Help me pick out my next enduro bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me pick out my next enduro bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
Hey everyone, I've decided I want to get a long travel 29er to have something that's capable of anything and maybe do a few local enduros on. I've narrowed it down to a few bikes but I'm having trouble choosing one. I would like to stay under $4500 if possible.

So far i'm between:

Commencal Meta AM29 Team

Ibis Ripmo AF SLX build

YT Capra 29 CF Pro (or the Alu LTD if it's still in stock)

Transition Sentinel Alloy GX

Canyon Strive CF 6.0

Guerilla Gravity The Smash - Ride 1 build

Does anyone have any experience with any of these and have any thoughts on which one I should go with?
Right now I'm leaning towards the Commencal only because I think it's the best looking but I've heard it's such a slog on the uphills.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
Ibis tend to hold their value pretty well if you think this is something you'd ever end up selling. Cannot speak for the performance or feel of any of those bikes however

For $3600 I'd also consider the Nukeproof Mega 29 Factory... It's got Fox Factory

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
i would do the capra while it is still in stock, the ltd model that thing looks sick and is a very good bike

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
See if any is available to demo, and add the Slash to the list as well

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
Was in the same position a while ago and had a couple of those bike son my list as well. Namely the Commencal, Canyon and YT. Tested the Yt and Canyon even.

The YT is a bitch to get uphill of those two it had the most pedal bob and just felt heavy and slow. The Strive felt good with the shapeshift and was overall a very good bike but I felt like the shapeshift would just add another point of maintenance and I wasn't up for that.

In the end I went for a Trek Slash 8 (Highest Spec Alloy) cause it felt lively and poppy downhill but still would go fast and do whatever you wanted. It was also the lightest out of the Commencal, Canyon and YT and goes really good uphill. The inly thing I have to complain about are the Guide Brakes. I feel like they are way underpowered for what the rest of the bike is capable of.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
chrysanthos wrote:
See if any is available to demo, and add the Slash to the list as well
I'll check it out!

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
$1000 off the Canyon Strive 6.0

Pretty good deal.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/enduro-bikes/strive/strive-cf-6.0/2005.html?dwvar_2005_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK&quantity=1

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 1:21 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:
Was in the same position a while ago and had a couple of those bike son my list as well. Namely the Commencal, Canyon and YT. Tested the Yt and Canyon even.

The YT is a bitch to get uphill of those two it had the most pedal bob and just felt heavy and slow. The Strive felt good with the shapeshift and was overall a very good bike but I felt like the shapeshift would just add another point of maintenance and I wasn't up for that.

In the end I went for a Trek Slash 8 (Highest Spec Alloy) cause it felt lively and poppy downhill but still would go fast and do whatever you wanted. It was also the lightest out of the Commencal, Canyon and YT and goes really good uphill. The inly thing I have to complain about are the Guide Brakes. I feel like they are way underpowered for what the rest of the bike is capable of.

Pedal bob is almost non-existent with the Slash 8 Big Grin . I changed my brakes to magura MT5, Guide's are ok for trail riding, but not for the occasional enduro race.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 4:21 Quote
chrysanthos wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

Pedal bob is almost non-existent with the Slash 8 Big Grin . I changed my brakes to magura MT5, Guide's are ok for trail riding, but not for the occasional enduro race.

Yeah i know with the pedal bob. I had to check several times to make sure the shock wasn't set to pedal or locked mode Big Grin
I'll probably end up switching them out for shimanos. Always used those, and now that I've tried SRAM I must say I prefer the shimano Feel.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
Ripmo AF.

I have the carbon one and it goes up as well as it goes down, which is great. The coil shock setup would be super cool.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 20:43 Quote
Vitus Sommet CRS.
$2600 price.
Frame: T7-HM-UD Carbon Fibre with modern geometry
Fork: RockShox Lyric CHARGER 2 RC "Boost" 27.5”, 170mm
Rear Shock: RockShox Super Delux R DB1T ML1 TS B1
Brakes: SRAM Guide RE; 200/180 rotors
Drivetrain: SRAM GX Eagle

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Ripmo AF.

I have the carbon one and it goes up as well as it goes down, which is great. The coil shock setup would be super cool.

I've been looking at that Ripmo. I'm currently riding a Santa Cruz HTLT and have been drawn to the Ripmo AF, Hightower 2, and the Guerilla Smash. ALl look like sweet bikes, I'm just trying to get something with a slightly steeper seat tube.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
Might want to add Kona process 153 to your list. Ridden and owned some of the bikes you are looking at and settled on the Kona. Amazing bike for both climbing and descending. I ride the 2019 carbon model and it is so good at everything and just bombs down hill.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
I always forget about that bike. I demo'd a Kona Process 153 a year ago and thought it rode amazingly well.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008605
Mobile Version of Website