Scott Ransom with Rock Shox Twist Lock

PB Forum :: Scott Bikes
Scott Ransom with Rock Shox Twist Lock
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 5:42 Quote
Hey! Happy owner of a Ransom here.

Wanted to share the option of a cleaner cockpit with the RockShox Twist Lock.

The bike rides great, but was leaving my left hand unhappy with so much to handle. Local shop didn’t know if the pull was right for Twist Lock so I played the guinea pig.

Removed the twinlock from fork (who wants to lock a fork on such a big bike, keeping the front high on climbs?), Installed the Twistlock and what was available as a more natural thumb shift style remote for the dropper.

The feel is awesome. Feel more instinctive to use 2 differents movements ;‘’rotate’’ for the shock / usual thumb for saddle , than having 3 buttons to look for (Scott dropper remote hard to reach btw). Make sure to place the small button on top otherwise you’ll end up opening the shock while rising the saddle.. lol

Setup : Ransom 930 Large
Rider : on a tight budget, 5’10 170 pounds

Pros :
- Very stable/confidence inspiring at speed and down steeps
- Efficient climber (even with shock open)

Cons :
- Speccing a dual mode Yari on an advertised ‘’3 modes’’ (Twinlock) bike is a shame. Who would ride a locked up front and a 120mm rear?
- 2.6’’ soft casing rubbers squirming at speed (unless riding 35+psi..)
- underpowered brakes (4 pistons please!)
- Hard stock saddle (/ delicate butt?)

2.5WT DHF and 2.4 Wild Enduro at the back. Foam grips for more comfort. Favorite bike ever. Loves to go down any terrain, still happy on mellower trails, confortable sitting position for longer climbs.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
ant01ne wrote:

The bike rides great, but was leaving my left hand unhappy with so much to handle. Local shop didn’t know if the pull was right for Twist Lock so I played the guinea pig.

Removed the twinlock from fork (who wants to lock a fork on such a big bike, keeping the front high on climbs?), Installed the Twistlock and what was available as a more natural thumb shift style remote for the dropper.

The feel is awesome. Feel more instinctive to use 2 differents movements ;‘’rotate’’ for the shock / usual thumb for saddle , than having 3 buttons to look for (Scott dropper remote hard to reach btw). Make sure to place the small button on top otherwise you’ll end up opening the shock while rising the saddle.. lol

Pros :
- Very stable/confidence inspiring at speed and down steeps (1250wb 64.5Ha how could it be different?)

Cons :
- Speccing a dual mode Yari on an advertised ‘’3 modes’’ (Twinlock) bike is a shame. Who would ride a locked up front and a 120mm rear?

2.5WT DHF and 2.4 Wild Enduro at the back. Foam grips for more comfort. Favorite bike ever. Loves to go down any terrain, still happy on mellower trails, confortable sitting position for longer climbs.

You lost me at locked up front and 120 rear... that's not how it works. Disconnect the front completely sure. The twinloc on the shock is awesome. I use the lockout and 120mm ALL the time. It makes a huge difference. You can also mount a wolftooth dropper lever on the bottom of the twinloc and retain all of it's functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-nZwSIQX0

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
[Quote="Frontrange"]You lost me at locked up front and 120 rear... that's not how it works. /Quote]

Yes it is. Ransom 930, with the basic Yari. Stock damper only has 2 modes. Locked, or fully open.

Before purchase I rented the 920 with the fox sus. Yeah it's great to have 3 modes. I was indeed mostly in the middle (traction mode) for mellower trails. Locked for access roads. Fully open for downs.

Came out as a surprise on the trails when the first clic on the twinloc got the fork locked.

Whatever I don't really care. Still love the bike. Just weird not to get 3 modes from the fork when there's 3 modes on the lever. Hence the simple "fix" of removing the cable from the fork.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 17:18 Quote
[Quote="ant01ne"]
Frontrange wrote:
You lost me at locked up front and 120 rear... that's not how it works. /Quote]

Yes it is. Ransom 930, with the basic Yari. Stock damper only has 2 modes. Locked, or fully open.

Before purchase I rented the 920 with the fox sus. Yeah it's great to have 3 modes. I was indeed mostly in the middle (traction mode) for mellower trails. Locked for access roads. Fully open for downs.

Came out as a surprise on the trails when the first clic on the twinloc got the fork locked.

Whatever I don't really care. Still love the bike. Just weird not to get 3 modes from the fork when there's 3 modes on the lever. Hence the simple "fix" of removing the cable from the fork.

ahh ok I didnt realize that! Definitely disconnect the fork, the rear is all you need and you really dont even need that.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 1:30 Quote
Tell me more about the twist grip conversion...very interesting. Guess it's a 3 speed shifter? And the pull ratios work ok with the open/trail/lock settings on the Nude?

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
caltife wrote:
Tell me more about the twist grip conversion...very interesting. Guess it's a 3 speed shifter? And the pull ratios work ok with the open/trail/lock settings on the Nude?

Truly worth every penny. I love it.

It's only 2 positions. For the usual open/locked position on air shock.
I believe "Nude" is the proprietary way of talking about the 3 modes tune for scott?
The pull is right. If you don't mind losing the completely locked rear suspension feature, It's a really great improvement over the stock 3 buttons.

To make it even more comfortable for my left hand, I've left a longer section of foam grip to put the twistloc (hard rubber) furter away from my hand. Cockpit might seem a bit asymmetrical but really both brake levers are at equal position.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
ant01ne wrote:

Pros :
- Very stable/confidence inspiring at speed and down steeps (1250wb 64.5Ha how could it be different?)

Cons :

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
Hello friend, please, is it possible that the Yari RC Scoot Ransom 930 2020 can be expanded to 3 modes and still use the twinlock system? Thanks your attention

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 23:34 Quote
I would not go as far as removing the cable to the fork entirely.
But I would like to adjust the lockout so the fork is locked only at the 3rd position.

Is this possible?

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
Hi - I've also got a Twistloc I'm using just for a front fork lockout.

In the Twistloc package, there is a barrel adjuster....I am wondering if this is useful for a rear shock lockout?

I could not find anything in the install manual or online. Pretty sure I do not need it for my application, but was curious why the part was included.

Thoughts?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007676
Mobile Version of Website