Ferrum Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Ferrum Bikes
Posted: May 6, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
Nice, glad it has been a performer over the miles!
It does look a tad dry judging by the color of those scrubs to the left and right of that rock drop. Hopefully whereever you are, you are safe from fires!

[Quote="HonzoBro"]
jgottya1 wrote:
Such a sick looking color, loved that one since I first set eyes on it!!
Good to hear it has been performing well and taking the hits. Nice looking lines you have going on there on the trail.

Thanks! Yeah it’s been a solid rig for me for sure! Trail is comin together but need more rain to finish! Probably gonna be next year at this point unfortunately

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Love that color! When I ordered this was the color I thought I was ordering (they changed the color selection on the site to say metallic purple). I was told it was no longer available because the two stage powdercoat was prone to chipping and Ferrum only wanted to offer finishes they could stand by which is understandable.

I don't regret the metallic green for a second but I am curious, how's your finish holding up after all that gnarly riding?

HonzoBro wrote:
Been a while since I posted my violet LV170 (page 3) so I thought I would give a little update. I have a good couple thousand miles on it now of pretty gnarly aggressive riding and the bike has been an absolute monster. Few photos from a new DH line im building, bike eats it up!

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
Yeah it is super dry right now, hardly got any rain this year which is a real bummer for building.

Regarding the powder coat, I have 3m helicopter tape over most all of the frame and its holding up great. No issues for me at all even on the few uncovered areas. Cheers! Love that green BTW

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
Nictue wrote:
MegalodonMatt wrote:
I've got to say though I still find it a bit odd that Pinkbike (or any Mtb website) has never once mentioned this company, I know they're small but PB has featured everything from one off garage builds to tiny manufacturers in Austria turning out similar numbers of frames..yet no love for some American made enduro steel..what gives?!

Lol I can think of least one reason

What is that reason if you don't mind my asking?

I heard them say on the podcast that they haven't reviewed an Evil bike since 2013 because the company refuses to send them bikes to review..which I guess could be the case here.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 23:25 Quote
I am sure Nictue will get back to you on this but my thoughts..
Matt may not want to have the PB peanut gallery pick his creations apart and snivel about through hundreds of comments. Nor may he be able to keep up with demand if he started getting 30-50 orders a month as I have to imagine this is not his day job at this point.

We all chose to support him and take a chance with our cash on one of his builds sight unseen, no test rides and no real public information or reviews.
My reason was he is a USA builder making simplistic, yet rugged, steel full sussers with high quality steel for a very fair price.
They are not 100% flawless works of art, but they also do not cost anywhere near that label.
MegalodonMatt wrote:
Nictue wrote:
MegalodonMatt wrote:
I've got to say though I still find it a bit odd that Pinkbike (or any Mtb website) has never once mentioned this company, I know they're small but PB has featured everything from one off garage builds to tiny manufacturers in Austria turning out similar numbers of frames..yet no love for some American made enduro steel..what gives?!

I heard them say on the podcast that they haven't reviewed an Evil bike since 2013 because the company refuses to send them bikes to review..which I guess could be the case here.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 23:43 Quote
Finally got an actual first ride in!!
Fork came back Friday, DVO squared me away (pinched o ring on damper side)got it put back together Saturday after work. In the interim of the fork being across the country for a few weeks I scored a cheap deal on some crank brothers synthesis wheels with the industry nine rear hub. On the digital and over 3/4 lb lighter than the jekyll takeoffs. So the bike sits at 39 lbs and a few grains.

3 hour romp Sunday morning.. long wheelbase needs to be ridden much differently than what I am accustomed to. I got used to weighting the front more and lightly over steering and leaning through the faster, tight switchback stuff. Managed ok there.

Rear dvo jade with non progressive spring now has this thing feeling like I had imagined. Super plush, excellent climbing traction and very supple on small, medium, and big hits. No bottom out with HSC dialed correctly and no odd feeling changing rate rebound coming out of high speed g outs and technical drop trails.

I also swapped bars out for about 20 mm wider and that made the slack rake flop more tolerable. This thing is incredible going down or off anything steep and rocky, or at speed. I was also surprised how well it climbs. Steep tech, no problems..long grinders, you feel the weight a bit but thankfully I still have quads being over the 1/2 century point.

So far it is super impressive and I am picky in my rides and know exactly how my suspension should feel and act.

I also put all stainless steel shock hardware on while waiting for the fork.

Love this bike, period.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
jgottya1 wrote:
I am sure Nictue will get back to you on this but my thoughts..
Matt may not want to have the PB peanut gallery pick his creations apart and snivel about through hundreds of comments. Nor may he be able to keep up with demand if he started getting 30-50 orders a month as I have to imagine this is not his day job at this point.

We all chose to support him and take a chance with our cash on one of his builds sight unseen, no test rides and no real public information or reviews.
My reason was he is a USA builder making simplistic, yet rugged, steel full sussers with high quality steel for a very fair price.
They are not 100% flawless works of art, but they also do not cost anywhere near that label.
MegalodonMatt wrote:
Nictue wrote:

I assumed there may be a cost associated with PB coverage.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 5:57 Quote
Yeah there may very well be. Hey is that you doing the deadlift? That is a serious looking lift!!

I assumed there may be a cost associated with PB coverage.[/Quote]

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 18:05 Quote
Nictue wrote:
I assumed there may be a cost associated with PB coverage.

Yeah that could be the case. Or like jgottya said, the builder probably isn't pushing for the approval of the PB crowd, and I can't say I would blame him if that were the case.

I guess if I were them I would crate some kind of curated in-house info/riding videos just so that people could get a better sense of what they're getting into. They do seem to have a couple brand ambassadors but their content while good, is not very informative.

Oh well, not my problem anyways haha. I bought mine with very little info (along with most people here) and am happy I did!

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
MegalodonMatt wrote:
Love the color1! I just ordered a NV170 mm in the same color but with blue fork.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 19:29 Quote
MTBerdude wrote:
Love the color1! I just ordered a NV170 mm in the same color but with blue fork.

Thanks. Yeah the grey is nice. Although it is a bit glossier than I was expecting for a matte finish. I guess those kinds of things are a bit subjective though.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
how often are you all on air shocks bottoming out? are you running max spacers?

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
LesZedCB wrote:
how often are you all on air shocks bottoming out? are you running max spacers?

I'm on the Topaz with 4 pos and 1 neg spacers. So not quite the most progressive set up (which would be 5-0) but close. I was still having bottoming issues at factory suggested pressures. So I ended up going about 25 psi over factory and with max (200psi) bladder pressure. Once I did that I eliminated 90% of my bottom outs.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 20:34 Quote
Honestly I gave up on the dvo. Though it is super plush the lack of adjustment other than bands didn’t provide enough support for the single pivots flat leverage curve. I moved over to an X2 and am very happy I did. It rides so much better being able to differentiate between the high and low compression. Allowing for very supple small bump compliance and support during big hits. Couldn’t recommend it more.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
Hello everyone,

Does anyone on this forum have a Size1 of the NV145, or the NV170?
Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013806
Mobile Version of Website