Used bike prices. I'm I missing something?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Used bike prices. I'm I missing something?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 23:12 Quote
I've been riding about a year now on my hardtail and want to step up to a full sus, often finding myself on the classified of this site. I'm I the only one missing something? I really don't understand the pricing on MTBs. You can easily buy a new 2019/2020 model for around 2K... Canyon, Whyte, commencal, Trek, YT, so a brand new bike with warranty and assurance it's not abused and such, yet you often see used bikes, even (even 3-4 years old, often previous models with people asking only say a £500 saving on what a new model would cost. I'm a missing something? These items surly must depreciate like everything else, older parts, not up to date geometry and especially as they will no longer be in warrenty and often get knocks and wear?? I'm I the only one missing something??

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
PJwebbs wrote:
I've been riding about a year now on my hardtail and want to step up to a full sus, often finding myself on the classified of this site. I'm I the only one missing something? I really don't understand the pricing on MTBs. You can easily buy a new 2019/2020 model for around 2K... Canyon, Whyte, commencal, Trek, YT, so a brand new bike with warranty and assurance it's not abused and such, yet you often see used bikes, even (even 3-4 years old, often previous models with people asking only say a £500 saving on what a new model would cost. I'm a missing something? These items surly must depreciate like everything else, older parts, not up to date geometry and especially as they will no longer be in warrenty and often get knocks and wear?? I'm I the only one missing something??

A lot of people will have a high list price but will be happy to haggle (starting high to end up somewhere lower), also many of these used bikes will have had upgrade parts which are often expensive and sellers will want to get as much out of their bikes as they can keeping these upgrades in mid. For example I bought a Kona process 153, and had to buy new wheels relatively soon because even though the spec looks nice at first, wheels are often overlooked and are an expensive upgrade, what im trying to say is that used bikes will have replaced all the cheap, dodgy parts already and all the parts that didn't stand up to the riding will have been upgraded, unless the bike is broken or your getting ripped off. I personally would buy used as within a few months your new bike will be un the same condition as a slightly used bike that was cheaper than retail.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
I think you need to look at the components very carefully. That's where a lot of the value is. I've talked to a lot of people who can't comprehend why a bike can cost thousands of $, when their $600 bike seems to do the same thing. The same people, when they rent a more expensive bike, will admit that it rides like a dream.

If you're buying used you should do a lot of research and try to figure out how much those components are worth. And like the previous poster mentioned, there's usually room for some haggling.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006887
Mobile Version of Website