Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
Author Message
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
Nictue wrote:
You could for sure save some weight going to trail tires and rims. It is a steel bike though. XT group is fairly decent weight, yes?

I did a little messing around with numbers, and with decent carbon rims, an XT set and nice but fairly standard build stuff, I think I could get an XL frame (9 lbs on it's own) down to about 33 lbs. That seems totally reasonable to me.

I love the idea of this bike. I'm just a bit concerned that they are SO new to the market. I reached out to them via Messenger to ask some questions last week, and they haven't got back to me - that also concerns me a bit. I get that everyone in the industry is insanely busy right now.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
SBakker wrote:
Nictue wrote:
You could for sure save some weight going to trail tires and rims. It is a steel bike though. XT group is fairly decent weight, yes?

I did a little messing around with numbers, and with decent carbon rims, an XT set and nice but fairly standard build stuff, I think I could get an XL frame (9 lbs on it's own) down to about 33 lbs. That seems totally reasonable to me.

I love the idea of this bike. I'm just a bit concerned that they are SO new to the market. I reached out to them via Messenger to ask some questions last week, and they haven't got back to me - that also concerns me a bit. I get that everyone in the industry is insanely busy right now.

I found them to be very responsive to instagram DMs, fwiw.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
Was wondering...does anyone know what the differences are between the LV and NV other than the shock stroke and the headtube length?

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
MegalodonMatt wrote:
Was wondering...does anyone know what the differences are between the LV and NV other than the shock stroke and the headtube length?

No, but they're pretty responsive if you reach out by Instagram DM. I'm seriously considering an LV, just gotta decide on a color!

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
SBakker wrote:
No, but they're pretty responsive if you reach out by Instagram DM. I'm seriously considering an LV, just gotta decide on a color!
I did. I guess the only difference is..
"The NV uses thicker tubing for the increased stresses of the higher travel."
They list the weights for both frames the same on their web page though, so I'm guessing the difference is negligible?
I just ordered the LV frame in matte grey about two weeks ago now, can't wait to get it in!

Posted: Dec 24, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
Looks like prices increased a tad ????

Posted: Dec 25, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
No, but they're pretty responsive if you reach out by Instagram DM. I'm seriously considering an LV, just gotta decide on a color![/Quote]

How is the sizing on frames? Currently on a large Salsa Timberjack (I’m just under 6’2”, but long arms and torso and shortish legs.) I’m thinking the size 3. Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 25, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
OGkoontz wrote:
Looks like prices increased a tad ????

Yep, looks like they just popped up $100.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
can anyone give a review on the LV145? things it does well? things it doesn't? other bikes you might compare it to? hard to find any info on these.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
I had one for 3 months, very capable on rough terrain but heavy. My build was 38 pounds. With 150mm up front and 145mm rear, for my tame trails it was overkill. Frame was built well but basic.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
I ride pretty chunky stuff in CO, AZ, UT, and NM, so the travel is probably appropriate. not so stoked about the weight, but do want to try a steel bike.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
Anyone with some time on either FS frame and the Topaz shock have any feedback on the shock performance and tuning with the single pivot ? I just ordered an NV170 last night. Pretty amped up.
Cheers!

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
Looking back I would have called dvo to have a shock tuned for my weight/ riding style before it was sent to Ferrum. I find I do blow through travel on bigger drops and that. Nothing crazy but would have liked a little more ramp up at the end of the stroke.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
russellherman wrote:
Looking back I would have called dvo to have a shock tuned for my weight/ riding style before it was sent to Ferrum. I find I do blow through travel on bigger drops and that. Nothing crazy but would have liked a little more ramp up at the end of the stroke.

Thank you very much for the heads up! Appreciate it.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
I am curious about the sizing for a Ferrum LV145, if you have a Ferrum, how tall are you and what size did you go with?

I do go for longer bikes even though I am 5'8"ish and usually size up. I like to be in the 18" reach but also look for a top tube length of 24"-25". Top tube is important for me because that's what I am comfortable with. I know seat tubes are getting steeper and making top tubes short which also makes you sit upright more, which feels wrong to me and cockpit cramped.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008119
Mobile Version of Website