock. Unless the global economy collapses (more) I’d expect pricing to hold. The base model AF is a steal tho!

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
blackdawg wrote:

I bought the RAF specifically for places like Galbraith and Tiger Mtn. Haven't had a chance to ride there on it yet because of the covid quarantine. However, I was able to ride the RAF a dozen times or so on smaller, less tech trails and it destroyed them. I think it will be awesome for places Galbraith. Anything where you have to climb up, but then want the extra forgiveness on the way down. Depends on what you ride mostly though. If you like most of the machine groomed jump lines, then it would not be my first choice. I wanted something that would give me extra roll over forgiveness and a slacker head tube angle. Especially on some of the steep rock rolls, tech root pitches and log drop stuff.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
blackdawg wrote:

Not sure where you live but I bought mine from Sports Basement in the San Francisco bay area and they offer 10% off everything they sell if you are a basementeer member ($20 one time payment I believe). Saved me $410 on my RAF. Was roughly $3999 out the door for the SLX build with a coil.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
I'm interested in a ripmo af nx, but hear conflicting reviews on whether the bike likes jumping or not. Some say it's super playful and poppy, others say it's not, and ment more for plow.

I would think of just going with the air shock for the extra progressiveness off jump lips.

I love jump lines, and I love steep tech. I'm 5' 11 1/2" looking at a large. But I want a bike that can do both decently.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Hauck wrote:
I'm interested in a ripmo af nx, but hear conflicting reviews on whether the bike likes jumping or not. Some say it's super playful and poppy, others say it's not, and ment more for plow.

I would think of just going with the air shock for the extra progressiveness off jump lips.

I love jump lines, and I love steep tech. I'm 5' 11 1/2" looking at a large. But I want a bike that can do both decently.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago, and didn’t hear anything back. Maybe no one is jumping their AF? Haha.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 18:16 Quote
Hauck wrote:

I'm on the carbon version and all it wants to do is jump and pop off stuff. But it is really at home at high speed point-and-shoot.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 18:28 Quote
I have found that I cannot throw it around in the air as easily as my last bike, but it jumps and pops off of stuff just as well. Cornering and flying through rough stuff is 10x better. Coming off of a large 2015 stumpjumper evo 29, now on a xl ripmo

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 19:50 Quote
Hauck wrote:

Coil = Plow
Air = Poppy

That being said, I can still jump the bike with a coil, just takes a little more effort. Certainly not as easy as my 2014 Trance with an air shock but the extra speed I can get to with the RAF, I can hit bigger jumps with more confidence.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
blackdawg wrote:

Not sure where you live but I bought mine from Sports Basement in the San Francisco bay area and they offer 10% off everything they sell if you are a basementeer member ($20 one time payment I believe). Saved me $410 on my RAF. Was roughly $3999 out the door for the SLX build with a coil.

That's awesome you got 10% off. Seems like the good stuff is usually always excluded.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 20:23 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
That's awesome you got 10% off. Seems like the good stuff is usually always excluded.

It was worth driving an hour and a half away for it Lol

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
jpculp wrote:
I have found that I cannot throw it around in the air as easily as my last bike, but it jumps and pops off of stuff just as well. Cornering and flying through rough stuff is 10x better. Coming off of a large 2015 stumpjumper evo 29, now on a xl ripmo
Very interested in what you have to say, I just ordered a ripmo af and coming off a stumpjumper evo but a 27,5 version,

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 21:22 Quote
I put about 10% more pressure than recommended in my suspension a few weeks ago and the bike feels a lot more lively and somehow also feels faster through the rough stuff. Could also be I'm just now getting used to it. Jumping feels great, think the length of the bike makes it a little harder to carve lips when trying to whip but I haven't gotten it out on any big jumps yet. This bike is better than the stumpjumper in almost every way, even climbing. Mellow pedally downhills might be a little bit more boring.

Here's a vid from this weekend on some ideal trails for the ripmo in my opinion (besides the tight switch backs) I'm in red -

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
jpculp wrote:
How tall are you? just wondering why you went with the XL on the RAF.
Great vid btw, thanks for posting.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
jpculp wrote:
I put about 10% more pressure than recommended in my suspension a few weeks ago and the bike feels a lot more lively and somehow also feels faster through the rough stuff. Could also be I'm just now getting used to it.

The bike really came alive for me when I boosted the air pressure slightly higher than recommended settings. I'm 175 with gear, and ended up at 125psi in the Diamond and 185 in the Topaz. Before that it wasn't holding as tall as I like up front and the shock was bottoming a bit on drops and hard g-outs. Now it's perfectly supportive, and just as plowy as ever.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010823
Mobile Version of Website