Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
The customer site has that as well!

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
The customer site has that as well!

Looks like the Onyx/topaz is now standard on the Ripmo v2 also. Killer deal as the price is the same. This is rad!

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
Wow, carbon V2 with a DVO Onyx and Jade X with Deore components isn't much more than my SLX build AF with a coil cost. I for sure would have went the carbon V2 route Madder

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Wow, carbon V2 with a DVO Onyx and Jade X with Deore components isn't much more than my SLX build AF with a coil cost. I for sure would have went the carbon V2 route Madder
. All unhappiness comes from comparison. But yeah I was thinking the same thing

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:

Yeah that's a straight up solid spec at the pricepoint. I'd considering selling the alu frame for carbon at some point. Not terribly practical but we'll see....

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
4ll-the-jazz wrote:
This might be my first message here. Stoked to read all the good stuff about the RAF. I got a frame on order and wanted to go with the super deluxe coil at the back. Does anyone know the hardware that has to go with the RockShox?

Hardware sizes are on the Ripmo USA site

Found it in the owners manual. tup https://assets-ibiscycles-com.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Ibis_Owners_Guide_2020_Rev_J_0520_WEB.pdf

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
I just received my 2021 Ripmo AF Deore with Jade X coil shock in size L. It came with an Onyx SC fork, KS dropper post, and aluminum bars, which matches the spec listed on the Ibis website. I did receive a 30t chainring and 500 lb spring instead of the 450 lb spring weight that Ibis lists as standard for the size L. I am waiting to hear from Ibis on whether this is a new spec change going forward or fitted in error.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Ahh damn now b2b site is showing XL sizes shippable by 11/15. Has anyone recently ordered a bike and received an estimated date?

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 5:50 Quote
If the Carbon version with DVO and Deore is coming to the UK for circa 4.5k, I'm changing my AF order...

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 6:32 Quote
Finished my XL Ripmo AF build finally! Ordered an NX build in the beginning of march and I guess they had ran out of xl's by then. Talked to Ibis after finding out they had no NX and no dvo diamond forks left, haggled and got the frame, ripmo v2 suspension and wheels shipped to my shop around mid july, and had to kit out the rest of the bike with my own parts. So ended up with a sweet custom bike. I'm not complaining but my wallet is!

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo
fox 36, dpx2, spank bars and stem, ergon seat and grips, hellbender headset, one up dropper w/ loam lever, slx 4pot brakes, new gx cranks and 52t cassette, slx derailleur, xt shifter, Assegai/dhr2 combo. shimano/sram franken bike.

One main thing that sucks right now is one of the cable ports(one that has tape on it) the nut in the frame is spinning so the bolt is stuck in there(I didn't over-tighten it). gonna try to fix it eventually.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
So spinning rivnut fix longer bolt and nut. Hold bolt head and use nut to try to compress insert. Or blob of expoxy. The cable ports dont need to be bolted down tight .

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
I just wanted to report back that the XL RAF NX Metal I ordered back in April finally showed up at the LBS yesterday...equipped with Deore and Onyx. Over the last 15 weeks of waiting and hearing all the varied reports of forks, drivetrains, bars etc etc being spec'd, I have been wondering what Ibis would send me. I've also questioned the Onyx being a positive since it's a little heavier. But after an early morning trail shakedown, it does appear to be an excellent fork and feels very good on an initial basic setup. I have no way of testing it against a Diamond, but I doubt I would notice a weight difference...and I'm sure I also would've been happy with a Diamond. I was bumming a little when Ibis started spec'ing Deore (bumming as I thought I might prefer it to the NX I had on order) so I'm happy to have the chance to check it out. I'm also more familiar with servicing Shimano brakes and have the tools/fluid on hand so that's a plus. So far, the Deore is ok...a little clunky and not as crisp/smooth as I'd like when shifting under power, but I'm certain it just needs an adjustment. Too, I'm not used to the Shimano 12 speed gearing, coming from 1x11 NX with a GX derailleur. Total weight with a stock Assegai up front, DD Aggressor rear, Stamp 1's, 3M mastic on key points, and a Wolf Tooth bar end toolkit is just a hair over 36 lbs using a digital bath scale. I definitely rode faster up and down than my 30lb Big Honzo, took some chunky lines/drops I usually avoid, and feel MUCH less fatigued after my typical 1.5-2 hr morning ride route. I'm going to make a few adjustments to the derailleur/shifter and check pressures all around...might firm up the Topaz just a hair. I have another ride on the same trail scheduled with a friend this afternoon, so it'll be fun to have a same day check with a few tweaks and a little recovery time. I'm very stoked with this bike and am happy I waited it out. I had WAY too much time to second guess and considered jumping ship several times. But there really isn't anything else that checked all the boxes for me at this price. I would've had to stretch a solid $1000 or more to go with a different bike with a similar spec and that might not include warranty/shop support. Again, folks with RAFs on order, be patient AF and it'll be worth the wait. I highly recommend making tuning/setup notes as you read through this and the RAF thread on MTBR...there's a wealth of real-world info but can be hard to find specifics from weeks/months ago. I'll probably re-read and make another round of notes this weekend Geek

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 8:36 Quote
SirHills wrote:
... I was bumming a little when Ibis started spec'ing Deore (bumming as I thought I might prefer it to the NX I had on order) so I'm happy to have the chance to check it out. I'm also more familiar with servicing Shimano brakes and have the tools/fluid on hand so that's a plus. So far, the Deore is ok...a little clunky and not as crisp/smooth as I'd like when shifting under power, but I'm certain it just needs an adjustment. Too, I'm not used to the Shimano 12 speed gearing, coming from 1x11 NX with a GX derailleur...

Deore spec is a blessing compared to the stock NX build, in my opinion. NX derailleur is made of cheese, and the stock Guide-T brakes are so under-gunned for a 4-piston, it's laughable. Get that shifing dialed in, and you'll have the advantage of the new hyperglide system.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
mammal wrote:
Deore spec is a blessing compared to the stock NX build, in my opinion. NX derailleur is made of cheese, and the stock Guide-T brakes are so under-gunned for a 4-piston, it's laughable. Get that shifing dialed in, and you'll have the advantage of the new hyperglide system.

Yeah man, I'm liking the Deore...much prefer the shifters vs NX and the derailleur is solid. The brakes are great but they're the first four piston brakes I've owned so nothing to compare to other than the two piston Shimanos I've been riding, which have been good. The clunky shifting was only through the 2-3 cogs before the 51t so I'm certain once I get it better dialed it'll be solid. I've gleaned MUCH solid info from your posts throughout this thread - thanks for sharing and thanks for the vote of confidence in the Deore setup - really thrilled with this bike and build-kit they sent!

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
SirHills wrote:
mammal wrote:

Yeah man, I'm liking the Deore...much prefer the shifters vs NX and the derailleur is solid. The brakes are great but they're the first four piston brakes I've owned so nothing to compare to other than the two piston Shimanos I've been riding, which have been good. The clunky shifting was only through the 2-3 cogs before the 51t so I'm certain once I get it better dialed it'll be solid. I've gleaned MUCH solid info from your posts throughout this thread - thanks for sharing and thanks for the vote of confidence in the Deore setup - really thrilled with this bike and build-kit they sent!

Make sure your clutch is on. Many folks coming from Sram to Shimano don’t understand there is a functional clutch.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016671
Mobile Version of Website