Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
I ordered my AF Friday night. The delivery date was 11/06. Lame. I got an e-mail the next day with a ship date of 09/28. That’s promising.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
Does anyone know the length of the stem on Xl Nx built?

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
ashfuel wrote:
Does anyone know the length of the stem on Xl Nx built?

50mm

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
ashfuel wrote:
Does anyone know the length of the stem on Xl Nx built?

50mm

You can specify the stem length when you order, it’s not a set stem size.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
ashfuel wrote:
Does anyone know the length of the stem on Xl Nx built?

50mm

You can specify the stem length when you order, it’s not a set stem size.

So I'm 6'2" and wouldn't want to go shorter than a 50mm stem, the bike is not super long in the top tube, kind of equivalent to a Bird size Large, that said I'm really liking the sizing

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 14:01 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
SubMarined wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
So my Ripmo AF turned up today, not Savanna Red but Silver. I can't wait any longer, apparently no red bikes hit the UK. That said it shipped with a DVO Onyx instead of the Diamond which is an upgrade. Happy camper

Anyone stopped the cable ports over to make it more suited to Moto brakes?
Congrats! And as above, when did you order it?
What groupset did you order/did it come with?
I've had a silver NX build on order since June (nothing like as long as some) so interested to see what I will get. Way more buoyed by the prospect of Onyx than of base Fox!

Ordered 20 Apr, SLX build kit. But to be honest there are cheaper ways to do it. If it was now I'd go with the Deore set up and change out a few bits. The Onyx is a massive plus.

I've owned both the onyx and the diamond at the same time. I never put them on a scale but there was no difference in the weight feeling by hand. I'm pretty perceptive to weight change but still couldn't feel much of anything. The Onyx felt like a different fork though. It was much more stiff and more supple off the top. I thought I was crazy but I called DVO and they confirmed that the tune is very slightly different and the larger stanchions allow it to be more supple. I would take an onyx over a diamond any day.

That being said, my new diamond is defective and while it's off with DVO, I have switched to a Mezzer and likely won't switch back. It's much much more supple, more tuneable, stiffer, and not to mention 200 grams lighter.

When I spoke with DVO about the diamond it sounded like they were having more issues with the diamond than with the onyx and since the ripmo AF is so popular I think they wanted to change it to the onyx just to avoid future issues.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
Keegansamonster wrote:
I've owned both the onyx and the diamond at the same time. I never put them on a scale but there was no difference in the weight feeling by hand. I'm pretty perceptive to weight change but still couldn't feel much of anything. The Onyx felt like a different fork though. It was much more stiff and more supple off the top. I thought I was crazy but I called DVO and they confirmed that the tune is very slightly different and the larger stanchions allow it to be more supple. I would take an onyx over a diamond any day.

That being said, my new diamond is defective and while it's off with DVO, I have switched to a Mezzer and likely won't switch back. It's much much more supple, more tuneable, stiffer, and not to mention 200 grams lighter.

When I spoke with DVO about the diamond it sounded like they were having more issues with the diamond than with the onyx and since the ripmo AF is so popular I think they wanted to change it to the onyx just to avoid future issues.

Damn! I wish mine came with the Onyx Cry

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
This might be my first message here. Stoked to read all the good stuff about the RAF. I got a frame on order and wanted to go with the super deluxe coil at the back. Does anyone know the hardware that has to go with the RockShox?

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Keegansamonster wrote:
I've owned both the onyx and the diamond at the same time. I never put them on a scale but there was no difference in the weight feeling by hand. I'm pretty perceptive to weight change but still couldn't feel much of anything. The Onyx felt like a different fork though. It was much more stiff and more supple off the top. I thought I was crazy but I called DVO and they confirmed that the tune is very slightly different and the larger stanchions allow it to be more supple. I would take an onyx over a diamond any day.

That being said, my new diamond is defective and while it's off with DVO, I have switched to a Mezzer and likely won't switch back. It's much much more supple, more tuneable, stiffer, and not to mention 200 grams lighter.

When I spoke with DVO about the diamond it sounded like they were having more issues with the diamond than with the onyx and since the ripmo AF is so popular I think they wanted to change it to the onyx just to avoid future issues.

Damn! I wish mine came with the Onyx Cry

It's definitely the better fork of the two

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
So I figured I'd write a review after about 4 months of riding. In the past three years I have ridden a 2018 Rocky mountain instinct, 2018 Kona process 153 cr, chromag wide-angle, and a 2017 transition scout. So I've had my fair share of bikes.

The AF is a great bike. Out of all the ones I have owned in the last three years, the AF is the heaviest by about a pound and a half. However, it's by far the best pedalling and climbing bike of the bunch (not including the chromag hardtail). It's weight is not felt on the trail by any means. The descending is amazing too. I've set many many many Strava PR's on this thing and it's been the fastest bike I've owned. It's also extremely playful. It begs to be jumped and popped off little side hits or roots along the trail. It can also hold a good line through chunky stuff and doesn't have too much perceived flex in the rear end like the instinct did. So far I really do like this bike. My only issue with it is how active DW link suspension is. To me, over repeated chunky hits, the rear end can feel a bit harsh just because of how active it is. My process 153 was like a lazyboy recliner down the trail, you felt nothing on the rear end, but it didn't climb nearly as well. This isn't a bad thing perse but just personal preference. It's definitely a lively bike.

I've changed almost every component since buying it, which is just because I like playing with stuff.

If I had to put this bike in a category it would be like a Enduro sided trail bike. The process would be an trail sided Enduro bike. The AF handles normal trail riding fantastically and is obviously an Enduro style rig that can handle days at big bike parks.

If I could change one thing on the bike it would be for the rear suspension to just be a tad more supple on the trail. Other than that it's been amazing.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
Good transition. Just did the first enduro of the year at a bike park and all the stages were knarley rocks. 139 total entrants and easily 15+ ripmo AFs. I did terrible but the bike saved me A LOT.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 23:27 Quote
[Quote="4ll-the-jazz"]This might be my first message here. Stoked to read all the good stuff about the RAF. I got a frame on order and wanted to go with the super deluxe coil at the back. Does anyone know the hardware that has to go with the RockShox?[/Quote(

Hardware sizes are on the Ripmo USA site

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 3:25 Quote
estinehart wrote:
I ordered my AF Friday night. The delivery date was 11/06. Lame. I got an e-mail the next day with a ship date of 09/28. That’s promising.

Where did you order from? I ordered from Competitive Cyclist in late May and I still haven't received an official ship date.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
Npboeuf wrote:
estinehart wrote:
I ordered my AF Friday night. The delivery date was 11/06. Lame. I got an e-mail the next day with a ship date of 09/28. That’s promising.

Where did you order from? I ordered from Competitive Cyclist in late May and I still haven't received an official ship date.

I ordered from JensonUSA. It may be a canned email but one can hope.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
Ibisb2b site now shows a very customizable shock and fork combo. DVO/fox stuff. Very interesting!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005797
Mobile Version of Website