Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 17:05 Quote
Gilbo182 wrote:
I went with the NV170. I've only gotten one ride on it. Some mellow xc trails. I definately notice the length on tighter trails, but It is a beast on long straights.

I need to change the spring, It feels a little over spring. I might go with a single rate instead.

The cable ties are just zip ties.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WCX1RDQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
On a single pivot bike, stick with a progressive spring. DVO and Cane Creek's springs have the same inner diameter and are interchangeable. Different progressive spring rates from each company gives you various options to decide from

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 5:59 Quote
I went with a springdex i picked up on PinkBike.

Not sure if I'm sold on the jade x. The lsc switch is extreme between open and mid, I end up leaving it open. I feel like the mid and end stroke support is lacking and the initial still being a little firm. Coming off a jade from my previous bike i really liked the adjustments of lsc and hsc. Too bad it doesn't fit the NV170.

The onyx I'm still dialing in. Once again, coming from a diamond on my SS that thing is perfect. The onyx feels very firm on the initial stroke. I've played with various air pressure and ott settings. The lsc and hsc are fully open and i still feel like they are too firm. Ill probably drop the lowers soon to check the wipers and oil volume. I may end up going with a smashpot. Coming from an older 66 rc2x, i want that feeling on the onyx.

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 20:51 Quote
jgottya1 wrote:
LesZedCB wrote:
how often are you all on air shocks bottoming out? are you running max spacers?
Not on air even though i ordered the frame with the T3 but sold it and put a DVO jade on it and currently settled on a linear spring. With the independant high and low compression adjustments It works absolutlety incredible. No harsh bottoms out on sizable drops to flat (4-7 feet) and the rear suspension feel is incredible with this shock(incredible like DH plush without sagging 50% of the stroke). I started with a progressive spring and ditched that shortly after. Mid stroke support on the jade is fantastic.
Any good shock with indy hi/lo should make it work well, depends on if you want more progressiveness from air spring.

Not sure if your springdex is a progressive or single rate spring, but this fella, earlier in the thread, ended up using a linear spring after trying progressive with his Jade X. I wanna say that he was in a similar weight category as you, but don't recall. A well tuned single pivot with a linear ratio should have good mid stroke support.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 16:15 Quote
Just out of curiosity, what are the weights of the builds being posted here recently? Has anyone weighed their frame pre build up? I'm hearing that the tubesets on Ferrums varies, wondering how much different the frame weights are.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
tinpants wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what are the weights of the builds being posted here recently? Has anyone weighed their frame pre build up? I'm hearing that the tubesets on Ferrums varies, wondering how much different the frame weights are.

My 145 frame with Jade and an Onyx fork weighs 16.4 pounds. Didn't weight the bare frame. If you're very concerned about weight these are not for you.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
scumcity14 wrote:
tinpants wrote:

My 145 frame with Jade and an Onyx fork weighs 16.4 pounds. Didn't weight the bare frame. If you're very concerned about weight these are not for you.

Thanks! No not too concerned. I've owned plenty of stout steel bikes and prefer it to be strong rather than light. Just curious where in the ballpark people are landing. Did you weigh fully built? Also how do you like the 145's ride?

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
tinpants wrote:
scumcity14 wrote:
tinpants wrote:

Thanks! No not too concerned. I've owned plenty of stout steel bikes and prefer it to be strong rather than light. Just curious where in the ballpark people are landing. Did you weigh fully built? Also how do you like the 145's ride?

I'm actually in the process of building this one. Waiting on cranks and I'll finish it this weekend. I'll post up pics and weight when done, but I'm anticipating 35# ballpark.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
scumcity14 wrote:
tinpants wrote:
scumcity14 wrote:

I'm actually in the process of building this one. Waiting on cranks and I'll finish it this weekend. I'll post up pics and weight when done, but I'm anticipating 35# ballpark.

Good stuff! Stoked to see it. I am waiting for a 170 to be shipped this week. I deliberated a lot between that and the 145, so I'm curious to read some feedback on the medium travel bike. Enjoy the build process!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
These have all been great to see, thanks for sharing! Wondering if anyone has any insight on their NV-HT? How is it compared to other frames?

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
tinpants wrote:
Good stuff! Stoked to see it. I am waiting for a 170 to be shipped this week.

You must be right ahead of me in the queue. My 145 is slated to go out early next week.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:27 Quote
tinpants wrote:

Mine is 31.5lbs all said and done!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 21:00 Quote
tinpants wrote:
scumcity14 wrote:
tinpants wrote:

Good stuff! Stoked to see it. I am waiting for a 170 to be shipped this week. I deliberated a lot between that and the 145, so I'm curious to read some feedback on the medium travel bike. Enjoy the build process!

My LV145 all built up is 31.47 lbs. my build and specs are on page 12 I believe. I’ll be posting a built picture soon.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
how was your seat tube? Mine needed serious honing out. Very rough inside.
NY2CO wrote:
tinpants wrote:
scumcity14 wrote:

My LV145 all built up is 31.47 lbs. my build and specs are on page 12 I believe. I’ll be posting a built picture soon.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 4:15 Quote
Anybody mullet their rig? The Ferrum pitches adjustable dropouts to accommodate wheel sizes but without a geo adjust flip chip, how’re you accounting for the jacked front end - dropping fork travel or just going with the geo as-is? Thanks.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 14:07 Quote
My LV170 is setup with a 180mm 29 front and 27.5 rear, rips in this configuration.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007351
Mobile Version of Website