PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 3:42 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
nickmay26 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Deets on the bottle setup?

It’s a planet bike side loader cage. Just drilled some new holes in the cage to make it sit lower and then found some flat head screws to attach to the bike

Perfect. My one hesitation with the Ripmo was how small of bottle you normally see on it. That’s an easy workaround.

I have a v1 Ripmo and can fit a 24oz podium bottle quite easily with the Arundle Side Loader. I can’t imagine the clearance is much different on the AF.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 3:51 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
nickmay26 wrote:

It’s a planet bike side loader cage. Just drilled some new holes in the cage to make it sit lower and then found some flat head screws to attach to the bike

Perfect. My one hesitation with the Ripmo was how small of bottle you normally see on it. That’s an easy workaround.

I have a v1 Ripmo and can fit a 24oz podium bottle quite easily with the Arundle Side Loader. I can’t imagine the clearance is much different on the AF.

I actually found it on their site, says you can fit a 22oz purist bottle while using the Arundle side loader on all frame sizes.

I remember seeing a video from Jeff Kendall-Weed saying IBIS does all their bottle tests with the Arundle side loaders, so that’s a good option if you don’t want to mess around with drilling new holes and a guaranteed good fit.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
I have a Specialized Zee cage on mine, no drilling necessary and fits a 20oz bottle with a coil shock.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
Floating the idea of a frame swap..... send me a PM if you have a large and want to go up to a XL

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
nickmay26 wrote:
3 months in on this bike and I am really feeling like I got it dialed in. I was fortunate enough to get a good deal on some FSA carbon wheels, which (along with cush core in the rear) made a very nice difference. Found a way to squeeze a big bottle on the frame, ditched the SLX 12-speed for an XT 11-speed and now I'm having a hard time thinking about what's next to upgrade.
I'm 6"1" 180lbs on a size large. Running about 185psi out back and 125 up front. I still can't get over how well this bike climbs. We all knew it'd be a great descender, and I'm sure there are better descending bikes out there, but man this thing can really do it all so so well.

photo

how the frik did you get that pump on I cant get anything on my ripmos bottle cage mounts

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
nickmay26 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

Hey Nick, any chance you could share a pic of your hole placement on the Side Loader? I'd just like to confirm it's the same one as I'm about to buy, and interested in where the holes went.

Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
My Ripmo AF Large , weighs around 15.5kg . Thinking of ditching some stuff to lose some weight and since i will swap the stock nx chainring for a gx one , im thinking of going with a 30t instead of the 32t. On every ride i have at least 1000m of positive elevation.
Dont really know if the 30t will make a major difference.
What you guys have on your 29er? 30t or 32t???

PS. Only 12sp 10-50 Users Wink

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
28 T with a 9 - 46 T cassette. Almost never use the 9 T, though.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:27 Quote
mammal wrote:
nickmay26 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

Hey Nick, any chance you could share a pic of your hole placement on the Side Loader? I'd just like to confirm it's the same one as I'm about to buy, and interested in where the holes went.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a Wolf Tooth B-RAD 3 bracket out in the garage ready to mount. With that my planet bike side loader will stay where it's at and my mini pump will mount higher up. Will send photo after it's installed.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
I've got a Wolf Tooth B-RAD 3 bracket out in the garage ready to mount. With that my planet bike side loader will stay where it's at and my mini pump will mount higher up. Will send photo after it's installed.

That may be useful for others, but I'm just looking for the cheapest option to run a slightly larger bottle than I currently am. Not so interested in buying a $60 cage or $40 plate. Cheers though!

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
nickmay26 wrote:
3 months in on this bike and I am really feeling like I got it dialed in. I was fortunate enough to get a good deal on some FSA carbon wheels, which (along with cush core in the rear) made a very nice difference. Found a way to squeeze a big bottle on the frame, ditched the SLX 12-speed for an XT 11-speed and now I'm having a hard time thinking about what's next to upgrade.
I'm 6"1" 180lbs on a size large. Running about 185psi out back and 125 up front. I still can't get over how well this bike climbs. We all knew it'd be a great descender, and I'm sure there are better descending bikes out there, but man this thing can really do it all so so well.

photo

how the frik did you get that pump on I cant get anything on my ripmos bottle cage mounts

I’ll be able to get a picture soon, with the planet bike cage it has cutouts that you can stick screws through, pretty sure I messed around with that until I found the right spot. Looking back I don’t think there was much drilling, just widening one of those cutouts

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
mammal wrote:
I'm just looking for the cheapest option to run a slightly larger bottle than I currently am. Not so interested in buying a $60 cage or $40 plate. Cheers though!

• Louis Garneau Lateral #2 cage (and similar designs) move the bottle rearward maybe a centimetre because it's symmetrical over the bosses.
• King Cage Lowering Cage does the same.
Shimano SM-BA01 mount is an alternative to the B-Rad.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
Much appreciated RMR, but I think the $10 Bike Planet from MEC (slightly modified), may be the best bet for me. Other then the Louis Garneau (will that actually retain a bottle at full boar??), these are not "value choices".

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
I use the Garneau and have never had a bottle shift. I can only fit small bottles, so there's a chance a large bottle would be less secure.

The Shimano bracket can often be found on clearance or on eBay for about the price of that Planet Bike cage.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
I have a 3k budget, and i narrowed it down to the ripmo af nx and the yt jeffsy comp, im leaning toward the ripmo just because ill get it way sooner and they have a better warranty, what are your thoughts?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.100396
Mobile Version of Website