Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 19:48 Quote
trailnuts wrote:
russellherman wrote:
Nictue wrote:

Sweet! I've been tooling around in my woods, nothing sustained yet. The drop of from yard to woods is pretty steep so I can say the climbing ability is impressive. No real front end wandering, and I was able to stay on it even with rear wheel spin (due to snow).

But I haven't done real trail riding in years, only downhill, so what do I know.

So I have managed to get 3 proper rides on the bike with everything going on down a trail I have never ridden before and first impressions are I effing love this thing. The geometry and overall feel of the bike is super confidence inspiring. I was pushing things first ride without questioning whether it would be pushing a little too hard on the first ride.

I rode https://www.trailforks.com/trails/shale-trail/ as it is one of the only areas properly open and really the only trail the guy I was ridding with new. There are some drops and jumps and by the third ride down the trail I was trying to hit everything as fast as I could and trying to hit every drop and jump.

I like the flex the frame offers as it seems to add a little pop to the 170mm of travel and really lets me see where I can push it. I still have yet to get out on my normal trails to really get a comparison from what I ride frequently but so far I think I am in love.

I was hoping to do a back to back ride with the 2014 Reign X to get a bit of a comparison but it sold before I could really get on it. But just riding it around the house before it was picked up allowed me to really feel the difference between new and old geo. I just didnt feel as confident on it as I do the Ferrum.

So far if anyone else is looking at it the one thing that is really noticeable to me at least the linear rear travel. I really have to boost up the air pressure on the rear shock to not feel like I am bottoming out too hard on larger drops. If I were to do it all over again I would consider a coil with progressive spring or think about some custom valving to add some extra progression on the rear shock. Overall it feels great but just one thing that I have noticed so far.

The next little while will be searching for some parts to reduce the weight a bit to closer to 34lbs as I have some older parts just to get riding. So far performance wise I am blown away. Even after riding a $8k demo bike, devinci spartan, I would say this feels more fun, just a little heavier than a carbon performance bike.

Ill post more as well as some video and photos as I am able to get out time permitting. If anyone has any questions about the bike at all fire away. Have not had nearly as much time on it was I would like but with the days getting longer I should be able to get out more in the evening after the kids go down.

I’ve ordered “an” NV170 frame that’s in painting stage now. Excited.

Congrats. Every time I head out for a ride I remember how much I love it. Looking forward to seeing it built up.

Posted: Jul 13, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
NY2CO wrote:
space-robot wrote:
Hi all, I’m really interested in the LV145 as an alternative to carbon, and the price is nice.

Are you guys satisfied with the build quality (welds, frame alignment, durability)? Does anyone know the builder’s technical backgrounds or the R&D process?

I’ve been researching other non carbon FS options (Reeb, Banshee and others) and there is much more info available via video shop tours, interviews, etc.

It would be great to know more about the person or people behind this brand. I love steel bikes and these look nice.

Matt is awesome. My 145 has been flawless. One issue with the painter/powdercoating guys, it took longer than expected and I had a few spots on the bike that didn’t get paint. Matt sent me some paint to touch it up.

Quality of the welds are

Reach out to him if you have any questions comments or concerns he will chat with you and give you all the details you want. You can see my bike a few pages back

Thanks for the info! I’ll send him an email. You said “Quality of the welds are ____” ? I assume good, no?

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 9:03 Quote
Anyone getting way more pedal strikes than previous bikes? I tried to figureout bb height when I was ordering my lv145 but had a hard time figuring it out but struggled and didn’t see anyone say anything about it on forums and reviews etc. but man I get a lot of pedal strikes, anyone else having this issue as well?

I’m having to stop pedaling and adjusting pedals A lot while climbing tech and even going over rollers.

Would love to know what others are experiencing. I have scram gx 170 cranks. Should I consider getting 165s?

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 17:28 Quote
I have an NV170 and a NVHT both setup 170 Fork and mullet. I’ve been riding both since spring 2021. They are amazing bikes built to take some serious abuse. Ferrum has amazing customer service and they take good care of you.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
NY2CO wrote:
Anyone getting way more pedal strikes than previous bikes? I tried to figureout bb height when I was ordering my lv145 but had a hard time figuring it out but struggled and didn’t see anyone say anything about it on forums and reviews etc. but man I get a lot of pedal strikes, anyone else having this issue as well?

I’m having to stop pedaling and adjusting pedals A lot while climbing tech and even going over rollers.

Would love to know what others are experiencing. I have scram gx 170 cranks. Should I consider getting 165s?

I'm running white industries m30 at 172mm on my NV170 with 29r wheels. I haven't had any pedal strikes, but I am usually pretty careful about pedal placement during climbs and descents.

Posted: Jul 24, 2022 at 23:20 Quote
space-robot wrote:
NY2CO wrote:
space-robot wrote:
Hi all, I’m really interested in the LV145 as an alternative to carbon, and the price is nice.

Are you guys satisfied with the build quality (welds, frame alignment, durability)? Does anyone know the builder’s technical backgrounds or the R&D process?

I’ve been researching other non carbon FS options (Reeb, Banshee and others) and there is much more info available via video shop tours, interviews, etc.

It would be great to know more about the person or people behind this brand. I love steel bikes and these look nice.

Matt is awesome. My 145 has been flawless. One issue with the painter/powdercoating guys, it took longer than expected and I had a few spots on the bike that didn’t get paint. Matt sent me some paint to touch it up.

Quality of the welds are

Reach out to him if you have any questions comments or concerns he will chat with you and give you all the details you want. You can see my bike a few pages back

Thanks for the info! I’ll send him an email. You said “Quality of the welds are ____” ? I assume good, no?

Ya, the welds on my bike are fantastic.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 5:37 Quote
space-robot wrote:

Ferrum LV145 welds:

Ferrum LV145

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
Bumping, read through most all responses here, lots of great info!

Definitely considered purchasing. I have all the parts from a 27.5 build ready (cracked Nukeproof Mega 275 frame).

What would be the better 27.5 option? The 170 or 160? Maybe even the 145? (I can reduce travel in my fork and buy a new shock)

Posted: Sep 23, 2022 at 19:31 Quote
Joevial wrote:

Definitely considered purchasing. I have all the parts from a 27.5 build ready (cracked Nukeproof Mega 275 frame).

What would be the better 27.5 option? The 170 or 160? Maybe even the 145? (I can reduce travel in my fork and buy a new shock)

Idk where you ride or your style but I’m based in Colorado and ride some chunky front range stuff and flowy stuff. All of it is earn your turns style with big climbs to turn around and descend. Love my 145 with my 160 onyx up front. Pedals great. Descends great. Plenty of travel.

Posted: Sep 23, 2022 at 21:16 Quote
NY2CO wrote:
Joevial wrote:

Idk where you ride or your style but I’m based in Colorado and ride some chunky front range stuff and flowy stuff. All of it is earn your turns style with big climbs to turn around and descend. Love my 145 with my 160 onyx up front. Pedals great. Descends great. Plenty of travel.

Thanks for the reply!

Northwest Arkansas rider here. Our riding is usually 5 minute climbs for 2 minute descents.

Great to hear on your 145. You guys have much more elevation change than we do, so I think either it the 145 or 160 would be a good option.

Sounds like a shorter travel option would be better, and run it as stiff as possible (for a single pivot). I’m really leaning towards that 160, looks like the frame kinematics are more progressive and ramp up a bit more in the long travel. Probably a bit softer off the top though.

Posted: Sep 25, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
Stepped away from my downhill bike this weekend and rode my first gen LV145. The geo feels so nice for climbing and descending, really comfortable even after riding my Canfield exclusively for a year and a half.

It is still a single pivot, so it gets hung up more than the CBF linkage. But that's not a deal breaker for me.

Took a big hit at the end of the day and it handled it really well (set the Topaz on firm compression first). Used all of the travel obviously but it was not harsh.

Views: 32    Faves: 0    Comments: 2

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007305
Mobile Version of Website