My Experience with Fox Proframe - I don't suggest this helmet for downhill racing

PB Forum :: Downhill
My Experience with Fox Proframe - I don't suggest this helmet for downhill racing
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 22:27 Quote
I just want to share my experience I had with this helmet. Based on what I experienced I will never ever trust another lightweight breathable Full Face helmet.

I bought the Fox Proframe little bit more then a year ago. The reason I bought it was, because Fox stated it's downhill certified and lots of air vents to keep your head cool. Which is a plus living on the equator with temperatures being constantly 34 degree Celsius (93.2 fahrenheit).

Anyways to the point.

I was practicing some jumps at my local trails. There is a track that is all about jumps (I had a downhill race coming up in 3 weeks).
After roughly 20 times doing the same jump (which is a blind jump). When I did the jump I notice that there is a hiker in the middle of my landing zone. I shouted OUT OF THE WAY, but the old lady only tuned around.
When I landed I hit my brakes full, jammed them and that made me to go OTB.
I ended up with a broken Fox Proframe (shell cracked), bruised my forehead, and broke my collarbone.
From my feeling it didn't went that hard, yet the helmet already cracked and I had a bruise on my forehead while wearing it.

Luckily I did wear a helmet, cannot imagine what happened without one. But I don't wanna think of what would happen if I would wear a Fox Proframe and do a big jump, or would accidentally fly into a tree. I am sure you will end up with a bad bad concussion or maybe even worse.

After my experience, I have lost all faith in the lightweight breathable helmets.
No more Fox Proframe, TLD Stage, IXS Trigger FF.
Cannot expect a super lightweight helmet, with almost no padding inside and gives you the same safety as a normal FF helmet.

I am waiting till I am recovered, but already got a decent helmet now:
Fox RPC Beast (Silver), 2019.

Just my share. I ain't telling anyone not to buy whatever they wanna buy, just be a bit more aware.

Have a nice day.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
If your crash resulted in a broken collarbone but no broken head or even a concussion it sounds like it did its job pretty darn well! But I totally get you, you could get something like a Fox Rampage for a lot cheaper and it somehow just feels safer. Stay safe out there

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
I crashed and my helmet protected me - 2/10 wouldn't buy again

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 5:34 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
I crashed and my helmet protected me - 2/10 wouldn't buy again

Yup!

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 20:11 Quote
The helmet did it's job don't get me wrong.
But I doubt this helmet gives enough protection during downhill racing.

That is why I upgraded to a higher class helmet now.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
The proframe isn't a confidence inspiring helmet, but sure, it can save you in a crash.

Definitely better options out there if you're going big and fast

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007494
Mobile Version of Website