Another "help me choose a bike" thread.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Another "help me choose a bike" thread.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
I'm looking for a new bike, more specifically a long travel 29'er. Not because it's trendy right now, but because for someone like me it seems like the ideal type of bike. I'm 6ft 5in and 240lbs all storm troopered up. I'm not a racer (at least not anymore), but would consider myself to be a fairly aggressive rider. I've raced downhill in the past and cross country before that. I would like to find a bike that, obviously, does everything very well but am more focused on the downhill aspect. A mini DH bike that can tolerably be pedaled up the hill and wouldn't be out of line to ride it on all day adventures occasionally. So my list so far is
- 2020 specialized enduro elite. Which lbs told me wouldn't be available until late February.
- 2020 Pivot firebird 29 race XT
- 2020 santa Cruz megatower c s
- 2020 YT capra CF pro
Now looking at reviews I've been able to find on each, the specialized seems to be my first choice. The only thing that turns me off about it is the spec isn't my preferred one of the bunch. But, either way I'll be changing parts as I go. The pivot seems to be spect very well in my opinion. No complaints there. The reviews I've seen on the megatower tend to suggest that it struggles a bit on square edge hits, but also may not be as noticeable under heavier riders such as myself. The YT spec is somewhat similar to the specialized, but also $1000 cheaper and reviews on it seem pretty good. Also, I'm not limiting my choices to only these bikes. I'm open to suggestions, hence why I'm posting. My main objective here it to find something with at least 500mm reach, at least 160mm travel and fairly "modern " geometry. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
Those are all solid choices. Worth noting the Pivot uses a different width axle spacing than the others. The new Enduro and Mega look like the same bike. Both really well made and solid though. Your money goes the farthest with YT. The Capra is pretty much a mini dh bike. Your on your own if you have issues with YT customee service. I might ad you look at the Transition Sentinal.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 15:40 Quote
I’ve ridden the pivot, the specialized, and the sc, and i’m taking the firebird every time. Pedals ridiculously well for how big it is, super stiff, rides great.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
I think you pretty much covered all major options, at this point I would say due to your large frame, Pole or Geometron might serve you good, for they have chainstays suitable for each size not like others. Also I could throw in the Guerilla Gravity Smash just for my personal taste.

Firebird has ridiculous short chainstays for strange reason of wheelie. And actual seattube angle is pretty slack, for your size you could be sitting on the rear axle peddling.
Previous years of capra 29 had issue of being too progressive, think it was 80%? So there were some complaints for it being harsh and couldn't use all the travel. Not sure about this year.
I would go for the enduro just for the suspension feel of it. But don't think you could go wrong between enduro and megatower. Again, base on your size, you could use the xl chainstays some brands offer.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 22:03 Quote
You might consider the Rocky mountain slayer and Scott ransom. Also nuke proof has the new mega 29er coming out soon it seems.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
I’m 6’3.5” and did a YT demo last weekend. The Capra 29 CF Pro Race was an awesome bike for dh oriented riding, I was at a downhill bike park. Stable enough for the jump lines, burly enough for the janky steep stuff and still agile and poppy. Only complaint is that it does take a bit to setup right.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
Thanks for the feedback. If money was no problem, a nicolai would have been my first choice. But I looked at all the options and decided to pull the trigger on the YT capra.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 4:02 Quote
Hey good for you man. Enjoy!

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
jason475 wrote:
Hey good for you man. Enjoy!
Hey thanks. I actually called them and they answered the phone within two or three minutes. Whoever I talked to seemed really helpful and told me to call with any questions or concerns I may have. And I'll have my bike within 5 days. Looks like I got the last magnesium white/black XXL. But, overall I don't see any issues with dealing with YT support at this point in time.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009396
Mobile Version of Website