Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
I decided to just bite the bullet and buy some SLX 4 pots for my NX build. I’ll fit them once it arrives and sell the guide t brakes as new.

I really like the lever shape of Shimano brakes and although I’ve been impressed with the Codes on my Capra, they can be annoying with sticky pistons and as the pads wear the lever pull gets closer and closer to the bars to the point where I have to top up the oil or swap out half used pads.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
Hey All, looking at picking up a Ripmo AF in the next couple of weeks. Working with a bike shop that offers a fair amount of customization beyond Ibis when specing a build. I had a couple of questions I wanted to get some thoughts around. First, planning to go with an NX drive train build and then upgrade as things wear out. I see that brakes are a typical upgrade from the Guide T. Anything else you would swap out of the box? Was possibly thinking about upgrading from the KS to Bike Yoke, but I had a KS on my last bike and it worked fine.

The main thing I was contemplating was a full upgrade from the DVO suspension to Fox Factory suspension front and rear (36 Grip 2 and X2). I will be honest and say that's some bias on my side towards Fox suspension. I was curious what others using the DVO would think of making that switch? I can actually get full factory suspension for a good price on the NX build and keep it in my budget. My thoughts were potentially wear out the problem parts on the NX build (derailleur, cassette, chain, brakes, etc.) but have a suspension setup that I will never need or want to upgrade?

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
mountainbrewer wrote:
Hey All, looking at picking up a Ripmo AF in the next couple of weeks. Working with a bike shop that offers a fair amount of customization beyond Ibis when specing a build. I had a couple of questions I wanted to get some thoughts around. First, planning to go with an NX drive train build and then upgrade as things wear out. I see that brakes are a typical upgrade from the Guide T. Anything else you would swap out of the box? Was possibly thinking about upgrading from the KS to Bike Yoke, but I had a KS on my last bike and it worked fine.

The main thing I was contemplating was a full upgrade from the DVO suspension to Fox Factory suspension front and rear (36 Grip 2 and X2). I will be honest and say that's some bias on my side towards Fox suspension. I was curious what others using the DVO would think of making that switch? I can actually get full factory suspension for a good price on the NX build and keep it in my budget. My thoughts were potentially wear out the problem parts on the NX build (derailleur, cassette, chain, brakes, etc.) but have a suspension setup that I will never need or want to upgrade?

If I had your option for swapping out individual components, I would choose a Shimano derailleur, because my NX clutch failed after 3 months. I've now ordered SLX derailleur, shifter, cassette and chain, although I'll be running the sram cassette and chain into the ground still. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but the Sram clutches can't be adjusted, and mine died way too quickly.

As for suspension, it totally depends on who you talk to. I love the DVO stuff. Some seem to be having trouble. I think part of it may be that DVO takes some time to wrap your head around the tuning mechanisms, and part of that may be inconsistancy in the product. I love mine, but If you want more feedback, search the rest of this forum, and check out the MTBR forum. There's lots of positive and negative DVO feedback over there.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
I decided to just bite the bullet and buy some SLX 4 pots for my NX build. I’ll fit them once it arrives and sell the guide t brakes as new.

I really like the lever shape of Shimano brakes and although I’ve been impressed with the Codes on my Capra, they can be annoying with sticky pistons and as the pads wear the lever pull gets closer and closer to the bars to the point where I have to top up the oil or swap out half used pads.

I upgraded to SLX and happy with my choice. Excellent modulation and that Shimano bite when needed

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
mountainbrewer wrote:

If you are able to get "credit" for the KS post by upgrading to BikeYoke or think you can sell the KS post for a decent amount, could make sense to do that from the beginning. I bought the NX build with KS post thinking I'd see how it works and go from there. Especially, since it's their budget post.

I was actually surprised. The KS post works better than my Reverb on my other bike. I'm just going to use it until it dies.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 11:03 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
I was actually surprised. The KS post works better than my Reverb on my other bike. I'm just going to use it until it dies.

Agreed. The KS post just works. It's another of the many affordable and reliable cartridge-based dropper posts. I'd liken them to the X-fusion Manic, that I've been running trouble free on other bikes for the last 2 years.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
Appreciate the feedback everyone. I am getting some trade in value on parts which is what makes the fox factory upgrade accessible. I'll keep doing some research, and see what I think.

I'm in the process of moving, and the Ripmo is not a common choice where I live now in Nebraska... So I can't even demo a bike until I am scoping out apartments in Asheville, NC, in a couple of weeks.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
mountainbrewer wrote:
Appreciate the feedback everyone. I am getting some trade in value on parts which is what makes the fox factory upgrade accessible. I'll keep doing some research, and see what I think.

I'm in the process of moving, and the Ripmo is not a common choice where I live now in Nebraska... So I can't even demo a bike until I am scoping out apartments in Asheville, NC, in a couple of weeks.

+1 for the Fox/BikeYoke stuff right out of the gate if the shop is crediting you and you're within budget. Obviously the brakes too. I switched from Hopes (tech 3 e4) to Zees a year ago and am reminded every ride how good a decision it was. Most of my crew are on shimano 4 pots, though i've got nothing against Codes.

Good luck with the move.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
mountainbrewer wrote:

I got my Ripmo with the KS only becuase the bike yoke was backordered for like 3 months. I did eventually upgrade to the Bike Yoke 185 when I could find one at a good price but all the KS droppers are solid. I have them on my kids bike and never any issue. Not as smooth as the Bike Yoke, but it’s not $400 either.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
Bump
This bike laughs at bumps Smile

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
reginald68 wrote:
THE-GUNT wrote:
Bump
This bike laughs at bumps Smile

Truth

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
Any of you know if I could use 35mm SKF low friction seal in the diamond instead of their own seals?

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 18:07 Quote
Goonther wrote:
Any of you know if I could use 35mm SKF low friction seal in the diamond instead of their own seals?

On the DVO thread they mentioned it is not compatible.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
Hey I just got a ripmo af, 2 days after I got it, I then I took the wheel off to put protection on the rear triangle when I put it back on it started to squeak but the squeaking only happens when you put weight on the pedals and then move forward. i tried greasing the axle but that did not hel.

thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007415
Mobile Version of Website