Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
Oo hey man, this is Corey Samot, owner and roaster at Singletrack Coffee Roasters. We’re friends on Instagram @singletrackcoffeeroasters
Didn’t know you had a Ferrum too 100%

HonzoBro wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-OmTlOcko&t=5s

Here’s me riding my LV170 on a little trail preview I did for the new trail I cut.

Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 14:05 Quote
Hello there,
I have an LV 145 in size 2. I am wondering if there's anyone here interested in swapping their size 1 for my size 2.
PM me if you happen to be interested in this. I posted a picture of the bike some time ago on page 11 of this post, for reference. BTW that build with an SLX drivetrain weighs exactly 35.0 lbs.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
All week I've been telling myself that I needed to get out today and do some endurance work on the road bike. Yeah, that didn't happen Smile Ferrum bikes are more addictive than their hometown blackjack tables!

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 22:26 Quote
@matarratas and I were out riding and noticed a loose connection in the rear triangle to shock eyelet point. even when the screw is tight, there's a tiny bit of play on both our bikes. both 2021, a 170 and 145.

anybody else have this issue?

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 5:42 Quote
LesZedCB wrote:
@matarratas and I were out riding and noticed a loose connection in the rear triangle to shock eyelet point. even when the screw is tight, there's a tiny bit of play on both our bikes. both 2021, a 170 and 145.

I have the same annoying play. I have tightened, re-tightened, changed shock bushings, etc.... still can't get rid of it.

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
I had a similar issue. The tolerances of the shock hardware are often not perfect. I tried multiple sets. The shock hardware center pin/axle is often longer than the outer spacers and shock combined leaving some play even when the bolts are fully tight. I picked up some shims/washers of varying thickness from the hardware store. Rear end is rock solid.

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
Gilbo182 wrote:
LesZedCB wrote:

I have the same annoying play. I have tightened, re-tightened, changed shock bushings, etc.... still can't get rid of it.

This might be a DVO issue. My Jade on a different bike has an undersized screw for the front bushing. Maybe try a thin piece of plastic or a slice of sticker on the screw?

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 17:26 Quote
I don't think it is a DVO issue. I think the issue is the use of an all thread M8 screw (im assuming its an M8 screw).
Screw OD measures around 7.73mm
Center Sleeve ID measures around 7.99mm
See what's happening there?

I am looking for an appropriately sized shock mounting bolt (should look like this one https://www.bikesonline.com/~24041?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulnNyVgV0nzY6NKCeNq6_-Ejl4cnlI8ExnUA8j-uRetTFRlnqvQ63LwaArnOEALw_wcB)

Just went to Tacoma screw looking for a Binding Barrel and Screw (or a sex bolt, or a chicago screw... whatever you want to call it). They didnt have it... at all, but they'll give me a call soon if they find it. If I find an easy solution there I'll share. In the meantime if anyone finds appropriate mounting bolts from another frame maker, please share. I believe this will make a much better interface btw hardware and shock, as currently we are totally messing up the ID on the center sleeve during shock op (pic bellow shows this).

For reference, the distance between shock tabs (outer faces) are 46-ish mm for the rear eyelet, and 32-ish for the front eyelet. This should match the length of the "barrel".

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 20:36 Quote
Ah… my problem was the mounting kit spacers left side to side play. Hit up Ferrum for a new bolt. I ordered a spare and they sent me one that wasn’t all thread.

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 21:25 Quote
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted: Mar 19, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.

Posted: Mar 19, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
Been on my 170 now for a few years and have no plans on switching to anything else anytime soon. The bike absolutely rips and has taken a ton of abuse without complaining

Posted: Mar 20, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues since the get go, poor pivot bolt/bearing tolerances with no solutions. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.
I have a 170 and love it. 180 Onyx, 27.5 wheels. I ride the sack off it on moderate tech trails to free ride lines. It is a blast. The long and slack thing took me a bit to get used to as all of my other bikes are a tad less modern geometry hype wise. But once you get the comfort level of weighting the front more, it absolutely rails. I would not give this up nor swap it out for less travel. Just plain fun to ride machine that is durable and simple to deal with over the long haul. Matt is great to work with as well! And it is great to see the Ferrum family growing here, some great looking new builds.

Posted: Mar 20, 2022 at 20:37 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/22252358/

Hey everyone, thought I would share my new build. 145/150.

Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 5:34 Quote
jeffbiederman wrote:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/22252358/

Hey everyone, thought I would share my new build. 145/150.
That is a great looking build. Enjoy the ride!

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013709
Mobile Version of Website