Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
Author Message
Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 11:00 Quote
jgottya1 wrote:
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues since the get go, poor pivot bolt/bearing tolerances with no solutions. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.
I have a 170 and love it. 180 Onyx, 27.5 wheels. I ride the sack off it on moderate tech trails to free ride lines. It is a blast. The long and slack thing took me a bit to get used to as all of my other bikes are a tad less modern geometry hype wise. But once you get the comfort level of weighting the front more, it absolutely rails. I would not give this up nor swap it out for less travel. Just plain fun to ride machine that is durable and simple to deal with over the long haul. Matt is great to work with as well! And it is great to see the Ferrum family growing here, some great looking new builds.
Modern LT bikes are incredible no doubt, more travel the better in most cases. Is your Onyx a 27.5 or 29?

Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 12:13 Quote
jeffbiederman wrote:
Hey everyone, thought I would share my new build. 145/150.
Nice. Do you get to try it soon, or do you live someplace with pesky "seasons"?

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 5:28 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues since the get go, poor pivot bolt/bearing tolerances with no solutions. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.

Been on my 170 for a few months (170 onyx and 29r). Im glad I didnt go with the 145, especially paired with the jade x. The platform on that shock really changes what this bike can be used for. Im perfectly balanced on the bike, which feels amazing. It is long, so tight trails took a little getting used to. Park season is right around the corner and this thing will be a blast!

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 10:12 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
jgottya1 wrote:
youngandthriving wrote:
Hi all
May be ordering a Ferrum soon. My transition spire has been having issues since the get go, poor pivot bolt/bearing tolerances with no solutions. Main concern is multiple users in this forum have gotten rid of theirs shortly after purchase. Any reasons? Otherwise, having a tough time deciding between the 145 and 170. Any Ferrum owners wishing they went with the other travel option? Anyway if anyone has general advice/words of wisdom it'd be much appreciated.
I have a 170 and love it. 180 Onyx, 27.5 wheels. I ride the sack off it on moderate tech trails to free ride lines. It is a blast. The long and slack thing took me a bit to get used to as all of my other bikes are a tad less modern geometry hype wise. But once you get the comfort level of weighting the front more, it absolutely rails. I would not give this up nor swap it out for less travel. Just plain fun to ride machine that is durable and simple to deal with over the long haul. Matt is great to work with as well! And it is great to see the Ferrum family growing here, some great looking new builds.
Modern LT bikes are incredible no doubt, more travel the better in most cases. Is your Onyx a 27.5 or 29?
It’s a 27.5

Posted: Apr 2, 2022 at 21:40 Quote
I recently put together my NV170 and I figured I would share my thoughts about this bike. I started looking into my options for a steel frame full-suspension bike and my search only showed manufacturers in the UK primarily and prices were equivalent to a carbon bike but I was lucky to come across Ferrum in my search and they just so happen to be locally built in Las Vegas. Naturally, I wanted to support a local builder since I am a native of the city, plus the price was excellent compared to the latter options. It was a no-brainer so I reached out to Matt and he was quick to respond with suggestions on sizing and setup. After a few weeks, he hand-delivered the bike to my house and I got to talk bike with him. He is down to earth and I have no regrets supporting Ferrum.

That being said, I come from riding steel frame hardtails on single track trails and have done occasional bike parks in them too. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a full-suspension bike and wanted something that wasn't carbon. Ultimately weight is the first question that comes to mind with steel frame bikes so here is my build:

Ferrum NV170
DVO Onyx SC D1 Boost | 170mm | 27.5"
PNW 170mm Dropper Post
PNW Loam Dropper Lever Grey 22.2
DVO JadeX Coil (with progressive spring)
OneUp Components Aluminum Pedal Green
OneUp Components Grips
OneUp Components EDC Lite
TruVativ Descendant Grips - Locking
Chromag BZA bar
Chromag BZA 35mm Stem
Deity Stem Spacer
Magura MT7 Brake Set
SRAM Dub English Thread Bottom Bracket
SRAM GX EAGLE Groupset
CHROMAG TRAILMASTER LTD CHROMO SADDLE
Industry 9 Enduro S 27.5
Maxxis Minion DHR OO 27.5x2.4
Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.5
Magura QM416 rear 180mm rotor
Magura QM42 Front to 203mm rotor
Magura Storm HC Rotor 180
Magura Storm HC Rotor 203mm

The total weight came out to about 35lbs which isn't bad considering my hardtail was 31lbs.

I've only ridden the bike on single-track trails as I dial in the suspension but I have been able to climb with the coil shock on firm setting as I did on my hardtail. When I go to the softest setting this bike glides through rough terrain like a Cadillac! This bike is intended to be a park bike mostly so it's perfect but is still very capable of technical trail riding. Still have to do a bunch more riding to dial it in but I love the bike so far!

Ferrum NV170

Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
doodawesome wrote:
I recently put together my NV170 and I figured I would share my thoughts about this bike. I started looking into my options for a steel frame full-suspension bike and my search only showed manufacturers in the UK primarily and prices were equivalent to a carbon bike but I was lucky to come across Ferrum in my search and they just so happen to be locally built in Las Vegas. Naturally, I wanted to support a local builder since I am a native of the city, plus the price was excellent compared to the latter options. It was a no-brainer so I reached out to Matt and he was quick to respond with suggestions on sizing and setup. After a few weeks, he hand-delivered the bike to my house and I got to talk bike with him. He is down to earth and I have no regrets supporting Ferrum.

That being said, I come from riding steel frame hardtails on single track trails and have done occasional bike parks in them too. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a full-suspension bike and wanted something that wasn't carbon. Ultimately weight is the first question that comes to mind with steel frame bikes so here is my build:

Ferrum NV170
DVO Onyx SC D1 Boost | 170mm | 27.5"
PNW 170mm Dropper Post
PNW Loam Dropper Lever Grey 22.2
DVO JadeX Coil (with progressive spring)
OneUp Components Aluminum Pedal Green
OneUp Components Grips
OneUp Components EDC Lite
TruVativ Descendant Grips - Locking
Chromag BZA bar
Chromag BZA 35mm Stem
Deity Stem Spacer
Magura MT7 Brake Set
SRAM Dub English Thread Bottom Bracket
SRAM GX EAGLE Groupset
CHROMAG TRAILMASTER LTD CHROMO SADDLE
Industry 9 Enduro S 27.5
Maxxis Minion DHR OO 27.5x2.4
Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.5
Magura QM416 rear 180mm rotor
Magura QM42 Front to 203mm rotor
Magura Storm HC Rotor 180
Magura Storm HC Rotor 203mm

The total weight came out to about 35lbs which isn't bad considering my hardtail was 31lbs.

I've only ridden the bike on single-track trails as I dial in the suspension but I have been able to climb with the coil shock on firm setting as I did on my hardtail. When I go to the softest setting this bike glides through rough terrain like a Cadillac! This bike is intended to be a park bike mostly so it's perfect but is still very capable of technical trail riding. Still have to do a bunch more riding to dial it in but I love the bike so far!

Ferrum NV170
That’s a great looking build and nice backdrop!
Yeah Matt is a great guy as I was in the same exact situation as you (Sans the hard tails) and supporting a local builder was my call as well. I love the bike, rides like a dream.
Enjoy the ride!

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
Hey folks, anyone gotten a 29x2.6 tire in one of these? Preferably in the forward dropout position? Or no way?

Thanks!

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Got a Nobby Nic 29x2.6 in the forward drop out position with plenty of tire clearance.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Just swapped my Topaz T3 to a CCDB Coil and... boy what a difference. Loving the coil feel over the air. With the DVO, I found that I was compromising a lot when it came to bottom out and ran more air pressure and less sag. So far that does not seem as much of an issue with the coil.

I have just the standard spring on and it seems to be about right for my weight, but I have not measured the sag yet. Seems to smoot out the chatter much better and also feels a bit more poppy when trying to get the bike off the ground. Overall, it was definitely a much needed upgrade and feels amazing. Next thing to try is a progressive spring.

Keep on shredding y'all

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
Anyone ride the LVN160 yet?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
Gilbo182 wrote:
Anyone ride the LVN160 yet?
Not yet but it is isn’t crosshairs on the shortlist.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:37 Quote
Hey Ferrum family,
If anyone is interested I have my NV170 size 2 frame up for grabs in the buy sell section.
Really needed to build as a 29 but sadly I didn’t have the parts and thought I could get on with a 27.5 build in my area.
Cheers,
JG

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
Hi all, I’m really interested in the LV145 as an alternative to carbon, and the price is nice.

Are you guys satisfied with the build quality (welds, frame alignment, durability)? Does anyone know the builder’s technical backgrounds or the R&D process?

I’ve been researching other non carbon FS options (Reeb, Banshee and others) and there is much more info available via video shop tours, interviews, etc.

It would be great to know more about the person or people behind this brand. I love steel bikes and these look nice.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 21:33 Quote
space-robot wrote:
Hi all, I’m really interested in the LV145 as an alternative to carbon, and the price is nice.

Are you guys satisfied with the build quality (welds, frame alignment, durability)? Does anyone know the builder’s technical backgrounds or the R&D process?

I’ve been researching other non carbon FS options (Reeb, Banshee and others) and there is much more info available via video shop tours, interviews, etc.

It would be great to know more about the person or people behind this brand. I love steel bikes and these look nice.

Matt is awesome. My 145 has been flawless. One issue with the painter/powdercoating guys, it took longer than expected and I had a few spots on the bike that didn’t get paint. Matt sent me some paint to touch it up.

Quality of the welds are

Reach out to him if you have any questions comments or concerns he will chat with you and give you all the details you want. You can see my bike a few pages back

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 18:26 Quote
russellherman wrote:
Nictue wrote:
russellherman wrote:
Managed to get a proper ride in for the first time last weekend. Such a difference from the Giant and was so nice to ride. I still have some set up to do with the suspension and I am grossly out of shape but initial first impressions were good. Next ride Ill make some pressure changes on the shock set up and think a little more critical on how it handles. Ill put more up once I get a better feel. For a bike at 37 lbs it sure didnt feel like it.

Sweet! I've been tooling around in my woods, nothing sustained yet. The drop of from yard to woods is pretty steep so I can say the climbing ability is impressive. No real front end wandering, and I was able to stay on it even with rear wheel spin (due to snow).

But I haven't done real trail riding in years, only downhill, so what do I know.

So I have managed to get 3 proper rides on the bike with everything going on down a trail I have never ridden before and first impressions are I effing love this thing. The geometry and overall feel of the bike is super confidence inspiring. I was pushing things first ride without questioning whether it would be pushing a little too hard on the first ride.

I rode https://www.trailforks.com/trails/shale-trail/ as it is one of the only areas properly open and really the only trail the guy I was ridding with new. There are some drops and jumps and by the third ride down the trail I was trying to hit everything as fast as I could and trying to hit every drop and jump.

I like the flex the frame offers as it seems to add a little pop to the 170mm of travel and really lets me see where I can push it. I still have yet to get out on my normal trails to really get a comparison from what I ride frequently but so far I think I am in love.

I was hoping to do a back to back ride with the 2014 Reign X to get a bit of a comparison but it sold before I could really get on it. But just riding it around the house before it was picked up allowed me to really feel the difference between new and old geo. I just didnt feel as confident on it as I do the Ferrum.

So far if anyone else is looking at it the one thing that is really noticeable to me at least the linear rear travel. I really have to boost up the air pressure on the rear shock to not feel like I am bottoming out too hard on larger drops. If I were to do it all over again I would consider a coil with progressive spring or think about some custom valving to add some extra progression on the rear shock. Overall it feels great but just one thing that I have noticed so far.

The next little while will be searching for some parts to reduce the weight a bit to closer to 34lbs as I have some older parts just to get riding. So far performance wise I am blown away. Even after riding a $8k demo bike, devinci spartan, I would say this feels more fun, just a little heavier than a carbon performance bike.

Ill post more as well as some video and photos as I am able to get out time permitting. If anyone has any questions about the bike at all fire away. Have not had nearly as much time on it was I would like but with the days getting longer I should be able to get out more in the evening after the kids go down.

I’ve ordered “an” NV170 frame that’s in painting stage now. Excited.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007893
Mobile Version of Website