Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
I used fox gold 20wt for my lowers (25ml each). Made a good difference. It really is a 30 min job. No need to remove damper or air cartridge, don't touch the tops apart from letting air out (to help pour oil in).

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 23:53 Quote
Superfli wrote:
I used fox gold 20wt for my lowers (25ml each). Made a good difference. It really is a 30 min job. No need to remove damper or air cartridge, don't touch the tops apart from letting air out (to help pour oil in).

That's quite an increase in viscosity over the recommended 7W, did you notice an increase in stiction, I've only really ever run RS forks and used a home brew lower lube of Ester based engine oil and some ATF or Gear Oil to give greater shear strength and a little more tackiness. Found it worked very well, but am hesitant to go so heavy in the DVO when the spec such a light oil.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:04 Quote
Npboeuf wrote:
SubMarined wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:


Be interesting to hear, I've been told no change by LBS, and good luck with 2 Pure
2Pure have got back to me and said they're in the process of updating their website, and the spec for any bikes not currently in stock at dealers will be the same spec as the US site.
Next drop due 'August/September' and ' retain the DVO rear shock and fork option although the current forks may be an upgraded specification.'

Whether that means that they'll be coming with an Onyx, our that you have to pay extra for the DVO fork, I'm not sure.

This tracks with what the bike shop I bought from says. I contacted them (Competitive Cycles) yesterday and they said late August/early September was when they would get the bikes.

That sucks a bit I want my new shiney - can live with it if we get Onyx and Deore for same money

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:45 Quote
I can confirm that the fox gold 20wt made my fork butter smooth

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:06 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
Superfli wrote:
I used fox gold 20wt for my lowers (25ml each). Made a good difference. It really is a 30 min job. No need to remove damper or air cartridge, don't touch the tops apart from letting air out (to help pour oil in).

That's quite an increase in viscosity over the recommended 7W, did you notice an increase in stiction, I've only really ever run RS forks and used a home brew lower lube of Ester based engine oil and some ATF or Gear Oil to give greater shear strength and a little more tackiness. Found it worked very well, but am hesitant to go so heavy in the DVO when the spec such a light oil.

It works lovely. very smooth, although I havent got ride of the slight stiction at standstill. I saw this recommended on the DVO thread.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
i used fox gold also. due to the potential dry lowers i dropped and replaced before my first ride so i cant compare. Butter smooth. A quart of fox gold was $14usd and will last me YEARS even if i replaced monthly.

since i had it on the shelf i replaced it in my pikes while i was waiting for my AF to come in. It made a pretty big difference there.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
i used fox gold also. due to the potential dry lowers i dropped and replaced before my first ride so i cant compare. Butter smooth. A quart of fox gold was $14usd and will last me YEARS even if i replaced monthly.

since i had it on the shelf i replaced it in my pikes while i was waiting for my AF to come in. It made a pretty big difference there.

It's going to work great in any fork with newer modern seals. It's too thick for the older generations of seals, and will weep too much onto the stanchions. It's got great additives that make it a very good lowers-specific lubricant.

If anyone's worried about the high viscosity (the oil not migrating around enough on it's own), it can be mixed with other oils as well, to add different characteristics. Someone on the MTBR thread said their suspension shop mixed Gold with a specific kind of synthetic motor oil. My suspension shop (DVO authorized) recommended straight up Gold, as that's what they'd run.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
mammal wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:
i used fox gold also. due to the potential dry lowers i dropped and replaced before my first ride so i cant compare. Butter smooth. A quart of fox gold was $14usd and will last me YEARS even if i replaced monthly.

since i had it on the shelf i replaced it in my pikes while i was waiting for my AF to come in. It made a pretty big difference there.

It's going to work great in any fork with newer modern seals. It's too thick for the older generations of seals, and will weep too much onto the stanchions. It's got great additives that make it a very good lowers-specific lubricant.

If anyone's worried about the high viscosity (the oil not migrating around enough on it's own), it can be mixed with other oils as well, to add different characteristics. Someone on the MTBR thread said their suspension shop mixed Gold with a specific kind of synthetic motor oil. My suspension shop (DVO authorized) recommended straight up Gold, as that's what they'd run.

good point. i have heard 1:1 or 1:2 with mobile 1 synthetic. Since i ride down to 10f in the winter i was going to try a 1:1 mix since its so thick.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
good point. i have heard 1:1 or 1:2 with mobile 1 synthetic. Since i ride down to 10f in the winter i was going to try a 1:1 mix since its so thick.

Probably a good call. My only data point is the Fox 34 on my hard tail. In the last year I've been riding down to around -5C or so (23F), without any Gold weeping past the seals. -12C is definitely getting down there though, so probably safer to mix it for that application.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 17:29 Quote
Well its not pretty but it works damn good! VHS tape is the product


Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Well its not pretty but it works damn good! VHS tape is the product


Super cool, thanks for the update! I'm off to build some Mastic pyramids...

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
hey guys I have 2 questions about the diamond
1st when I torque the through axle down too 7nm and then loosen the axle it makes a snapping noise(when I loosen it only)
2nd when I hop up and down on the fork that sounds like a cable smacking the fork but I know its not a cable because I did the absolute best too stop smaking anything I could just be stupid and not have proteceted the cables enough.

are these things normal.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 22:00 Quote
mammal wrote:
Super cool, thanks for the update! I'm off to build some Mastic pyramids...

Do it! I really wish Ibis would put some time into making good chainstay guards for all their bikes.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 2:59 Quote
Superfli wrote:
I used fox gold 20wt for my lowers (25ml each). Made a good difference. It really is a 30 min job. No need to remove damper or air cartridge, don't touch the tops apart from letting air out (to help pour oil in).

Thanks for this. So is this all there is to it? - let all air out, turn bike upside down and remove both adjusters with an 18mm socket, put in 25ml each side and then tighten back up to 10Nm? Thanks

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 4:38 Quote
vizsla99 wrote:
Superfli wrote:
I used fox gold 20wt for my lowers (25ml each). Made a good difference. It really is a 30 min job. No need to remove damper or air cartridge, don't touch the tops apart from letting air out (to help pour oil in).

Thanks for this. So is this all there is to it? - let all air out, turn bike upside down and remove both adjusters with an 18mm socket, put in 25ml each side and then tighten back up to 10Nm? Thanks

You'll need to knock the bolts loose from the lowers, by leaving a few turns off thread in them and knocking with a rubber mallet. Once loose, remove and drain oil. I'd actually take lowers off as well to ensure all oil has drained. Caliper and cable guide off to do that.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007417
Mobile Version of Website