Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Its standard practice to take the lowers off now it seems. Likely the air spring side doesn't have oil and it would probably be good to soak the felts in sticky oil too so the stanchions stay lubed up for longer.

Ah man, that’s a bummer. Rumor had it that the bath oil issue was specific to the Diamonds and that it’d been solved with the Onyxs, but maybe that’s not the case...
It's hit or miss. Some people with diamonds had enough oil, some did not. Mine had about half of what's specified, and it felt fine. But it felt way better after redoing it with fox gold and spec volumes.

If they were all assembled in the same factory (probably suntour) chances are the same issues can occur.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
Ah man, that’s a bummer. Rumor had it that the bath oil issue was specific to the Diamonds and that it’d been solved with the Onyxs, but maybe that’s not the case...

Regardless of what fork, initial sticktion you're feeling suggests the felts are not lubed well enough and there is potentially no or very little oil in the lowers. Always worth it to check

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
Doing a lowers service is really not a huge deal. There are good online tutorials on it - more so for fox and rockshox, but DVO has their own pdf and videos on it. And as mentioned earlier in this thread, don't worry about messing with the air cartridge, there's no need to remove it when all you're doing is checking/adding oil. All you need are some allen wrenches, a couple socket wrenches, a rubber mallet (or hammer with a towel), needle nose pliers, fork oil, slick honey or slickoleum grease, and some isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle with shop towels. It's also easier if you have a bike repair stand, but not totally necessary. It's one of those once or twice a year (or once a quarter if you're riding a ton) maintenance to-do's, and replacing seals, oil and regreasing will do wonders for keeping your fork in good shape. It'll only take half an hour or so, and once you do it, it gets easier. Fork servicing is similar to bleeding brakes - they're important maintenance duties (and not terribly complicated or too difficult or expensive to do) that will keep your bike in good shape and you riding it, rather than it sitting in a shop for a few weeks.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
the only thing to be careful of doing a diamond lowers service is to make sure the rebound knob stays moving freely. When you are tightening that footnut it can turn the the internals and reach the end of the adjustability and jam up. I like to rotate it full right before loosening and then full left before tightening. when tightening i keep checking that it is able to rotate freely.

Besides that it is a 20 minute job. The longest part is cleaning the felts unless you buy an extra set and can have a second set cleaned, soaked, and ready to go.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
Thanks so much for all of the feedback re: stiction and dropping the lowers. That’s all super helpful.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
the only thing to be careful of doing a diamond lowers service is to make sure the rebound knob stays moving freely. When you are tightening that footnut it can turn the the internals and reach the end of the adjustability and jam up. I like to rotate it full right before loosening and then full left before tightening. when tightening i keep checking that it is able to rotate freely.

Besides that it is a 20 minute job. The longest part is cleaning the felts unless you buy an extra set and can have a second set cleaned, soaked, and ready to go.

+1 This is not in the official DVO instructions, but can cause all sorts of issues...

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
I have all the stuff to do the service in route. Hope I don’t screw it up. It’s been 100 hours so replacing the seals at the same time

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
Anyone seen or tried a 27.5 on Ripmo af rear? Is it possible?

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
goride365 wrote:
Anyone seen or tried a 27.5 on Ripmo af rear? Is it possible?
With the low BB height I don’t think it could work

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
Anyone else notice a significant amount of wiggle/play on the KS dropper lever that comes with the deore onyx build? Moves up and down loosely. Mine has so much play that I can push it up and touch the left grip. It looks like it’s fastened with a pin that doesn’t have a means of tightening.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
Anyone else notice a significant amount of wiggle/play on the KS dropper lever that comes with the deore onyx build? Moves up and down loosely. Mine has so much play that I can push it up and touch the left grip. It looks like it’s fastened with a pin that doesn’t have a means of tightening.

Mine was the opposite, so much drag I needed to do thumb curls to operate it and it was impossible to activate while seated with any weight on it. Was going to buy a oneup to replace the post but just got a wolftooth long leverage and it works great

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 16:41 Quote
On another note, just saw that DVO updated its user manual. Could be mistaken, but looks like they’re calling for a lot more OTT than in the old manual.

http://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/DVO-Set-Up-Guide-2020-v4.pdf

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 22:46 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
On another note, just saw that DVO updated its user manual. Could be mistaken, but looks like they’re calling for a lot more OTT than in the old manual.

http://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/DVO-Set-Up-Guide-2020-v4.pdf

They have indeed, yet still call it v4?!

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
Good call!

Superfli wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

They have indeed, yet still call it v4?!

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 7:08 Quote
Do you think they’ve just re-assessed appropriate OTT levels or do newer shocks come with a different spring that has different characteristics?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011965
Mobile Version of Website