Looking to fulfill a 17 year dream

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Looking to fulfill a 17 year dream
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
Hello all! My name’s Gordon and this is my first time posting. A little background story about me; back in 2002 I was looking at getting into mountain/downhill biking and spent the entire summer looking at bikes as well as making several build lists of the “perfect” bike for me. I fell in love with a very specific bike – a 2003 Giant Team DH - but as I was still in high school that bike was just a dream for me. A few months later I got my driver’s licence, bought my first car and raced cars for the next 15 years instead.

Fast forward to today, I’m now 32 years old and would like to do some mountain biking while my body is still able to. I live in Vancouver and I’ve heard there are really nice trails in the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler so those would be the type of trails I’d be riding. I currently use a Walmart bike around town (mostly paved trails) just to get some exercise in, so I am a complete noob at mountain biking. For the past week I’ve been catching up on all the new bikes and technology and wow, a lot has changed!

I’ve always looked at cars like pieces of art and bikes to me are no different. I can’t believe how sexy some bikes look, and for me, Giant takes the cake (Anthem/Trance/Stance/Reign) but as another member said on the forums, I don’t want to go out and buy a $5000 bike for my $1 skills. Soooooo….I looked around and made a build sheet of a perfect-looking-but-basic bike for me today, starting with the ICAN P9 (Evolve Alpha), Fox36/DPS and Sram SX groupset, and it would still cost over $2000 to build. In all honesty my wallet could probably swallow that but my heart can’t. I would LOVE a carbon frame (just because, hah!) which is the only reason why I chose the P9. I’m an auto technician by trade so I *think* I would be able to do all the work myself (building and maintaining).

I’m also open to going used and have checked the buy/sell section and craigslist. So far I’ve found a couple of older Giant Reigns and Trance for under $1000 but a 27.5” won’t fit in the rear (or just barely). What other options do I have for a used 27.5 FS bike with a horst link suspension and under $1000CAD, or am I just dreaming? I’m 5’6” and 135lbs if that matters.

Sorry for the long read!
Gordon

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
justgordon wrote:
Hello all! My name’s Gordon and this is my first time posting. A little background story about me; back in 2002 I was looking at getting into mountain/downhill biking and spent the entire summer looking at bikes as well as making several build lists of the “perfect” bike for me. I fell in love with a very specific bike – a 2003 Giant Team DH - but as I was still in high school that bike was just a dream for me. A few months later I got my driver’s licence, bought my first car and raced cars for the next 15 years instead.

Fast forward to today, I’m now 32 years old and would like to do some mountain biking while my body is still able to. I live in Vancouver and I’ve heard there are really nice trails in the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler so those would be the type of trails I’d be riding. I currently use a Walmart bike around town (mostly paved trails) just to get some exercise in, so I am a complete noob at mountain biking. For the past week I’ve been catching up on all the new bikes and technology and wow, a lot has changed!

I’ve always looked at cars like pieces of art and bikes to me are no different. I can’t believe how sexy some bikes look, and for me, Giant takes the cake (Anthem/Trance/Stance/Reign) but as another member said on the forums, I don’t want to go out and buy a $5000 bike for my $1 skills. Soooooo….I looked around and made a build sheet of a perfect-looking-but-basic bike for me today, starting with the ICAN P9 (Evolve Alpha), Fox36/DPS and Sram SX groupset, and it would still cost over $2000 to build. In all honesty my wallet could probably swallow that but my heart can’t. I would LOVE a carbon frame (just because, hah!) which is the only reason why I chose the P9. I’m an auto technician by trade so I *think* I would be able to do all the work myself (building and maintaining).

I’m also open to going used and have checked the buy/sell section and craigslist. So far I’ve found a couple of older Giant Reigns and Trance for under $1000 but a 27.5” won’t fit in the rear (or just barely). What other options do I have for a used 27.5 FS bike with a horst link suspension and under $1000CAD, or am I just dreaming? I’m 5’6” and 135lbs if that matters.

Sorry for the long read!
Gordon

It can be quite confusing these days with too much choice...first Custom builds are always more expensive than buy ready made bikes. And the take much more time to get parts etc, avoid that or you will dream again for years Smile

Would advise you buy ALU version of Giant Trance or Reign (choose specs according to your budget - look for 2019 models, if you can find any of them, they are a steal at this time of year), it will serve you well for many years, even as your skills progress. You have lifetime warranty also on frame as first owner...
With no skills you already have shitty bike under 1000$ - why have another one? Big Grin Money you can save by buying ALU versions you invest into private skill coaching or skills clinics, its money much better invested than 100g lighter carbon whatever component... Big Grin
Good luck!

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
If you go used, make sure you get something that's using current standards or you'll end up replacing more stuff down the road sooner than you'd like.

You could start by building a good hardtail(saves initial cost) and then upgrade to a full-suspension frame in the future. The advantage to this is that you can get better componentry for a lower initial cost and defer some frame expense. I'd much rather have better components.

Since you've never ridden, you really don't know what aspect of mountain biking you're going to like most, though since you have a racing background it will probably be speed related.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
onyxss wrote:
It can be quite confusing these days with too much choice...first Custom builds are always more expensive than buy ready made bikes. And the take much more time to get parts etc, avoid that or you will dream again for years Smile

Would advise you buy ALU version of Giant Trance or Reign (choose specs according to your budget - look for 2019 models, if you can find any of them, they are a steal at this time of year), it will serve you well for many years, even as your skills progress. You have lifetime warranty also on frame as first owner...
With no skills you already have shitty bike under 1000$ - why have another one? Big Grin Money you can save by buying ALU versions you invest into private skill coaching or skills clinics, its money much better invested than 100g lighter carbon whatever component... Big Grin
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I just thought if I found all the right parts I can build the bike during the winter and have it ready by next season.

Our Giant dealer in Vancouver has the 2019 Reign 2 on sale for $2900cad including tax, is that a good price? That is more than I was looking to spend and I would really need to think about my commitment to the sport before deciding. The lifetime warranty on the frame sounds really good but how often do frames crack?

Explodo wrote:
If you go used, make sure you get something that's using current standards or you'll end up replacing more stuff down the road sooner than you'd like.

You could start by building a good hardtail(saves initial cost) and then upgrade to a full-suspension frame in the future. The advantage to this is that you can get better componentry for a lower initial cost and defer some frame expense. I'd much rather have better components.

Since you've never ridden, you really don't know what aspect of mountain biking you're going to like most, though since you have a racing background it will probably be speed related.

I agree with you that having current standards on a used bike is important, which is why I am looking for a 27.5 instead of a 26 even though there are currently some really good priced 26s. What else should I consider that is "current"? Hydraulic brakes? Dropper post? Boost?

In terms of better components is it mostly the suspension and brakes or is the drivetrain equally important? Would I feel a noticeable difference say if I were using Sram XX1 vs. SX drivetrain components? There's maybe 10% of me that would consider a hardtail but I kind of want to only buy one bike and upgrade that overtime.

I don't know what my local trails have to offer yet but I wouldn't be doing any downhill or crazy jumps, I'd probably stick to single track trails.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
If you are looking at lower end pricing, You will mostly be looking at SRAM NX or SX components, Lower end Forks like the FOX Rhythm or RockShox Revelation, or even DVO or Suntour. All still good stuff but not top performing and definitely heavier.
Boost is pretty standard, IMO - a Dropper post is a Must, Hydraulic brakes are standard on everything now so you will be good there.
So depending on how deep you get into the sport, your first budget bike will only satisfy you for a 4-6 months ( if you are like me). Then you will want better everything.
So if you are spending $1000 CAD and you like the sport you will probably lose $200-400 on the sale of that bike and then spend the money to get what you really want. So basically it will cost you $200 minimum to figure it out.
The alternative is to spend the $2900 on the Giant and if you like the sport , great. Yes you have spent more money but it will become part of your life and IMO it is worth it.
The flip side is if you dont like the sport, then you are out $2900 and can probably sell the bike later for $2000-2200. So you loss will be a lot more.
Here is the catch 22.... The better bike you ride, the more fun you will have and the more you will enjoy the sport. again, just my opinion. Basically Risk will cost you more money or make it worth it in the end.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 14:14 Quote
here are a few used bikes in your area ranging from your low end to your high end: i assume you would be a size medium but some larges fit smaller.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2622985/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2638972/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2638253/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2634331/

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
Boost is definitely something to consider since the vast majority of new parts are boost or wider. 27.5 or 29 is the way to go. There are a few bikes that can do both, so consider that if it's in your ability.

I think the #1 very best thing you can upgrade on a bike to make the most impact is the hubs/wheels. The very close #2 is suspension. Good hubs/wheels just make riding better. If you remember your physics, a few extra pounds on your frame doesn't make a huge difference, but an extra pound in your wheels/tires is big.

Any modern drivetrain will shift fine for you(for now), provided it's properly adjusted. With your mechanical background I predict that you'll be buying some new tools and learning to keep it all properly adjusted. You probably already have most of the tools you need, but eventually you'll end up with more.

You should keep gear range in mind. I feel that 5:1 range is a little small. Most people don't agree with me on that. 5:1 is a reasonable spot to shoot for, but less than that feels really limiting to me.

Don't worry about getting the lightest components, but good components are generally on the lighter end of things.

I really can't speak to that price on that as to whether or not it's good. It has a pretty low range of gears at 11-42. You're either going to lose the top end or the bottom end with that.

I'm old-er and have been riding my whole life, so even my first really good mountain bike($1000 in 1993) was a full rigid. Front suspension was a huge game changer and made riding better and faster by a lot. Rear suspension makes uphills slower(unless you can lock it out or are in special terrain) and downhills faster, but it's not a game changer like front suspension was. Just my opinion.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
You may also want to consider a direct-to-consumer brand if you want "bang for buck." Commencal, YT and Canyon are some brands that sell directly to you and thus cost less. You can get a pretty solid "real" bike for about $2K with those brands, especially this time of year (leftover 2019 models.)

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
Falcon991 wrote:
You may also want to consider a direct-to-consumer brand if you want "bang for buck." Commencal, YT and Canyon are some brands that sell directly to you and thus cost less. You can get a pretty solid "real" bike for about $2K with those brands, especially this time of year (leftover 2019 models.)

Good point on the clearance stuff. Hell, Knolly has frames for less than $1000 right now. I wish I hadn't just built a shop...I'd get one.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
Good point on the DTC.
Hard to beat this bike and build at $2500

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2114/sCategory/511

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 20:28 Quote
I don't think you need to worry about cracking frames or anything like that, you're 135 lbs, physics.

$2900 cad for the reign isn't half bad! I'd keep an eye out for some sale '19 Norcos or something like that too, here in Canada they tend to get pretty cheap.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 6:07 Quote
justgordon wrote:
Our Giant dealer in Vancouver has the 2019 Reign 2 on sale for $2900cad including tax, is that a good price? That is more than I was looking to spend and I would really need to think about my commitment to the sport before deciding. The lifetime warranty on the frame sounds really good but how often do frames crack?

2900$CAD is a great price for Reign 2. Would suggest to go that way, if you don't like sport (hard to belive) you can sell it later (ok, probably loose some $$$, but who cares when going for dreams Razz

If going for 17 year dream, why go half-way with used stuff ?? - buy yourself proper modern bike with LBS support which is more recomended for un-experienced begginers. Also spare yourself with questions like "is NX 10% better than SX or just overpaying" and simmilar questions. That Reign 2 is solid equiped with all that any begginer needs right now and for quite some future skills progress... Big Grin

As you have no experience with used bikes, they can be very good OR very bad deal... :-)

Cracking frames is quite rare these days, but if/when it happens, warranty comes very handy. Better have it than not Big Grin

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
I would keep an eye out for Giant Trance or Reign and Norco Sight or Ranges 2016-2017. These should fit your budget and have a good selection available. Of course you may find some close out year end sales for current models that get close to that as well. Also keep an eye out for Demos or even Rentals in good shape from this season as there will son be deals to be had.

The price you were quoted on the reign is pretty good as Giant should have 20% on some 2019 bikes now. this would also include the trance 2 (2500 plus tax)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009631
Mobile Version of Website