Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
So that night I loosened everything and it somehow started working...

Man this bike is so rad. Still deciding on if the coil is poppy enough via adjustments. But I really like it. I put a green oneup 35 mm stem and 35 mm rise oneup carbon bars. I can’t figure out how to post pics...

Has anyone noticed the ott putting too much lose play in the diamond?? Mine cam with about 20 clicks? I lowered it to none...

metalmt wrote:
goride365 wrote:
I guess that could be it, but I literally only moved it up 1/4-1/2” & with zero tension I’m pretty sure..

Could it be that sensitive? I’ll try and wrench in it again. After work today. Thx for the input everyone.

Superfli wrote:

I suspect when you adjusted the height you have got the cable caught and effectively opening/pulling the cable at the bottom of the post. The cable gets caught as it enters the seat tube. You need to feed the cable through at same time as lifting post.
Check that the dropper lever isn’t getting stuck on the grip, mine was aligned poorly from the shop and I had this problem. Loosen the clamp and rotate the lever away from the grip.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
goride365 wrote:
Has anyone noticed the ott putting too much lose play in the diamond?? Mine cam with about 20 clicks? I lowered it to none...

I found that OTT was absolutely necessary for a supple initial stroke, it felt too stiff without. I run mine with exactly the recommended amount of OTT for the psi I ended up with (quick setup guide). You'll want to note that the setup guide lists the number of "full turns" , not the number of "clicks". If you've got it set up with too much OTT for your liking, I can see the initial half-inch or so feeling really supple, and that could be interpreted as "loose play", but that would just come from the lack of initial spring rate. For reference, I run 125psi, and 7 "full turns" of OTT. The first inch of travel sinks really easily (but not under bike weight only), and that's exactly how I like it. A slightly stiffer air pressure keeps the ride height on the trail.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
Nice. That’s good to know, I definitely would like to utilize it. Soon hoping to dial everything in. Thx for sharing

mammal wrote:
goride365 wrote:

I found that OTT was absolutely necessary for a supple initial stroke, it felt too stiff without. I run mine with exactly the recommended amount of OTT for the psi I ended up with (quick setup guide). You'll want to note that the setup guide lists the number of "full turns" , not the number of "clicks". If you've got it set up with too much OTT for your liking, I can see the initial half-inch or so feeling really supple, and that could be interpreted as "loose play", but that would just come from the lack of initial spring rate. For reference, I run 125psi, and 7 "full turns" of OTT. The first inch of travel sinks really easily (but not under bike weight only), and that's exactly how I like it. A slightly stiffer air pressure keeps the ride height on the trail.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
mammal wrote:
jpculp wrote:
I put about 10% more pressure than recommended in my suspension a few weeks ago and the bike feels a lot more lively and somehow also feels faster through the rough stuff. Could also be I'm just now getting used to it.

The bike really came alive for me when I boosted the air pressure slightly higher than recommended settings. I'm 175 with gear, and ended up at 125psi in the Diamond and 135 in the Topaz. Before that it wasn't holding as tall as I like up front and the shock was bottoming a bit on drops and hard g-outs. Now it's perfectly supportive, and just as plowy as ever.

135 in the Topaz sounds a bit low! Recommended pressure at 175 is somewhere around 170psi going by the Ibis quick setup guide

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Hauck wrote:
I'm interested in a ripmo af nx, but hear conflicting reviews on whether the bike likes jumping or not. Some say it's super playful and poppy, others say it's not, and ment more for plow.

I would think of just going with the air shock for the extra progressiveness off jump lips.

I love jump lines, and I love steep tech. I'm 5' 11 1/2" looking at a large. But I want a bike that can do both decently.

Coil = Plow
Air = Poppy

That being said, I can still jump the bike with a coil, just takes a little more effort. Certainly not as easy as my 2014 Trance with an air shock but the extra speed I can get to with the RAF, I can hit bigger jumps with more confidence.

Yep. Coil here too and I would not describe the RAF as "poppy" either. Very tempting though to pick up an air shock as it sounds like a substantial difference in ride characteristics; maybe switch out based on terrain.....

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
vizsla99 wrote:
mammal wrote:
jpculp wrote:
I put about 10% more pressure than recommended in my suspension a few weeks ago and the bike feels a lot more lively and somehow also feels faster through the rough stuff. Could also be I'm just now getting used to it.

The bike really came alive for me when I boosted the air pressure slightly higher than recommended settings. I'm 175 with gear, and ended up at 125psi in the Diamond and 135 in the Topaz. Before that it wasn't holding as tall as I like up front and the shock was bottoming a bit on drops and hard g-outs. Now it's perfectly supportive, and just as plowy as ever.

135 in the Topaz sounds a bit low! Recommended pressure at 175 is somewhere around 170psi going by the Ibis quick setup guide

YES! My mistake, thanks Vizsla. I run 125 in the fork and 185 in the Topaz. I'll edit the original post. Cheers.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
Thinking about buying a meta am 29 as my downhill rig to compliment my raf. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Thinking about buying a meta am 29 as my downhill rig to compliment my raf. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Lot of overlap there.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:

Lot of overlap there.

Yep. 10mm more travel on both ends but very similar geo (in fact, RAF appears to be more aggressive).

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
There are factors not captured by the spec sheets, such as frame stiffness, but yeah, I also see them as too similar to justify both.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
Decided to sell my Ripmo AF -Size Large with coil. If anyone's interested let me know. Great bike but going carbon. Evil

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
Yep. Coil here too and I would not describe the RAF as "poppy" either. Very tempting though to pick up an air shock as it sounds like a substantial difference in ride characteristics; maybe switch out based on terrain.....

Mo from Awesome MTB YouTube channel (Ibis sponsored) is getting a Jade X to try on his Ripmo AF back to back with the Topaz. I for one am very interested to hear his comparison. I'm still in the "can't decide" camp when it comes to air vs coil on the RAF!

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
Metalman73 wrote:
Decided to sell my Ripmo AF -Size Large with coil. If anyone's interested let me know. Great bike but going carbon. Evil
Don't suppose you'd ship internationally?

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
reginald68 wrote:
Carbonman73 ? Wink

That's funny.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009086
Mobile Version of Website