Ebay mistake - old boxxer, HELP!!!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Ebay mistake - old boxxer, HELP!!!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 22:10 Quote
Hi guy's

I've uploaded pictures of them to my profile bike don't know how to include them in here yet.

I resently brought a pair of rockshox boxxer forks on ebay. I'm struggling to identify exactly which one's and I'm pretty certain they're a nasty pair of Frankenstein/boxxer bodge ups.

I really need some help with these please?

I think they are 2006-2009 but due to the lowers being repainted and new decals I'm uncertain. There is a motion control sticker on them I think is original bit is missing as they turned up with softer yellow springs in both sides both are equal length but there are different sized plastic parts in opposite sides. I'm not even sure they are meant to be in them, no external adjusters apart from the rebound with no knob, no maxle and steerer tube's been cut.

They're just a nightmare. Any advice /help will be appreciated as I'm not familiar with these fork at all.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 4:00 Quote
Looks like 06> crowns and casting with 04/05 tubes and internals to me. Are there hollow bolts on both sides of the lowers? (The ones that hold the pushrods to the lowers) check that there's a 3mm hex in either side, one side = boxxer race (rebound only) both sides = boxxer team (rebound and low speed compression)

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
Hi el-booto

Thanks for replying this is really helpful.
I stripped them down completely last night and only of the bolts was hollow and one was sold but when I took the rest of it out there does seem to be rebound on both sides although one side is a larger diameter than the other.

I've not had a lot of experience with suspension forks as I have been running a pair of rockshox psylo U-turn's I brought in 2006 without any problems until recently, I noticed they were getting shorter and thought the u-turn had been wound down but when I wound them to go up it didn't stop turning and nothing happened. On further investigation I discovered the spring was breaking up into little bits.

Unfortunately as I've gotten older I've not really kept upto date with the bike scene so When I bought the Boxxer's I wasn't really thinking about it and just thought boxxers were boxxers.

Lol... Very stupid! There's a lot I hadn't considered. Anyway I've picked up a direct mount stem but still need to change my front wheel now too as I need a maxle. I believe it to be a 20mm so while I'm saving for that I'll give them a good service and try to replace any parts I need to make them work as well as they should.

Any more advice is appreciated,
Thanks for the help,
Steve

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
So with that one shaft being bigger, you have boxxer team internals circa 04/05.

The maxle you need for that fork is not the same as current ones - you will want to get on your local buy/sell threads (pinkbike/Facebook/Ebay etc) and ask around for an 06-09 32mm chassis boxxer maxle.

If you haven't got new leg seals, I'd recommend SKF. The fox 32mm drop straight in and pull a lot of stiction out of the program from the old stockers.
Other than that, just make sure you clean everything really well before you reassemble them and do your research along the way

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
Hi I've measured the dropouts and they measured 20mm threaded one side and I've updated pictures of internals and dropout if you don't mind having a look at them
Thanks, Steve

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010299
Mobile Version of Website