Lyrik or Pike on a Bronson V2?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Lyrik or Pike on a Bronson V2?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 4:07 Quote
Looking for a bit of advice for fork choice - building up a pre-loved Bronson CC V2 into my dream mountain slayer and not sure about fork choice. I'm 75kg, ride almost everything (except big jumps/drops), but not particularly hard on components and don't tend to break stuff much (myself or bike). Currently ride a 140mm Remedy 7 with Revelations.

I want initial floating smoothness and a bottomless feel - options are Lyrik (2020 160mm/RC/debonair/boost) or Pike (2019 160mm/RC2/debonair/boost)

Is the extra weight of the Lyrik worth it for the stiffness? And is the Pike's RC2 damper better than the Lyrik's RC damper in terms of initial smoothness?

Should I be looking at anything else in the £600-800 price bracket?

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
DVO Diamond. Worlds above more smooth and supple than any other fork I’ve tried, and extremely tunable. A little heavier, but the performance more than makes up for it.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
Does the MY19 Pike have the new Charger 2? Either way, if it's the same Charger 2 damper, the difference is in the adjustment (low+high speed compression adjustments, rather than just a high speed), which will matter to some people and not others. The extra beefiness of the Lyrik is nice when you get to the 160mm travel area, for sure. I'd vote for the Lyrik.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
Thanks will look at DVO.

Does the damper hold the negative chamber? I read the Lyrik has a larger negative spring to get the fork going.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
leelovesbikestoo wrote:
Thanks will look at DVO.

Does the damper hold the negative chamber? I read the Lyrik has a larger negative spring to get the fork going.

The DVO forks all have a coil negative spring, which you can adjust to tune your feel. It's all housed in an air cartridge, which you can remove for servicing without losing your settings. Super convenient.

I have mine cranked almost all the way up and it feels 99% like a coil. Air negative chambers just don't compare, unless they're independently adjustable like the RockShox Dual Air system of yore.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
My vote would be for the new Pike. I have been riding a 36 on the front of my Smuggler for a while now and just recently replaced it with a new Pike ultimate. For me the Pike is worlds better. It feels much more supple on the small stuff and still ramps up nicely at the end stroke. I didn't even consider a Lyrik because I think it and the 36 are overkill for my style of riding. For a "trail bike" I think the Pike is the best fork on the market. Stiff(enough for me at 185lbs), supple and light. I am a bit biased about Rockshox though and the 36 is only the second Fox fork I have ever ridden, while I have tons of time on the Pike platform. I gave the 36 a year long audition and still came away unimpressed. Go for the Pike and enjoy the smooth ride and light-ish front end.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
eicca wrote:
Air negative chambers just don't compare, unless they're independently adjustable like the RockShox Dual Air system of yore.

Ah, I had Dual Air on some old Rebas - great adjustability. A friend has the new Lyrik and was puzzled when I was explaining about the second valve for negative. How do you get air into the negative on newer RS forks then?

garrisond5 wrote:
Go for the Pike and enjoy the smooth ride and light-ish front end.

I think if I want it light, supple and stiff I'm just going to have to shell out for this years or next years fork. Was hoping I wasn't going to have to spend best part of £1k on a forking fork...

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
I just bought a bike with Charger 2 lyrik and gotta say its awful. If someone is very light or slow this fork would be ok, but it majorly lacks high speed comp support.

Have to jack the air pressure way up to ride it hard without clanging. I have RC version, which Im sure is the worst, but I hear they all have really soft damping.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007047
Mobile Version of Website