Street/dirt bike for a tall guy ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Street/dirt bike for a tall guy ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
I'm 195 cm (6'5) tall and haven't been riding for a few years now. Wanna get back into it.
I had NS metropolis for the last 10 years, but its just too small for me now, and I dont feel "safe" riding it, if that makes sense.
Id like a bike that I can ride anywhere but mostly just jumping on off things in the streets. I was terrible at doing tricks. lol
Any suggestions on which bikes I should look out for ? I always liked NS, maybe specialized or something ? I just dont know which specs to look for, and there are so many options.
Thanks

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 22:42 Quote
Metropolis has one of the longest TT around. If youre looking for size or a feeling of something bulkier then you'll have to go aluminum... but alloy frames feel crap- especially around the street. Nothing beats steel

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
buha wrote:
. . . .
Id like a bike that I can ride anywhere but mostly just jumping on off things in the streets. I was terrible at doing tricks.

You might consider a freeride hardtail. I picked up an NS Surge Evo a few years ago.

https://nsbikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html

In this photo, it has a 130mm travel fork, rather than the typical 80 or 100mm on a dirt jumper. The Large also has a
] like a 432mm (17" inch) seat tube, so it's several inches taller than a DJ frame are like 305-330mm or so (12"-13"). You can still get the seat low enough to jump.

There's also the NS CLASH.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/s?q=ns&cat=direct

photo

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 7:11 Quote
Black Market has some large dirtjump frames. Or you could go custom if you know which geometry you need. Marinobike in Peru can weld and paint a custom steel frame for around 250~400 USD + shipping. People seem to be pretty happy with their frames.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 0:44 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
buha wrote:
. . . .
Id like a bike that I can ride anywhere but mostly just jumping on off things in the streets. I was terrible at doing tricks.

You might consider a freeride hardtail. I picked up an NS Surge Evo a few years ago.

https://nsbikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html

In this photo, it has a 130mm travel fork, rather than the typical 80 or 100mm on a dirt jumper. The Large also has a
] like a 432mm (17" inch) seat tube, so it's several inches taller than a DJ frame are like 305-330mm or so (12"-13"). You can still get the seat low enough to jump.

There's also the NS CLASH.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/s?q=ns&cat=direct

photo

I might just do that. How is riding the ns evo ? can you still bunny hop with it, since the frame is a lil bit higher ?
And NS clash looks beast man, I just wish I had the opportunity to test drive the bikes or something before ordering, but I live in croatia where they don't even sell the new ones from ns. lul

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 1:15 Quote
The largest size NS Surge Evo isn't much larger (409mm reach, 613mm stack) than your Metropolis. With your height probably need at least 45 cm reach, which is a problem because most dirtjump bikes are one size only.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 6:10 Quote
How about a Standard http://standardbyke.com/

They do custom orders.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
buha wrote:

I might just do that. How is riding the ns evo ? can you still bunny hop with it, since the frame is a lil bit higher ?
And NS clash looks beast man, I just wish I had the opportunity to test drive the bikes or something before ordering, but I live in croatia where they don't even sell the new ones from ns. lul

I'm 6'1" and yes, I can definitely still bunnyhop the NS Surge Evo (Large). Mine was the 2016. Not sure if the geo has changed. https://nsbikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html but looks like it hasn't. The only thing I did not like about the NS Surge Evo is that if you're going to run it single speed, the "sliding dropout" thing is not that great. I would have preferred regular horizontal dropouts, bmx or DJ style. Or, do a tensioner arm like with a traditional single speed conversion. Pulling the dropouts back, then re-tightening those small Allen-cap screws just doesn't feel right. It feels like you're going to strip the threading.

What bike brands to you get easily in Croatia?

buha wrote:
I'm 195 cm (6'5) tall and haven't been riding for a few years now. Wanna get back into it.
I had NS metropolis for the last 10 years, but its just too small for me now, and I dont feel "safe" riding it, if that makes sense.

And when you said your NS Metropolis is too small, in what sense does it feel small. Handlebars too low? Seat too low? Knees too close to hitting the stem/bars?

Are you still trying to do bmx-style street tricks like 180's, 360's, tailwhips etc. The longer a frame gets, the harder those become. But, if you're just straight jumping, you could a significantly bigger bike than a Metropolis.

I don't know how tall Martin Soderstrom is maybe 6'2"-6'4"? You can see how his setup looks low. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKzfhS1M8A

VIDEO: LEDERBROSEN – DANNY MACASKILL AND MARTIN SÖDERSTRÖM DO GERMANY
https://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/danny-macaskill-martin-soderstrom-video-lederbrosen/

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 1:01 Quote
buha wrote:
Id like a bike that I can ride anywhere but mostly just jumping on off things in the streets. I was terrible at doing tricks. lol
Any suggestions on which bikes I should look out for ? I always liked NS, maybe specialized or something ? I just dont know which specs to look for, and there are so many options.
Thanks
I know a few frame which could fit your height very good.

First one is Dartmoor two6player L size (425 reach) I am 193cm tall 6ft4 and i ride it with 50mm stem/ns district bar for about 6 7 months, feels way better that my old ns majesty frame (400mm reach) i managed to learn some barspin combos and other tricks

Second option if you want to more than sure you can go with the new Commencal Absolute frame, almost the same geo as two6player but with 440 reach, i am 100% sure it will be perfect for you. And you can go even bigger with longer stems and bars
I'm a little angry that new commencal frame didn't exist when i was wondering which frame to buy,

also i think it doesn't really matter if the frame is alloy or steel, the new alloy frames are strong enough for street in my opinion
And sorry for my english it's not very good

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
[Quote="cmc4130"]
buha wrote:

buha wrote:

And when you said your NS Metropolis is too small, in what sense does it feel small. Handlebars too low? Seat too low? Knees too close to hitting the stem/bars?

Are you still trying to do bmx-style street tricks like 180's, 360's, tailwhips etc. The longer a frame gets, the harder those become. But, if you're just straight jumping, you could a significantly bigger bike than a Metropolis.

I don't know how tall Martin Soderstrom is maybe 6'2"-6'4"? You can see how his setup looks low. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKzfhS1M8A

VIDEO: LEDERBROSEN – DANNY MACASKILL AND MARTIN SÖDERSTRÖM DO GERMANY
https://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/danny-macaskill-martin-soderstrom-video-lederbrosen/

All 3 of those, handlebars too low, seat was way too low and my knees almost hit the bars, it had like couple of cm room.
About the tricks yeah I figured, I always wanted to do those tricks but I'm really bad at it, tried it for years and I literally couldn't do it, it's like I had some mental block in me after breaking my collar bone. So I think I will just go with a bigger frame this time so I can ride the bike anywhere, metropolis was only for short distances. And thanks for the links, I'll check em out.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Duncon-er wrote:
buha wrote:
Thanks
I know a few frame which could fit your height very good.

First one is Dartmoor two6player L size (425 reach) I am 193cm tall 6ft4 and i ride it with 50mm stem/ns district bar for about 6 7 months, feels way better that my old ns majesty frame (400mm reach) i managed to learn some barspin combos and other tricks

Second option if you want to more than sure you can go with the new Commencal Absolute frame, almost the same geo as two6player but with 440 reach, i am 100% sure it will be perfect for you. And you can go even bigger with longer stems and bars
I'm a little angry that new commencal frame didn't exist when i was wondering which frame to buy,

also i think it doesn't really matter if the frame is alloy or steel, the new alloy frames are strong enough for street in my opinion
And sorry for my english it's not very good

Thanks dude, never heard of those bikes and those frames look sick! I'll definitely put them into consideration!

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
I second the Commencal Absolut, picked up a '19 and I'm 6'4" and it fits great!

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
buha wrote:
Thanks

Im 6’5 too and just started to look for a DJ. I saw that yt had a long version for this year but its Out of stock sadly. Only thing i dont like about the commencal is the looks.. The font and colorway looks very cheap in my opinion. But who cares about the aestethics after a ride or two ????

Is there any other complete bikes in those sizes?

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
Have you tried taller bars?

Changed my world and im not quite 6'
My Ordnance Street with 7.5 bars.. feels and rides great..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012155
Mobile Version of Website