Storing brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Storing brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
Hi guys,
Quick question I have my old downhill bike and the rear brake was a new guide brake I used once. I wrecked and tore a small hole in the line up by the lever. The brake still kinda works but is really bad. The bike is super old so instead of fixing everything on the bike ( other stuff is worn and broke) I’m gonna buy a new one but I would like to keep the brakes on it for later Incase I need them. How should I store the rear brake? It is has a bunch of air from the hole will that hurt the internals? I can’t find anything on this and would like to know. Maybe I should replace the hose and re bleed and put on the shelf?
Thanks

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
I would just pull it off the bike, cut the line and drain the fluid then store in a ziplock bag or something. If you leave it on the bike it will potentially leak and cause other issues. I would t repair it unless you plan on using it again or selling it, or want it as a backup.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
Thank you. Sorry I’m a tad confused by your last statement. I do plan on using it for maybe another bike build someday. But nothing in the near future like it would sit on the shelf for maybe a year. So you think cut the line and drain it. Anything special to clean out the inside? Or just take the master cylinder cap off and dump out and dump out the line?
Thanks

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 13:56 Quote
Just cut all of the hose off since it’s damaged, will be easier to store that way. That’s should be all that’s needed. When you decide to use it later, fit a new hose and bleed and you are ready to go.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
Awesome man thanks will do

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006453
Mobile Version of Website