Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
Got some settings to try from Geoff at dvo. Want to make sure I do this right. He says cw and ccw ? Want to make sure I adjust everything the right direction.
Also suggested taking a negative reducer out of rear shock. What does that effect?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
mammal wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Ah, I was on autopilot with that reply. There's no reason you couldn't use a reducer, though. Could throw any chunk of plastic in there and it'll do the job.

Adjust one thing at a time so you can separate the variables.

I've heard talk of adding oil to the air spring for volume spacing in the Diamond, but haven't heard of anyone using spacers. Not that it isn't possible.
https://nsmb.com/articles/dvo-diamond-long-term-review-2/

Yes, I used to do this with some old Fox 32 forks many years ago. I have also done the same fairly recently with some xfusion sweeps. Same as tokens, just reducing the volume of the air chamber, so the spring ramps up quicker.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
Superfli wrote:
mammal wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Ah, I was on autopilot with that reply. There's no reason you couldn't use a reducer, though. Could throw any chunk of plastic in there and it'll do the job.

I've heard talk of adding oil to the air spring for volume spacing in the Diamond, but haven't heard of anyone using spacers. Not that it isn't possible.

Yes, I used to do this with some old Fox 32 forks many years ago. I have also done the same fairly recently with some xfusion sweeps. Same as tokens, just reducing the volume of the air chamber, so the spring ramps up quicker.

Yes, very common practice with pre-token spacer forks.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
mammal wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

RMR is simply stating volume reduction can be done without a special reducer made by the manufacturer. Oil is a good suggestion, please don’t shove a chunk of random plastic into your air chamber, it may become stuck and then you are shit out of luck, but may provide some entertainment for your local ibis dealer.

This is a good application for a 3D printing project.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 11:17 Quote
motorcross1200 wrote:
Got some settings to try from Geoff at dvo. Want to make sure I do this right. He says cw and ccw ? Want to make sure I adjust everything the right direction.
Also suggested taking a negative reducer out of rear shock. What does that effect?

Topaz (or any shock) negative air chamber as I understand it:

*the larger the chamber the less force needed to initiate travel
*the larger the chamber the more psi needed for a given sag point (vs w/ spacers)
*the higher psi will give you more mid stroke and bottom out support whilst still being nice n supple
*adding neg spacers allows you to drop the psi a little to reach the same sag point... I guess if the shock is feeling too active? not entirely sure why you'd add spacers to the neg chamber.

Shredders weigh in on the above.

My Topaz spacers are set up 0 neg, and 2 positive at ~27.5% (~15mm) sag. I dropped to 30% sag and it was not supportive enough which means go back to 27.5 (bump absorption was fine for me) or add a 3rd positive and keep it at 30%.

Neither here nor there but I threw the jade-x on again last night and rode it this morn and will likely get a custom tune and keep it and sell the Topaz.... unless i change my mind tomorrow.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
motorcross1200 wrote:

Topaz (or any shock) negative air chamber as I understand it:

*the larger the chamber the less force needed to initiate travel
*the larger the chamber the more psi needed for a given sag point (vs w/ spacers)
*the higher psi will give you more mid stroke and bottom out support whilst still being nice n supple
*adding neg spacers allows you to drop the psi a little to reach the same sag point... I guess if the shock is feeling too active? not entirely sure why you'd add spacers to the neg chamber.

Shredders weigh in on the above.

My Topaz spacers are set up 0 neg, and 2 positive at ~27.5% (~15mm) sag. I dropped to 30% sag and it was not supportive enough which means go back to 27.5 (bump absorption was fine for me) or add a 3rd positive and keep it at 30%.

Neither here nor there but I threw the jade-x on again last night and rode it this morn and will likely get a custom tune and keep it and sell the Topaz.... unless i change my mind tomorrow.

I interpreted Moto's post as saying that it was suggested for him to remove spacer(s) from the negative side. Perhaps the confusion is the term "negative reducer" as opposed to spacer (but, yeah, it would reduce the volume, so not wrong).

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
Any other regrets?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Any reason it has to be one or the other? A review of the tools available to you:

• Pressure: Increases support at all points, regardless of shaft speed.
• Volume reducers: Increases support only nearly the end of the stroke.
• HSC: Increases support only when the shaft is moving quickly.

Any of these can help reduce bottoming out on drops, but they could have negative (or positive) consequences in other situations. The right solution depends on how you feel about the suspension in these other situations.

DVO has volume reducers for the Diamond? I know the Diamonds claim to fame is the adjustable negative air spring.

Might try less psi and more HSC and see how it does. I had like 125psi in it and no HSC when I did the drop so I went to 115psi and 2 full turns of HSC.

Are you in the 180lbs range with gear on? I currently have 125psi and 3 "clicks" of HSC (when you say 2 full turns, would that be 2 x 10 = 20 "clicks"?) and have never bottomed out the Diamond, but I'm thinking my technique might be back heavy right now as I keep bottoming out the rear and trying to balance shock setup with improving technique. might try reducing psi to 115 like you did to see if i can use more of fork, even after focusing on my technique.

I say "clicks" since like others have said, it's hard to feel them so easier to look at the numbers and use a reference point.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 6:52 Quote
oftherocks wrote:
Are you in the 180lbs range with gear on? I currently have 125psi and 3 "clicks" of HSC (when you say 2 full turns, would that be 2 x 10 = 20 "clicks"?) and have never bottomed out the Diamond, but I'm thinking my technique might be back heavy right now as I keep bottoming out the rear and trying to balance shock setup with improving technique. might try reducing psi to 115 like you did to see if i can use more of fork, even after focusing on my technique.

I say "clicks" since like others have said, it's hard to feel them so easier to look at the numbers and use a reference point.

I am around 180 with gear, yes. And by 2 full turns, I guess that means 20 clicks? I'm going to ride some drops tomorrow and see what happens. Its interesting how most people are on the low end of the HSC adjustment. Have you pulled your fork apart to see if there is oil in them? Mine only had oil in the damper side but now there is oil in the air spring side. Believe I did 15CCs in the air spring side and 25CCs in the damper side. Maybe I'll put 25CCs in the air side and see what happens.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
umairica wrote:
Any other regrets?

I have to say one regret is not putting protection on some spots the bike is beutiful. also you could not fit a bottle cage to save you from going to hell I can not find the right bottle cage(thats wha=y I'm 3d printing most of those parts.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
umairica wrote:
Any other regrets?

I have to say one regret is not putting protection on some spots the bike is beutiful. also you could not fit a bottle cage to save you from going to hell I can not find the right bottle cage(thats wha=y I'm 3d printing most of those parts.

Bike was designed to fit the Arundle Side Loder cage, I understand some don’t want to put a $65 carbon cage on their bike but the Arundle Flipflop looks to be about the same profile and 1/3 the cost. Curious if anyone has tried that cage yet?

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
umairica wrote:
Any other regrets?

there are a bunch of cages that work. My planet bike side loader was $10 and I’ve seen Lezyne side loafers too. you do have to flex the exit cables around the cage. could also use an offset mount to move the cage a little higher but might not fit larger bottles.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:57 Quote
Specialized Zee cage works like a champ on my large.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Zee on my medium is fine too. Also had a pump holder on same mount

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005878
Mobile Version of Website