Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
Outstanding looker man!!!!
2 new builds here in one weekend...lottery day!
I was down at lunch break and checked my wheelbase...WOW...50 inches... never gave it a thought..now i am scared..lol.
Perspective.. my knolly podium old school mullet..26/27.5 boxxer world cup raked out is at 47.5 inches in size medium.
Great ride report, thanks. Was hoping for one today but work all day and night...you had a beauty of one.
Were your frame stickers on the top tube patially unstuck when you got yours??
Also if you have not, and you get a sec, undo your front shockmount bolt, gently lift the shock out of the mount and look to see ifit sits a few mm to one side versus the other. Mine did..
Cheers!

MegalodonMatt wrote:

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 18:44 Quote
jgottya1 wrote:
I was down at lunch break and checked my wheelbase...WOW...50 inches... never gave it a thought..now i am scared..lol.
Perspective.. my knolly podium old school mullet..26/27.5 boxxer world cup raked out is at 47.5 inches in size medium.
Great ride report, thanks. Was hoping for one today but work all day and night...you had a beauty of one.
Also if you have not, and you get a sec, undo your front shockmount bolt, gently lift the shock out of the mount and look to see ifit sits a few mm to one side versus the other. Mine did..
Cheers!

Thanks man. My frame didn't have any stickers applied when I got it..I put a small one on as a head badge and some All Mtn Style frame protectors..

And yes, I have undone my shock and also noticed that it goes a few mm off to the side..might that be a sign that the frame is a little out of line?

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
Yeah man it looks really nice! Had the ferrum headtube sticker on mine and some thick ferrum decals on the TT but they were peeling a tad. Matt said new ones in the works.
Yeah i saw the little askew on the shock mount and have cocerns about side loading and premature shock wear. Have seen some on factory built frames too. But at this point it is time to ride it and see how it goes. Yeah 63.5 HT angle posted is pretty slack, and regardless of the nuances of the overall, i can adapt to it. More concerned about not having to worry about reliability when i let go of the brakes and pull up.
Rain due tomorrow so have to take an oldie out in the morning, next good day ...first ride report.

MegalodonMatt wrote:
jgottya1 wrote:
Cheers!

Thanks man. My frame didn't have any stickers applied when I got it..I put a small one on as a head badge and some All Mtn Style frame protectors..

And yes, I have undone my shock and also noticed that it goes a few mm off to the side..might that be a sign that the frame is a little out of line?

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
Hello people, I am planning on purchasing a NV170, after reading through this forum, I have some questions before ordering. DVO air shock tuning? I am planning on ordering the frame with a DVO topaz air, what exactly will dvo do to it if I ask to have it tuned for the single pivot/riding style. And is the tuning necessary?
Hanger/dropouts? I am very concerned about bending a hanger and not finding a replacement(PTSD from my nukeproof/CRC) I DMed Ferrum on insta and they sent me two websites that had LOTS of hangers and dropouts, anyone have a specific link to the hangers for the NV?
Also, what does single pivot feel like, im comming off a Nukeproof mega(horst link i believe)

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Partial answers...
Have the T3, but haven’t installed or ridden it..or the frame yet for that matter.
Hangers... I had Matt sell me a spare set and main pivot axle. Looking at the hangers... you won’t need the second set. They are well made and burly. But I get the piece of mind thing.
wlkr104 wrote:
Hello people, I am planning on purchasing a NV170, after reading through this forum, I have some questions before ordering. DVO air shock tuning? I am planning on ordering the frame with a DVO topaz air, what exactly will dvo do to it if I ask to have it tuned for the single pivot/riding style. And is the tuning necessary?
Hanger/dropouts? I am very concerned about bending a hanger and not finding a replacement(PTSD from my nukeproof/CRC) I DMed Ferrum on insta and they sent me two websites that had LOTS of hangers and dropouts, anyone have a specific link to the hangers for the NV?
Also, what does single pivot feel like, im comming off a Nukeproof mega(horst link i believe)

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
wlkr104 wrote:

I spoke with ferrum about the tuning and was reassured that unless I was racing or on either end of the weight spectrum it was not needed. It seems that poor ole have run into bottom out issues but I have noticed most are riding the largest size bikes ferrum makes. I should be receiving my bike in the next week or so and will be able to get on it quickly so I should be able to give an initial impression soon. Also it’s an 8 to ten week waiting period so ordering now and dealing with that in a few weeks won’t delay your bike delivery date.

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
The Topaz on my bike came somewhat set up by Ferrrum. They installed it and put the included spacers in it (5 pos-1 neg) and brought it to a decent pressure level. I didn't ask them to do this so I'm guessing it's the generic way they set it up. I'm honestly not sure what more DVO could do to the shock that you couldn't easily do yourself...psi, sag, and rebound are all personal preferences that you'll have to dial in. The spacers are easy to change around as well. The way Ferrum sent it is just about the best way for a linear suspension set up though.

I was bottoming out my shock on some larger (~4-5') drops and had to go about 15psi over the suggested amount for my weight. The single pivot suspension is lively and fairly plush, but it's true that they don't have that bottomless progressive feel as some modern suspension linkages.

I was also wondering about the dropouts. Would love to grab a back up set.

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 20:27 Quote
The dropouts in their spare and unnatural habitat.
Ferrum dropout set I ordered for spares with the NV 170

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
i've ordered the NV170 with the air shock. i'm getting this frame to swap over stuff from my marin mount vision 9, got sick of the low BB and the e-bike comments lol. gonna hit the opposite end of the suspension tech spectrum. i end up riding my chromo hardtail 90% of the time because it's so much fun... i'm nervous about the weight.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 17:53 Quote
LesZedCB wrote:
i've ordered the NV170 with the air shock. i'm getting this frame to swap over stuff from my marin mount vision 9, got sick of the low BB and the e-bike comments lol. gonna hit the opposite end of the suspension tech spectrum. i end up riding my chromo hardtail 90% of the time because it's so much fun... i'm nervous about the weight.

Welcome.
I too ride my hardtail on a majority of my rides. I guess some people just like getting beat up, haha. Not sure about you, but my love for my steel hardtail definitely played a part in wanting to try a steel full squish. Only got about 30ish miles on it, but I'm definitely not disappointed.
The suspension is really active and highlights how good and smooth the Topaz3 is once you start to dial it in. It does have me reaching for the climb switch on longer stretches of fire road though, guess that's what its there for.
The weight while noticeable isn't terrible, I'm a pretty light weight guy so I like how the frame feels extra planted and there's the 'steel feel' bonus. I would say I notice the weight most when jibbing off small features. The bike feels like it's looking for the ground before it takes off..but I also think that's attributed to my skills, familiarity with the bike, and the long chainstays. But it's those long chainstays and long reach that have me loving berms and descending technical terrain better than ever.
I don't notice the weight as much as I thought I might while doing technical climbs. The steep seatstay makes it a surprisingly adept climber. However the slack head angle and long wheel base are noticeably sluggish on some of the tighter single track corners. Perhaps another learning curve to master though.
My LV145 build at the moment is right about 35.5lbs. That's with a carbon handlebar and wheels, code brakes, mostly GX 11sp transmission, oneup dropper, DVO Topaz/Diamond...so there's some room for improvement there, but not bad compared to other enduro rigs.

Anyways, sorry for the book, but since there's so little info on these frames (I couldn't find a single published review) I wanted to be a bit extra descriptive in answering the questions that you didn't ask. And again these are really just first impressions and one man's opinion.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
Congratulations!
Nothing wrong with eebs but I think you are making a good choice. Something about a handmade chassis from a small builder. Both MegladonMatt and yourself are fortunate to be rocking hardtails.. I miss those rigs, my last rigid was an old Massachusetts built original Merlin. That was long ago. I can suffer myself with weight penalties if I know when the going gets rough, I can let off the brakes and let it rip. Pretty confident this is going to be one of those bikes. Mine is 99.8% done but sadly (or fortunately) my workload is heavy and it is still going to be a bit before I can get it out and drop a ride quality opinion. And thanks MM for doing so, I surely appreciate it!

To me weight is like age, to a degree it is only a parameter not a limiter. I am used to heaving around heavier long travel bikes so for pre-first ride armchairing, you should be fine with the weight. You can surely get it far lighter than my 170. I had to skimp a lot on this and use whatever I had for spares and purchases were cheap as possible within reason.
Off of work and time to go re-dish the Ai rear wheel and get the brakes dialed in.
Cheers!

LesZedCB wrote:

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
MegalodonMatt wrote:
Welcome.
I too ride my hardtail on a majority of my rides. I guess some people just like getting beat up, haha. Not sure about you, but my love for my steel hardtail definitely played a part in wanting to try a steel full squish. Only got about 30ish miles on it, but I'm definitely not disappointed.
The suspension is really active and highlights how good and smooth the Topaz3 is once you start to dial it in. It does have me reaching for the climb switch on longer stretches of fire road though, guess that's what its there for.
The weight while noticeable isn't terrible, I'm a pretty light weight guy so I like how the frame feels extra planted and there's the 'steel feel' bonus. I would say I notice the weight most when jibbing off small features. The bike feels like it's looking for the ground before it takes off..but I also think that's attributed to my skills, familiarity with the bike, and the long chainstays. But it's those long chainstays and long reach that have me loving berms and descending technical terrain better than ever.
I don't notice the weight as much as I thought I might while doing technical climbs. The steep seatstay makes it a surprisingly adept climber. However the slack head angle and long wheel base are noticeably sluggish on some of the tighter single track corners. Perhaps another learning curve to master though.
My LV145 build at the moment is right about 35.5lbs. That's with a carbon handlebar and wheels, code brakes, mostly GX 11sp transmission, oneup dropper, DVO Topaz/Diamond...so there's some room for improvement there, but not bad compared to other enduro rigs.

Anyways, sorry for the book, but since there's so little info on these frames (I couldn't find a single published review) I wanted to be a bit extra descriptive in answering the questions that you didn't ask. And again these are really just first impressions and one man's opinion.

this is great, thanks, all things i wanted to hear about! i like the slack geo, and don't mind the steering being pretty wobbly. i just weighed the other bike and it's coming in at 35# so hopefully i can keep this build close to that. this is going to be my first 29er too so that might be hard to do. the bike park in snoqualmie pass, WA is opening this season so my plan is this will be my 50/50 trail/park bike if it can deliver as both.

jgottya1 wrote:
Congratulations!
Nothing wrong with eebs but I think you are making a good choice. Something about a handmade chassis from a small builder. Both MegladonMatt and yourself are fortunate to be rocking hardtails.. I miss those rigs, my last rigid was an old Massachusetts built original Merlin. That was long ago. I can suffer myself with weight penalties if I know when the going gets rough, I can let off the brakes and let it rip. Pretty confident this is going to be one of those bikes. Mine is 99.8% done but sadly (or fortunately) my workload is heavy and it is still going to be a bit before I can get it out and drop a ride quality opinion. And thanks MM for doing so, I surely appreciate it!

To me weight is like age, to a degree it is only a parameter not a limiter. I am used to heaving around heavier long travel bikes so for pre-first ride armchairing, you should be fine with the weight. You can surely get it far lighter than my 170. I had to skimp a lot on this and use whatever I had for spares and purchases were cheap as possible within reason.
Off of work and time to go re-dish the Ai rear wheel and get the brakes dialed in.
Cheers!

your build looks great, i was really tempted by the spring shock. i also prefer going with small frame builders, it's fun to have something handmade by somebody who loves doing it. Hope work/life eases up soon and you get some more time out on the trails soon!

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 20:36 Quote
Thanks man! I wasn’t planning on the coil, but when there was a late in the build announcement from Matt that the T3 was oos and eta running wildly into summer possibly..I immediately went on the hunt and found the jade for a fair deal, bought it, then of course get word the T3s are here. So I have both.
Right there with ya about supporting small builders, try to all the time.
And thanks, workload isn’t changing anytime soon, but I will force time to get out.
And the headtube on my final build looks like 63.75 degrees, so this should be a hoot pointed south!!
Full build on 27.5s with a dvo onyx 180 and showing a shade less than 64 degrees right about 63.75.

LesZedCB wrote:
MegalodonMatt wrote:
Welcome.

this is great, thanks, all things i wanted to hear about! i like the slack geo, and don't mind the steering being pretty wobbly. i just weighed the other bike and it's coming in at 35# so hopefully i can keep this build close to that. this is going to be my first 29er too so that might be hard to do. the bike park in snoqualmie pass, WA is opening this season so my plan is this will be my 50/50 trail/park bike if it can deliver as both.

jgottya1 wrote:
Congratulations!

Cheers!

your build looks great, i was really tempted by the spring shock. i also prefer going with small frame builders, it's fun to have something handmade by somebody who loves doing it. Hope work/life eases up soon and you get some more time out on the trails soon!

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
Hi there!

Thought I might chime in with my 2c since this thread was pretty much the only place I could find any real info about Ferrum before deciding to pull the trigger. (Spoiler: really happy I did!)

I can't say enough good things about Ferrum itself. Matt was very communicative and was willing to hold my hand through my periods of neurosis. From concerns about frame sizing to suspension components, dropper length, even thoughts on color and how they would match some of the components I had. He always took the time to send detailed and timely responses to my questions. All this to say, Matt made the impression that Ferrum as a company really cares about their customers! Customer Service is top notch.

I inquired back in January, purchased early Feb and received my NV170 frame last week. (According to their site lead time has doubled since) Just completed my build and took it out for a shakedown as soon as the last bolt was tightened.

Build came in at just a hair over 35lbs, I was hoping for the other side of 30s but I also choose a mix of light and.strong and packed it full of hidden tools. I'll be honest when I felt the weight of the frame out of the box it made me question my decision, luckily it's beauty helped me overcome that right away.

So far with limited runs I can say it climes as good if not better than my previous aluminum frame build that weighed in a full 6+ lbs lighter. (Also to be fair these builds are in totally different leagues) I do notice the weight on more technical uphill but that could also be the slack head angle. Point that front wheel downhill and wow I'll say it "Steel is real" the frame feels so planted and stable with just the right amount of playful. I am still dialing in my suspension but initial impression I am simply blown away!

If you are sitting on the fence like I was, take the leap, you wont regret it!! And no I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer!

Oh and as an added bonus, the color I chose was pretty much a spot on match to my bike hauler so it looks like a custom matched off-road anywhere set!

Build Key components:
DVO Suspension with Jade X and Onyx SC set at 180mm travel
Mixed XX1 and GX Sram Eagle drivetrain
Truvativ Stylo Carbon Cranks
Magura MT5 with MDR-P rotors 220mm front 200mm rear
Chromag BZA Carbon bars
Custom wheelset with Raceface Arc hoops and Bitex hubs - brought over from my previous build and a new set is likely in this bikes future
Funn Stem and Pedals
Spank Spike 160 saddle
Granite stash hidden tool setup headtube and bar ends

Sorry everyone for the long writeup! Here's some eye candy:

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
scottcrsi wrote:
Hi there!

Thought I might chime in with my 2c since this thread was pretty much the only place I could find any real info about Ferrum before deciding to pull the trigger. (Spoiler: really happy I did!)

I can't say enough good things about Ferrum itself. Matt was very communicative and was willing to hold my hand through my periods of neurosis. From concerns about frame sizing to suspension components, dropper length, even thoughts on color and how they would match some of the components I had. He always took the time to send detailed and timely responses to my questions. All this to say, Matt made the impression that Ferrum as a company really cares about their customers! Customer Service is top notch.

I inquired back in January, purchased early Feb and received my NV170 frame last week. (According to their site lead time has doubled since) Just completed my build and took it out for a shakedown as soon as the last bolt was tightened.

Build came in at just a hair over 35lbs, I was hoping for the other side of 30s but I also choose a mix of light and.strong and packed it full of hidden tools. I'll be honest when I felt the weight of the frame out of the box it made me question my decision, luckily it's beauty helped me overcome that right away.

So far with limited runs I can say it climes as good if not better than my previous aluminum frame build that weighed in a full 6+ lbs lighter. (Also to be fair these builds are in totally different leagues) I do notice the weight on more technical uphill but that could also be the slack head angle. Point that front wheel downhill and wow I'll say it "Steel is real" the frame feels so planted and stable with just the right amount of playful. I am still dialing in my suspension but initial impression I am simply blown away!

If you are sitting on the fence like I was, take the leap, you wont regret it!! And no I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer!

Oh and as an added bonus, the color I chose was pretty much a spot on match to my bike hauler so it looks like a custom matched off-road anywhere set!

Build Key components:
DVO Suspension with Jade X and Onyx SC set at 180mm travel
Mixed XX1 and GX Sram Eagle drivetrain
Truvativ Stylo Carbon Cranks
Magura MT5 with MDR-P rotors 220mm front 200mm rear
Chromag BZA Carbon bars
Custom wheelset with Raceface Arc hoops and Bitex hubs - brought over from my previous build and a new set is likely in this bikes future
Funn Stem and Pedals
Spank Spike 160 saddle
Granite stash hidden tool setup headtube and bar ends

Sorry everyone for the long writeup! Here's some eye candy:

Beautiful color! Wish I had done something other than black for my frame. Itching to ride again!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012291
Mobile Version of Website