Mtn bike frame

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
I’ve been mtn biking around Socal for several years now with a low-end bike and decided it would be fun and possibly cost-effective to try and buy a frame and build a bike after being emboldened by watching several DIY videos on the internet. I’m OK with my hands, have the space and have some tools. Can anyone tell me if this idea is a) Foolhardy and would be a require lots of time and know-how, and b) cost-efficient?

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
Not really cost effective to part together a bike unless they are used parts. If you have no experience working on bikes, building your first one from the frame up isn’t the place to start. Also quite a few specialized tools that would be needed.
Buy a new or used bike and maintain it for a season by yourself to get some experience.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:54 Quote
Thanks for the input/advice! Very helpful to me.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
You are going to need some tools but it isn't that hard to build one up. Cost effective no. Fun yeah.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
It's actually more cost efficient to buy a bike (on sale if possible), change what you want and sell the parts (as new if possible). This way you can achieve precisely the build you are looking for for a reasonable price.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
djergler wrote:
I’ve been mtn biking around Socal for several years now with a low-end bike and decided it would be fun and possibly cost-effective to try and buy a frame and build a bike after being emboldened by watching several DIY videos on the internet. I’m OK with my hands, have the space and have some tools. Can anyone tell me if this idea is a) Foolhardy and would be a require lots of time and know-how, and b) cost-efficient?
a) yes, more than it looks on first sight. Also some bike specific tools is needed.
b) no, its much more cost-efficent to buy complete bike. You can later maintain your bike yourself and practice skills there :-)

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
I build my own bikes from frame sets and source 2nd hand parts mostly,
there are bargains to be had but you gotta know what your looking for,
and be tuned into compatability and sizing, otherwise the mistakes can get costly.

Also with 2nd hand parts, internals on forks, hydraulic brakes especially can
be costly as new seals, pistons, brake connectors usualy have to be replaced.

Generally its not cost effective, but it does give you a bike to your exacting
taste and preference, aswell as being a complete one off custom,
you will also learn hell of a lot about bikes and there many coponents,
avoiding sizing mistakes and compatability will be your challenge as well as cost.

It can take me upto a year to finsh a project bike build from scratch, consentrating
on the frame, strip paint, re paint frame, chase & face BB, then build out from there
with sourcing BB, head set, seat clamp and so on. Sourcing and re searching parts
can take a while, but then its a patient therapeutic hobby ( with the exception of retarded
ebay sellers who are clueless to the bike parts they are selling )
with the greatest reward at the end of it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006314
Mobile Version of Website