Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
Zee cage works on mine too, its been said many times in this thread haha. But here is a link for those who are interested in a BOTTLE CAGE THAT FITS.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/zee-cage-ii--right/p/172378?color=274170-172378&searchText=43020-2114

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
New guy here. I just read this whole thread this weekend. Thanks to everyone for all the info. I learned a lot about this bike and it seems to fit most of the wants and wishes I am after so no reason to rehash many of the points here. However there is one topic on this bike that is a bit illusive. Who is this bike for and is it right for me ?

I am 63 yrs, 6'2", 200lbs. I want an affordable nice/good all around full suspension trail bike that I can use for anything in the dirt. I have a Seven steel frame 29er w/120 mm fork so this will be a second choice to ride for me. I am not fast but can get a little spirited down hill. Well maybe not but it seems like it. Out of control feels fast. Ha.

I originally started out looking for a 120 rear 29er trail bike but evolved into this. The difference in suspension travel from 120 to 145 is only an inch or so. I don't know what the down side to this is other than falling deeper in to the travel.

I would almost certainly go for the NX build XL frame and the Jade X Coil. My LBS is an IBIS dealer but their hours are so short and the line out front looks like Costco Jr. I have never seen this bike in person. Jenson is an option.

So, is this bike for me ? Is it too much bike for me ? Just buy it and don't look back ?

Thanks for any advice.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 4:38 Quote
Im using a Syncros Sideloader and fits a 650ml water bottle perfectly fine. I don't know why its so hard for some of you to find the proper bottle cage.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
Is anybody running a 170mm fork and do you have any feedback on the changes to handling?

I figure I can drop my stem by 10mm to offset the increase in front end height, just need to dig up the axle to crown difference between the Diamond and a Lyrik to get all nerdy with it.

I could use an extra few mm of bb height for the tech trails and why not a tad slacker and burlier up front too? My last bike was set up 135r/160f, so 147r/170f doesn't seem out of line in terms of the mismatched travel being too extreme.

Just curious. As with all new bikes I typically spend the first couple months obsessing over tweaks. And if I swapped out the Diamond for Lyrik it would be easy to go back to a 160mm air shaft in the Lyrik. Too bad the Diamond doesn't go to 170.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
For anyone with the SLX build, are the cranks 172mm Q factor? Kind of wanting to try 165mm XT cranks, I believe FC-M8100-1 is going to be the right part number.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
stan29 wrote:
New guy here. I just read this whole thread this weekend. Thanks to everyone for all the info. I learned a lot about this bike and it seems to fit most of the wants and wishes I am after so no reason to rehash many of the points here. However there is one topic on this bike that is a bit illusive. Who is this bike for and is it right for me ?

I am 63 yrs, 6'2", 200lbs. I want an affordable nice/good all around full suspension trail bike that I can use for anything in the dirt. I have a Seven steel frame 29er w/120 mm fork so this will be a second choice to ride for me. I am not fast but can get a little spirited down hill. Well maybe not but it seems like it. Out of control feels fast. Ha.

I originally started out looking for a 120 rear 29er trail bike but evolved into this. The difference in suspension travel from 120 to 145 is only an inch or so. I don't know what the down side to this is other than falling deeper in to the travel.

I would almost certainly go for the NX build XL frame and the Jade X Coil. My LBS is an IBIS dealer but their hours are so short and the line out front looks like Costco Jr. I have never seen this bike in person. Jenson is an option.

So, is this bike for me ? Is it too much bike for me ? Just buy it and don't look back ?

Thanks for any advice.

To let you know, Jensson isnt realy an option either. I was able to get the last unaccounted for Ripmo AF out until August or September.....and i still have to wait until the end of June if I am lucky.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
stan29 wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

To let you know, Jensson isnt realy an option either. I was able to get the last unaccounted for Ripmo AF out until August or September.....and i still have to wait until the end of June if I am lucky.

If you are looking for an RAF or any Ibis at the current moment you might want to ask yourself if you want to ride this summer. Seems like Ibis is really really really behind on shipping of all frames. I ordered my RAF Mid April and my LBS is still waiting for my ship date from Ibis.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
stan29 wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

Without knowing more about what type of riding and terrain you hit the most, its hard to say. If you ride more jumps, drops and rock gardens it could be a good bike for you. If you like riding more flow trails and rarely hit drops, jumps and rock gardens, you'll probably be over biked with the RAF. It's definitely more a gravity oriented steed

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 21:03 Quote
Just wondering what the best most economical way to protect the frame of the af?

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
umairica wrote:
Just wondering what the best most economical way to protect the frame of the af?

Best - Invisiframe (or similar)
Most economical - well, I’d still say invisiframe. I have a 2018 Capra that has had a pretty hard life with lots of miles in horrendous conditions that we get here in the UK and the frame still looks new, and the invisiframe still as clean looking as the day it was applied. Had no doubts about putting it on my Ripmo AF.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 22:12 Quote
Sufferfestz wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:
stan29 wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

If you are looking for an RAF or any Ibis at the current moment you might want to ask yourself if you want to ride this summer. Seems like Ibis is really really really behind on shipping of all frames. I ordered my RAF Mid April and my LBS is still waiting for my ship date from Ibis.

The whole bike industry is behind. A global pandemic and a huge increase in demand for bikes has put a big hole in supply.
I was very very lucky to get mine when I did and that was thanks to my not so local but nearest Ibis shop. They straight out told me that shipments were continually being delayed and they couldn’t be certain when Ibis would be able to get them out due to lockdown and that if I wanted one this side of summer then I should try ringing round some of the other shops in the UK to see if they have one. He then gave me a list of a few options, one of which had a large RAF in stock. Would have been easy for them to take a deposit from me and have me wait. So I’m very grateful to them for their honesty and will be using them as much as possible from now on.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
The whole bike industry is behind. A global pandemic and a huge increase in demand for bikes has put a big hole in supply.
I was very very lucky to get mine when I did and that was thanks to my not so local but nearest Ibis shop. They straight out told me that shipments were continually being delayed and they couldn’t be certain when Ibis would be able to get them out due to lockdown and that if I wanted one this side of summer then I should try ringing round some of the other shops in the UK to see if they have one. He then gave me a list of a few options, one of which had a large RAF in stock. Would have been easy for them to take a deposit from me and have me wait. So I’m very grateful to them for their honesty and will be using them as much as possible from now on.

Ya I got really lucky when I got mine too. Literally a week before everyone shut down, including Ibis.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
stan29 wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

I purchased the Ripmo AF in March. Done a lot of riding since. Positives - DW LINK is amazing, very little peddle bob and I am a heavy rider (240lbs) and tend to mash. DVO suspension is so tunable. Really like its downhill and uphill prowess. It is a very lively and nimble bike for its size and travel. The assagi’s have loads of traction and monster truck Rough terrain. However the Assagi’s are so heavy it absolutely bogs down on and flatter terrain. Also in the techy singletrack on the east coast the pedal strikes are a problem. I have the SLX build and have considered buying smaller cranks to help with pebble strikes.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
For anyone with the SLX build, are the cranks 172mm Q factor? Kind of wanting to try 165mm XT cranks, I believe FC-M8100-1 is going to be the right part number.

I have the SLX and my biggest complaint is constant peddle strikes. I am seriously considering a switch to 165. I have the pressure dialed on the high side on the shock and fork and the low speed compression all the way up and it is still a problem. I do have the negative spring rate high, not sure if that is contributing. I do ride flats but I am running Diety compounds since I hoped their smaller profile would help with the strikes. Thinking about riding clipless just to avoid more strikes.

If anyone has other suggestions on how to lessen the strikes I would love to hear them.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
NERyder wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

I have the SLX and my biggest complaint is constant peddle strikes. I am seriously considering a switch to 165. I have the pressure dialed on the high side on the shock and fork and the low speed compression all the way up and it is still a problem. I do have the negative spring rate high, not sure if that is contributing. I do ride flats but I am running Diety compounds since I hoped their smaller profile would help with the strikes. Thinking about riding clipless just to avoid more strikes.

If anyone has other suggestions on how to lessen the strikes I would love to hear them.

Still plenty of strikes on rocky trails w/ my clipless HT T1s which a pretty low profile.

Shorter cranks seem like a reasonable idea if your legs/knees are ok with that.

I'm considering a fork swap to 170. Just for fun but also looking forward to 3-4mm extra bb height.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014101
Mobile Version of Website