Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 1:21 Quote
SubMarined wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
So my Ripmo AF turned up today, not Savanna Red but Silver. I can't wait any longer, apparently no red bikes hit the UK. That said it shipped with a DVO Onyx instead of the Diamond which is an upgrade. Happy camper

Anyone stopped the cable ports over to make it more suited to Moto brakes?
Congrats! And as above, when did you order it?
What groupset did you order/did it come with?
I've had a silver NX build on order since June (nothing like as long as some) so interested to see what I will get. Way more buoyed by the prospect of Onyx than of base Fox!

Ordered 20 Apr, SLX build kit. But to be honest there are cheaper ways to do it. If it was now I'd go with the Deore set up and change out a few bits. The Onyx is a massive plus.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 5:31 Quote
I would be ok with an Onyx, I'm sure it's solid and would be especially good for enduro folks...but I still hope mine shows up with the Diamond. I don't need a more burly fork for my riding, not to mention the added weight. The DVO site has the 29 Onyx listed at 2150, the same weight as the Diamond (and less than the 27.5 Onyx), but a few online sites have it listed at 2290g (claimed), which would make more sense. So it's likely in the range of an additional half pound over the Diamond. I know, it's a 35 lb bike, what's a half pound...but the weight does keep adding up on the AF, especially the low end build. Of course, the Onyx is a natural fit for this burly bike in the Ibis lineup, pushing it even more toward enduro/big hit down-focused.

Can someone sell me on the Onyx over the Diamond? Are there more benefits past it simply being a stiffer/heavier fork?

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 5:47 Quote
I ordered my GX Orange bike a bit before father's day. ETA is September. Personally I'm stoked about the Onyx. I didn't buy this bike to be light, I want all the confidence it can give back on the sendy descents.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 6:03 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
ashfuel wrote:
any hacks for cable rattle? I tried taping the cable then pushing it inside, seems to work but only temporary

Jagwire makes foam tubes you can run your lines through. Amazon has cheap hydration pack hose insulation for cheap that also works well.

Good suggestion with the hydration foam, I have one somewhere, now to find it lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
Got an email last night to say they are expecting frame and build kit today , so should be good for a shakedown weekend in the forest next weekend !

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
Internal routing foam:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-internal-routing-anti-vibration-foam/?sku=102045659

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 1:31 Quote
makkag wrote:
Got an email last night to say they are expecting frame and build kit today , so should be good for a shakedown weekend in the forest next weekend !

Excellent news.
One thing I’ve found is getting that sag on the rear spot on really makes the difference. When I got the bike I just set it about 30% as that’s what I generally settled on for my previous bikes and that was alright but I found I had to use the trail mode a lot more as it could feel quite wallowy when climbing or putting the power down. I just happened to read on the ibis website that sag should be 14mm on the rear, so set it at that and the back end feels way better. Both when climbing and also on descents.
Now I only ever use the switch if I’m on the road for an extended period.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 1:49 Quote
So, definitely going to tidy up the cable routing to enable me to run moto brake set up with two lines on RHS of the frame and one on the left.

So are the cable port covers plastic or metal and are they the ones listed on the Ibis website (UK0. I think I will need the same one as is fitted on the bottom of the down tube on the RHS of the headstock. Yes I know I might have to enlarge the hole ion the frame a bit.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 1:51 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
makkag wrote:

Excellent news.
One thing I’ve found is getting that sag on the rear spot on really makes the difference. When I got the bike I just set it about 30% as that’s what I generally settled on for my previous bikes and that was alright but I found I had to use the trail mode a lot more as it could feel quite wallowy when climbing or putting the power down. I just happened to read on the ibis website that sag should be 14mm on the rear, so set it at that and the back end feels way better. Both when climbing and also on descents.

Indeed - fingers crossed its with the onyx and carbon bars that most seem to be getting - Just gotta get the spring sorted now so much conflicting advice . Go progressive / don't go progressive / different Lbs springs etc .

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 2:24 Quote
makkag wrote:
muggomagic wrote:
makkag wrote:

Excellent news.

Indeed - fingers crossed its with the onyx and carbon bars that most seem to be getting - Just gotta get the spring sorted now so much conflicting advice . Go progressive / don't go progressive / different Lbs springs etc .

That’s kind of why I went for the topaz in the end. I know I can get a air shock set up with minimal fuss and when I contacted DVO they even suggested that the jade x could do with a re tune due to my husky bod. That was the final nail in the coffin for the jade x for me. Saying that I do keep my eye out for a sale or 2nd hand compatible coil shock as I’d like to give it a go at some point.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 3:26 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
makkag wrote:
muggomagic wrote:

Excellent news.

That’s kind of why I went for the topaz in the end. I know I can get a air shock set up with minimal fuss and when I contacted DVO they even suggested that the jade x could do with a re tune due to my husky bod. That was the final nail in the coffin for the jade x for me. Saying that I do keep my eye out for a sale or 2nd hand compatible coil shock as I’d like to give it a go at some point.

Its a Risk and I'm a "sturdy" 94kg so may be a mistake, but never had a coil and riding buddys rave about their's so thought id give it a go and if I don't like it plenty of air cans around on the 2nd hand market . its the reverse of my current setup as I'm coil front /air rear - (Ribbon/Kirk) which is like a magic carpet - The bike was so good at BPW on Saturday it was like It knew it could be our last hurrah .. As its DVO my local tuners are curious and have asked me to bring the whole bike in for an evaluation before making a recommendation and setup . Will be a bit of a learning process that's for sure.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
IBIS USA have now listed the Ripmo AF cable ports. Fir those that fancy alternate cable routing, ie double port on RHS of frame, suits moto brakes better, it does require a bit of frame hole enlargement.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
Anyone ever run a mullet setup on a Ripmo AF? Brian Lopes mullet HD5 looks legit! Mullet RAF might drop the bottom bracket way too much.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 22:10 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Anyone ever run a mullet setup on a Ripmo AF? Brian Lopes mullet HD5 looks legit! Mullet RAF might drop the bottom bracket way too much.

I certainly wouldn't want a lower BB.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 4:53 Quote
mammal wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

I certainly wouldn't want a lower BB.

Agreed completely. You would need to throw on some kids cranks if you ran a mullet or you would be peddle striking all day

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006313
Mobile Version of Website