Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Aug 9, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
4ll-the-jazz wrote:
NERyder wrote:
Bent my SLX brake lever blade on the trails today. Having a hard time finding the part number to make sure I order the correct replacement. Anyone know what the part number is?

you might be looking for this tup
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BL-M7100-4595.pdf

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 3:57 Quote
[Quote="4ll-the-jazz"]
JohnyBoy wrote:
4ll-the-jazz wrote:

Two lines running on rhs, moto brake. Dpirawrap to keep cables neat. Thanks man, also gloss invisiframe makes silver pop

I'm dreading the day when I have to put the invisiframe on Facepalm
Is there any BB plastic protector for AF available??

Hy - try: https://thetrail.pl/produkt/ibis-ripmo-af-29-2020-size-m/

fits perfect and easy to handle, located in Poland, but you can write an email in english .

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
[Quote="MopsX"]
4ll-the-jazz wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:

I'm dreading the day when I have to put the invisiframe on Facepalm
Is there any BB plastic protector for AF available??

Hy - try: https://thetrail.pl/produkt/ibis-ripmo-af-29-2020-size-m/

fits perfect and easy to handle, located in Poland, but you can write an email in english .

AWESOME! Polska gola! tup tup tup

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
FWIW, I rode NorthStar on my RAF last weekend and was around 6 clicks of rebound (from closed) on the Diamond and it was pretty rough on the braking bumps. Opened it up to 14 clicks and its quite a bit comfier. What rebound settings have been working for you? I'm around 180 kitted up

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
FWIW, I rode NorthStar on my RAF last weekend and was around 6 clicks of rebound (from closed) on the Diamond and it was pretty rough on the braking bumps. Opened it up to 14 clicks and its quite a bit comfier. What rebound settings have been working for you? I'm around 180 kitted up

My RAF is right beside me at the office, so very convenient to check. I'm also around 180 kitted. It also really depends on how much pressure you run in the fork (I'm at 120psi). I've been running 14-15 clicks from closed (currently at 15), depending on the terrain. a bit slower for real steep stuff or big compressions, and a bit faster for quicker chattery stuff. 6 clicks from closed sounds REALLY slow, and I've never even come close to that end of the range.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
mammal wrote:
My RAF is right beside me at the office, so very convenient to check. I'm also around 180 kitted. It also really depends on how much pressure you run in the fork (I'm at 120psi). I've been running 14-15 clicks from closed (currently at 15), depending on the terrain. a bit slower for real steep stuff or big compressions, and a bit faster for quicker chattery stuff. 6 clicks from closed sounds REALLY slow, and I've never even come close to that end of the range.

Good to know! Can't wait to really test it out in Downieville this weekend

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
Just got the update that my RAF shipped from JensonUSA. I cannot wait to hit the trail. I rode with my cousin yesterday. He got his Alchemy Arktos 29 delivered. That is a very sweet bike. He completely destroyed our local trails on that thing. It was utterly amazing how much faster he was than on his hard tail. I can't wait to experience the same thing.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
estinehart wrote:
Just got the update that my RAF shipped from JensonUSA. I cannot wait to hit the trail. I rode with my cousin yesterday. He got his Alchemy Arktos 29 delivered. That is a very sweet bike. He completely destroyed our local trails on that thing. It was utterly amazing how much faster he was than on his hard tail. I can't wait to experience the same thing.

When did you order? I keep hoping to get a notification that mines shipped, this wait is killing me.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 12:24 Quote
My raw AF is currently mid build at the dealer (UK) picking it up tomorrow, super stoked!
Have been told it's a Deore build, which is perfect, hoping that means it's an Onyx as well.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
Npboeuf wrote:
estinehart wrote:

When did you order? I keep hoping to get a notification that mines shipped, this wait is killing me.

I ordered July 31.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
[
estinehart wrote:
I ordered July 31.

Dang... I ordered June 4th from Competitive Cyclist and still haven't received any updates

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
Npboeuf wrote:
[
estinehart wrote:
I ordered July 31.

Dang... I ordered June 4th from Competitive Cyclist and still haven't received any updates

I ordered from my LBS around the same time (early June). Was told Sep 15. Hopefully it’s not any longer than that.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
krehzeekid wrote:
Alright, so I've had my Ripmo AF since May, and figured it's time to put together a little review for reference.

Specs: Ripmo AF Large, with Fox 36 Performance*, DVO Jade X (600lb spring), NX build kit, XTR pedals, 220mm front rotor, 200 back

Weight: 15.5kgs or 72.09 Big Mac's for our American friends.

Substitutions: As is well documented, Ibis has had supply chain issues with the bikes. Consequently, mine has had some subs and swaps. Firstly, the fork is a Fox 36 Performance, with a tune by Push to help with my weight (112kgs). It also arrived with a Race Face Aeffect bar and stem combo, and I spec'd a BikeYoke Revive 185mm dropper. Otherwise, it was ridden stock for the first little while. Since, I have put bigger brake rotors and better pads on to get a little more fad resistance out of the stock brakes.

No point in covering the dimensions or geo of the bike, as this is all readily available. I ultimately chose the NX build kit because I wanted the frame and suspension performance, and I don't really care about having the best shifting performance. Plus, I have a history of breaking parts, so having a cheaper stock build doesn't hurt!

Climbing: This is a pleasant surprise. On smooth climbs, the DW link suspension does a really decent job of filtering out unwanted motion, and making the bike feel efficient. I do reach for the compression lever on the shock on longer climbs, as it does really help make the bike feel even better. There is no way you're going to hide over 15kg's on the climbs, particularly with the big Maxxis tires, but it's better than it should be. A good seated position and great suspension design means that you are in the best position to do battle with the weight. It's not exactly speedy, but it doesn't wear you out unnecessarily.

Going up steeper and more technical pitches, the Ripmo AF is downright impressive. The DW link and big tires provide immense traction. I've actually found myself clearing sections that are iffy on lighter bikes. The suspension does a remarkable job of giving you lots of supple grip without wallowing deep in the travel. However, it's still a heavy bike with big tires, so you're going to feel it.

Rolling Terrain: Rolling terrain is where I believe the Ripmo AF makes a very strong case for itself: it's more fun than a full blown enduro race bike (think Megatower or Capra) is on undulating terrain or rides with lots of climbing. No, it's not a lightweight trailbike, but it does a very nice job of having a lively and energetic character on easier terrain. The Ripmo helps to keep more mellow rides fun by offering enough snap and response to feel quick and precise, and a great pedaling platform. Note: the middle position on the Jade X doesn't work for me- it's too heavily damped, so I leave the shock open.

Descending: I've been able to get the Ripmo AF out for a number of shuttle days, as well as 15 or so park days at Silverstar, Kicking Horse, Fernie and Sun Peaks. Compared to the biggest enduro sleds I've tried, the Ripmo is definitely a little more restrained feeling- it just doesn't have as much margin for error. It still lets you go plenty fast, but it feels just a little more nervous and gives you the sense that you're approaching the limits. Most of the time, this isn't a huge issue, but if you're a dedicated park rat or use an enduro bike as a DH bike, you may need to look elsewhere.

Dialing things back a smidge reveals a bike with great balance and a fairly lively character. The Ripmo likes to be actively piloted rather than simply plowing through chunk. If you're somewhat careful about line choice and body position, the Ripmo rewards you with the ability to tackle some genuinely gnarly terrain at serious speed. It's also wonderfully maneuverable at lower speeds, probably helped by the somewhat conservative geo.

Flow trails are a little bit of a mixed bag, but this may be operator error too. It handles big jumps really well, provided they aren't super kicky. Smaller jumps and really steep lips seem to not play well with the longer wheelbase, and result in a little rear end kick. This isn't the only bike I've felt this on, with most of the longer enduro bikes I've ridden having some degree of this.

Also, I did upgrade the pads and rotors on my stock Guide T's. They were just not quite up to the task of this bike. Bigger rotors and metallic pads have me reasonably happy- they're definitely adequate and most lighter riders should be okay. As for this fatty, I'll be getting something beefier over the winter!

Conclusion: This bike rips! The Ripmo manages to be a bit of a Goldilocks bike for aggressive riders: it's burly enough to handle the gnar, efficient enough to hang on a trail ride and just rules in between. The beefy frame and well considered build conspire to give you a burly beast of an all mountain rig that is fundamentally good at being a modern mountain bike.

Pros:
-Great Suspension Design
-Burly Build/Construction
-Great Tires
-Value

Cons:
-Heavy as Sin
-Not quite an "enduro" bike
-Stock brakes are just a little under gunned

Amazing review, this checks out with my experience on Ontario trails including Horseshoe Valley bike park (only open one currently)

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 4:19 Quote
Woop! Picked mine up! Ordered start of June.
The shop were great - had a message about a week ago that one had come in, '20 spec with NX. Happy as it was what I'd ordered, but a bit disappointed it wasn't the '21 spec. Rang a couple of days later and they said they're been a mix up and mine hadn't asked but was on its way, but I could have that one. Cut a long story short they were dead accommodating, and I've now got a full 21 spec with Onyx, Deore, alloy bar etc.

Now need to sort out the upgrades! I've got most of the drivetrain, but need to decide on shifter and cranks. Any big advantage on XTR over XT for the shifter?

And cranks -I'm going Shimano for the best experience. XTR a lot lighter, but so expensive. I'm thinking XT crank and ring best bang for buck?
And would 165 be a step too far?

Posted: Aug 17, 2020 at 2:08 Quote
SubMarined wrote:
Woop! Picked mine up! Ordered start of June.
The shop were great - had a message about a week ago that one had come in, '20 spec with NX. Happy as it was what I'd ordered, but a bit disappointed it wasn't the '21 spec. Rang a couple of days later and they said they're been a mix up and mine hadn't asked but was on its way, but I could have that one. Cut a long story short they were dead accommodating, and I've now got a full 21 spec with Onyx, Deore, alloy bar etc.

Now need to sort out the upgrades! I've got most of the drivetrain, but need to decide on shifter and cranks. Any big advantage on XTR over XT for the shifter?

And cranks -I'm going Shimano for the best experience. XTR a lot lighter, but so expensive. I'm thinking XT crank and ring best bang for buck?
And would 165 be a step too far?

I’ve got XT cranks and shifter. Don’t think there is any performance difference between XT and XTR shifters just a bit lighter (not certain on that though)
I’d have love to have gone with XTR cranks but couldn’t justify the extra dough even more so when I found brand new crank, chainring and BB on STW for £130. Message batman11 on there as I think he mentioned he had another set when I picked them up from him.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006497
Mobile Version of Website