Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 11:00 Quote
jgottya1 wrote:
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues since the get go, poor pivot bolt/bearing tolerances with no solutions. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.
I have a 170 and love it. 180 Onyx, 27.5 wheels. I ride the sack off it on moderate tech trails to free ride lines. It is a blast. The long and slack thing took me a bit to get used to as all of my other bikes are a tad less modern geometry hype wise. But once you get the comfort level of weighting the front more, it absolutely rails. I would not give this up nor swap it out for less travel. Just plain fun to ride machine that is durable and simple to deal with over the long haul. Matt is great to work with as well! And it is great to see the Ferrum family growing here, some great looking new builds.
Modern LT bikes are incredible no doubt, more travel the better in most cases. Is your Onyx a 27.5 or 29?

Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 12:13 Quote
jeffbiederman wrote:
Hey everyone, thought I would share my new build. 145/150.
Nice. Do you get to try it soon, or do you live someplace with pesky "seasons"?

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 5:28 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues since the get go, poor pivot bolt/bearing tolerances with no solutions. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.

Been on my 170 for a few months (170 onyx and 29r). Im glad I didnt go with the 145, especially paired with the jade x. The platform on that shock really changes what this bike can be used for. Im perfectly balanced on the bike, which feels amazing. It is long, so tight trails took a little getting used to. Park season is right around the corner and this thing will be a blast!

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 10:12 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
jgottya1 wrote:
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
I have a 170 and love it. 180 Onyx, 27.5 wheels. I ride the sack off it on moderate tech trails to free ride lines. It is a blast. The long and slack thing took me a bit to get used to as all of my other bikes are a tad less modern geometry hype wise. But once you get the comfort level of weighting the front more, it absolutely rails. I would not give this up nor swap it out for less travel. Just plain fun to ride machine that is durable and simple to deal with over the long haul. Matt is great to work with as well! And it is great to see the Ferrum family growing here, some great looking new builds.
Modern LT bikes are incredible no doubt, more travel the better in most cases. Is your Onyx a 27.5 or 29?
It’s a 27.5

Posted: Apr 2, 2022 at 21:40 Quote
I recently put together my NV170 and I figured I would share my thoughts about this bike. I started looking into my options for a steel frame full-suspension bike and my search only showed manufacturers in the UK primarily and prices were equivalent to a carbon bike but I was lucky to come across Ferrum in my search and they just so happen to be locally built in Las Vegas. Naturally, I wanted to support a local builder since I am a native of the city, plus the price was excellent compared to the latter options. It was a no-brainer so I reached out to Matt and he was quick to respond with suggestions on sizing and setup. After a few weeks, he hand-delivered the bike to my house and I got to talk bike with him. He is down to earth and I have no regrets supporting Ferrum.

That being said, I come from riding steel frame hardtails on single track trails and have done occasional bike parks in them too. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a full-suspension bike and wanted something that wasn't carbon. Ultimately weight is the first question that comes to mind with steel frame bikes so here is my build:

Ferrum NV170
DVO Onyx SC D1 Boost | 170mm | 27.5"
PNW 170mm Dropper Post
PNW Loam Dropper Lever Grey 22.2
DVO JadeX Coil (with progressive spring)
OneUp Components Aluminum Pedal Green
OneUp Components Grips
OneUp Components EDC Lite
TruVativ Descendant Grips - Locking
Chromag BZA bar
Chromag BZA 35mm Stem
Deity Stem Spacer
Magura MT7 Brake Set
SRAM Dub English Thread Bottom Bracket
SRAM GX EAGLE Groupset
CHROMAG TRAILMASTER LTD CHROMO SADDLE
Industry 9 Enduro S 27.5
Maxxis Minion DHR OO 27.5x2.4
Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.5
Magura QM416 rear 180mm rotor
Magura QM42 Front to 203mm rotor
Magura Storm HC Rotor 180
Magura Storm HC Rotor 203mm

The total weight came out to about 35lbs which isn't bad considering my hardtail was 31lbs.

I've only ridden the bike on single-track trails as I dial in the suspension but I have been able to climb with the coil shock on firm setting as I did on my hardtail. When I go to the softest setting this bike glides through rough terrain like a Cadillac! This bike is intended to be a park bike mostly so it's perfect but is still very capable of technical trail riding. Still have to do a bunch more riding to dial it in but I love the bike so far!

Ferrum NV170

Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
doodawesome wrote:
I recently put together my NV170 and I figured I would share my thoughts about this bike. I started looking into my options for a steel frame full-suspension bike and my search only showed manufacturers in the UK primarily and prices were equivalent to a carbon bike but I was lucky to come across Ferrum in my search and they just so happen to be locally built in Las Vegas. Naturally, I wanted to support a local builder since I am a native of the city, plus the price was excellent compared to the latter options. It was a no-brainer so I reached out to Matt and he was quick to respond with suggestions on sizing and setup. After a few weeks, he hand-delivered the bike to my house and I got to talk bike with him. He is down to earth and I have no regrets supporting Ferrum.

That being said, I come from riding steel frame hardtails on single track trails and have done occasional bike parks in them too. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a full-suspension bike and wanted something that wasn't carbon. Ultimately weight is the first question that comes to mind with steel frame bikes so here is my build:

Ferrum NV170
DVO Onyx SC D1 Boost | 170mm | 27.5"
PNW 170mm Dropper Post
PNW Loam Dropper Lever Grey 22.2
DVO JadeX Coil (with progressive spring)
OneUp Components Aluminum Pedal Green
OneUp Components Grips
OneUp Components EDC Lite
TruVativ Descendant Grips - Locking
Chromag BZA bar
Chromag BZA 35mm Stem
Deity Stem Spacer
Magura MT7 Brake Set
SRAM Dub English Thread Bottom Bracket
SRAM GX EAGLE Groupset
CHROMAG TRAILMASTER LTD CHROMO SADDLE
Industry 9 Enduro S 27.5
Maxxis Minion DHR OO 27.5x2.4
Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.5
Magura QM416 rear 180mm rotor
Magura QM42 Front to 203mm rotor
Magura Storm HC Rotor 180
Magura Storm HC Rotor 203mm

The total weight came out to about 35lbs which isn't bad considering my hardtail was 31lbs.

I've only ridden the bike on single-track trails as I dial in the suspension but I have been able to climb with the coil shock on firm setting as I did on my hardtail. When I go to the softest setting this bike glides through rough terrain like a Cadillac! This bike is intended to be a park bike mostly so it's perfect but is still very capable of technical trail riding. Still have to do a bunch more riding to dial it in but I love the bike so far!

Ferrum NV170
That’s a great looking build and nice backdrop!
Yeah Matt is a great guy as I was in the same exact situation as you (Sans the hard tails) and supporting a local builder was my call as well. I love the bike, rides like a dream.
Enjoy the ride!

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
Hey folks, anyone gotten a 29x2.6 tire in one of these? Preferably in the forward dropout position? Or no way?

Thanks!

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Got a Nobby Nic 29x2.6 in the forward drop out position with plenty of tire clearance.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Just swapped my Topaz T3 to a CCDB Coil and... boy what a difference. Loving the coil feel over the air. With the DVO, I found that I was compromising a lot when it came to bottom out and ran more air pressure and less sag. So far that does not seem as much of an issue with the coil.

I have just the standard spring on and it seems to be about right for my weight, but I have not measured the sag yet. Seems to smoot out the chatter much better and also feels a bit more poppy when trying to get the bike off the ground. Overall, it was definitely a much needed upgrade and feels amazing. Next thing to try is a progressive spring.

Keep on shredding y'all

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
Anyone ride the LVN160 yet?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
Gilbo182 wrote:
Anyone ride the LVN160 yet?
Not yet but it is isn’t crosshairs on the shortlist.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:37 Quote
Hey Ferrum family,
If anyone is interested I have my NV170 size 2 frame up for grabs in the buy sell section.
Really needed to build as a 29 but sadly I didn’t have the parts and thought I could get on with a 27.5 build in my area.
Cheers,
JG

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007582
Mobile Version of Website