Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: May 14, 2020 at 23:02 Quote
Funny to me how DVO setup the HSC on the Diamond to have 29 total clicks but most people won't need more than 10 clicks per their base tune chart.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 23:02 Quote
Superfli wrote:

Oh and yes, you shouldnt have many turns. 2clicks for me, although I cant feel the clicks, so I think I have it at 1 turn

Just checked and its about 6 clicks per turn. So I should actually be on 1/3 of a turn, which I have just set mine too (although it felt fine at 1 turn). I go by the writing on the dial

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
Okay, fine, I guess that's how DVO does it. Confusing, as that's not standard procedure. Fox, RockShox, EXT, MRP, and I'm sure others count clicks from fully closed, as that's a hard stop, whereas fully open may only stop when a shaft runs out of threads or some form of safety stop is encountered, which is usually a less consistent datum.

I just checked out the Diamond tuning videos and set-up guide. The LSC is reversed, with clockwise rotation decreasing the LSC. Other adjusters function normally (CW = more damping). Definitely a fork that requires reading the manual!

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 3:13 Quote
I think its just rebound where you work from closed rather than open

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
Counting clicks from open makes infinity more sense to me. More damping = more clicks.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
the-wylie-man wrote:
I think its just rebound where you work from closed rather than open

That's certainly the most obvious case for it, where a needle valve is fully bottomed out.

mammal wrote:
Counting clicks from open makes infinity more sense to me. More damping = more clicks.

I'm just telling you how every other damper manufacturer does it. I agree the "clicks from closed" may be less intuitive, but this isn't about being user-friendly, it's about how the damper actually works. For example, some adjustments that claim to have X clicks may actually have X±1 clicks, so there's uncertainty somewhere in the system due to manufacturing inconsistencies. The one thing that we know for certain - especially on a needle valve - is that closed is closed when two pieces are bottomed out against one another, so that has to be the reference point.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
Superfli wrote:
Superfli wrote:

Oh and yes, you shouldnt have many turns. 2clicks for me, although I cant feel the clicks, so I think I have it at 1 turn

Just checked and its about 6 clicks per turn. So I should actually be on 1/3 of a turn, which I have just set mine too (although it felt fine at 1 turn). I go by the writing on the dial

I'm at 5 clicks of HSC but still dialing it in. Interesting as on steep, slow terrain hitting obstacles at a slow pace she sags further into the travel than taking a 5-6 foot drop... maybe I need to add some LSC on the steeps to keep her higher. Sag seems fine, less than my last fork (Lyrik charger 1 at about 25%, guessing about 20% on the Diamond).

Anyway after 14 rides on the Jade-X I had my first ride on the Topaz this morn. Will wait a bit before weighing in. I'm very tempted to keep both and wait until their progressive coil drops later this year. Current rumors range from 3-6 months.

I checked w/ Cane Creek and their progressive spring should fit right on with no additional hardware per feedback from customers though they don't have an official 'yes it fits' position. I just don't dig the white.

I also checked with MRP and their heaviest progressive spring likely won't fit the Jade-X. Theirs have a longer stroke also so I believe you'll actually lose some of the ramp up putting a coil built around a 65mm stroke on a 55mm stroke shock.

Anyway, I started w/ 0 negative and 2 positive spacers in the Topaz, 25% sag and 200psi in the mini chamber and am running the off-the-shelf tune, assuming it's M/M. DVO thought the Ibis traction tune may not be best for a 200+ lb rider plus i didn't want to faff with Ibis via my LBS and be waiting for two months for the shock. Dirt Merchant Cyclery out of Boulder shipped my Topaz same day and I had it in two days for $425. Will likely drop sag another millimeter to 27.5%.

Noticed from the first ride the bike is easier to hop, jump, and throw around vs the coil. But I'll bet that dvo progressive coil is going to be the business for a lot of riders on this bike!

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
I think the topaz is a brilliant shock. It’s so supple and when jumping it feels so poppy. I can’t imagine how the coil could be any better. Respect to DVO and if the Jade X is better then even more so.

Posted: May 15, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
i'm really liking my bike. I'm coming from a 2012 SJ Evo 29er. That thing was a squishy noodle. The RAF is much more firm on more tame trails. Once it gets up to speed though, things get smooth.

It came with a 550 spring, too stiff a rate for me.

Anyone want to swap a 500lb spring for my 550? its the standard DVO LS spring that they come with.
thanks
-rb

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
3 months in on this bike and I am really feeling like I got it dialed in. I was fortunate enough to get a good deal on some FSA carbon wheels, which (along with cush core in the rear) made a very nice difference. Found a way to squeeze a big bottle on the frame, ditched the SLX 12-speed for an XT 11-speed and now I'm having a hard time thinking about what's next to upgrade.
I'm 6"1" 180lbs on a size large. Running about 185psi out back and 125 up front. I still can't get over how well this bike climbs. We all knew it'd be a great descender, and I'm sure there are better descending bikes out there, but man this thing can really do it all so so well.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
Deets on the bottle setup?

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 19:22 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:

It’s a planet bike side loader cage. Just drilled some new holes in the cage to make it sit lower and then found some flat head screws to attach to the bike

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 19:45 Quote
nickmay26 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

It’s a planet bike side loader cage. Just drilled some new holes in the cage to make it sit lower and then found some flat head screws to attach to the bike

Perfect. My one hesitation with the Ripmo was how small of bottle you normally see on it. That’s an easy workaround.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
Yeah I was looking at my bottle cage yesterday and thinking if I extended the slots or drilled new holes I might be able to fit a bigger bottle in. So you’ve inspired me to give it a go.

“ I still can't get over how well this bike climbs.”

Same here. I am even starting to plan rides around hitting those climbs that I’ve never been able to clean before Big Grin

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
Any Ripmo AF/V2 owners have experience with the DPX2 from the Ripmo V1? Have a coil on my AF and want to buy an air shock, seeing good deals on the DPX2 from V1's out there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006607
Mobile Version of Website