Torn, make my Hightower more like the LT, or make my LT more pedal efficient like the HT.

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Torn, make my Hightower more like the LT, or make my LT more pedal efficient like the HT.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
Trying to determine a direction as I may end up selling one of my bikes. The LT feels so great on anything down, but lacks just a bit on anything pedaling, which we have a lot of. I have spoken to Fox and SC to get their input/opinion on what changing the shock to either an X2 or DPX2 will do for me. Basically, trying to figure out if it would be easier to make the HT a little more comfortable on the fast choppy downhill stuff, without losing too much pedaling efficiency, or make the LT more pedal efficient. SC seems to lean toward the HT based on what I ride, how I ride, and consider the X2 from the standpoint of shear adjust-ability.

Would like some input from you guys that have had/used/use a DPX2 or X2 on these bikes and how they compare to the DPS. It's an expensive experiment if I don't get it right, or get the result I want.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
Hmm, I expected some insight. No one has an opinion or experience with either bikes or shock set up?

Come on, I know someone does. : )

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
The DPX2 made the downhill traction on a HT so much better. Rear tire stays planted on high speeds.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 8:45 Quote
Good to hear. Was it the added adjustability that helped with that?

Can anyone speak to the pedaling efficiency from dps to dpx2 on the HTLT?

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
Sent you a PM dude....

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 17:19 Quote
Got a chance to test ride a change this eve. After speaking with Church today, decided to do some checking of what I have with my shocks as far as volume reducers and do some free testing.

The HT came with a .6 yellow spacer, the LT, none. This explains a lot of what I was feeling. So, prior to buying the spacer kit, I pulled the spacer out of the HT and rode it on a local trail that had a couple sections I can test on. I was pleased with the results. Seemed to have not lost much in pedal efficiency, but also feel it probably needs a spacer of some size, which I will get to. Really smoothed out the rear end of the bike.

Next, I will test the LT with the .6 spacer I have. Church suggested a .4 spacer, but since I have the .6, will test that for now.

Once I get thru that, I will put the 150 Fox on the HT and test that set up. I will also order the spacer kit and get to testing up from 0 till I feel I went too far and back off. Still would like to try a DPX2 and will likely pick one up at some point. I have to decide on which bike it will go on first though. The change I made today gave me promise for the HT because I want to like it, but dang the LT just works so well other than the pedaling difference.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
Stock specs for a rear shock on 2018 Hightower (non-LT),
• 200mm eye-to-eye
• 51mm Stroke
• 22mm wide bushings

Anybody with experience dropping in a 57mm Stroke rear shock? Will run a 2.3" tire, so tire buzz is not be a problem. Dont care about warentee voids. Just curious on the longer travel on this geometry,.

Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 8:44 Quote
Got to ride the LT on a more technical, rooty and rocky trail. Definitely noticed a difference with the spacer. Became firmer over small bump, and still sucked up the downhills like nothing. It is hard to tell how, if at all, the spacer helped with pedaling as this bike has a heavier set up, with heavier tires and wheels, and with less engagement.

I ended up picking up a DPX2 for the LT and will be testing it next week.

Today, I rode the HT with the 150 fork from my LT. Definitely helped that bike. Rear is not quite as confidence inspiring as the LT, but they are getting closer. Depending on how the DPX2 performs on the LT, that may be what I put on the Hightower. I really prefer to stick with that bike, for several reason, some nothing to do with how it rides. Haha

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
cirKus wrote:
Stock specs for a rear shock on 2018 Hightower (non-LT),
• 200mm eye-to-eye
• 51mm Stroke
• 22mm wide bushings

Anybody with experience dropping in a 57mm Stroke rear shock? Will run a 2.3" tire, so tire buzz is not be a problem. Dont care about warentee voids. Just curious on the longer travel on this geometry,.
my HT has 160mm forks,offset bushings and the ccdb has been long shocked to 54mm stroke(145mm rear travel,no tyre buzz)this is longer and slacker than the LT,whilst maintaining BB height.Not rode the LT,but can't imagine it being any different except 5mm rear travel differance.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007720
Mobile Version of Website