Used bike prices. I'm I missing something?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Used bike prices. I'm I missing something?
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 23:12 Quote
I've been riding about a year now on my hardtail and want to step up to a full sus, often finding myself on the classified of this site. I'm I the only one missing something? I really don't understand the pricing on MTBs. You can easily buy a new 2019/2020 model for around 2K... Canyon, Whyte, commencal, Trek, YT, so a brand new bike with warranty and assurance it's not abused and such, yet you often see used bikes, even (even 3-4 years old, often previous models with people asking only say a £500 saving on what a new model would cost. I'm a missing something? These items surly must depreciate like everything else, older parts, not up to date geometry and especially as they will no longer be in warrenty and often get knocks and wear?? I'm I the only one missing something??

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
PJwebbs wrote:
I've been riding about a year now on my hardtail and want to step up to a full sus, often finding myself on the classified of this site. I'm I the only one missing something? I really don't understand the pricing on MTBs. You can easily buy a new 2019/2020 model for around 2K... Canyon, Whyte, commencal, Trek, YT, so a brand new bike with warranty and assurance it's not abused and such, yet you often see used bikes, even (even 3-4 years old, often previous models with people asking only say a £500 saving on what a new model would cost. I'm a missing something? These items surly must depreciate like everything else, older parts, not up to date geometry and especially as they will no longer be in warrenty and often get knocks and wear?? I'm I the only one missing something??

A lot of people will have a high list price but will be happy to haggle (starting high to end up somewhere lower), also many of these used bikes will have had upgrade parts which are often expensive and sellers will want to get as much out of their bikes as they can keeping these upgrades in mid. For example I bought a Kona process 153, and had to buy new wheels relatively soon because even though the spec looks nice at first, wheels are often overlooked and are an expensive upgrade, what im trying to say is that used bikes will have replaced all the cheap, dodgy parts already and all the parts that didn't stand up to the riding will have been upgraded, unless the bike is broken or your getting ripped off. I personally would buy used as within a few months your new bike will be un the same condition as a slightly used bike that was cheaper than retail.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
I think you need to look at the components very carefully. That's where a lot of the value is. I've talked to a lot of people who can't comprehend why a bike can cost thousands of $, when their $600 bike seems to do the same thing. The same people, when they rent a more expensive bike, will admit that it rides like a dream.

If you're buying used you should do a lot of research and try to figure out how much those components are worth. And like the previous poster mentioned, there's usually room for some haggling.

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
A top of the line bike will look very similar to the untrained eye. You can very easily buy a new f/s bike for $2,000. If you are new to the sport and ride the same tame trails and you aren’t looking to race or star in any action videos these bikes are fine for you.

These bikes will be comparatively heavier and or weaker with less sophisticated suspension designs that either bob up and down more or don’t soak up the terrain like the best stuff.

For example my bike is virtually all carbon fiber, with over 6” travel from a top design, and 27lbs. It works great for rough cross country trails and also for full on downhill runs with jumps, etc.

Another example is you can buy a cheap guitar at a toy store or Walmart, and it will look like a real guitar, but it would hold you back if you want to play in a band.

You can buy sneakers at Payless, but would you run a marathon in them?

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 2:21 Quote
Im really baffled how people sell 2 year old bike for like 200 quid cheaper than a new one. Im a poor ass lad trying to find something for myself coming from HT and its really difficult when people are so unrealistic with prices. Everyone is saying “buy used for best bang for your buck” but in reality its nothing like that. Ive been searching since October for a new used bike and so far nothing. Sometimes new ones on sale are literally cheaper than used ones here, same models sane soecs.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
UrbyStarry wrote:
Im really baffled how people sell 2 year old bike for like 200 quid cheaper than a new one. Im a poor ass lad trying to find something for myself coming from HT and its really difficult when people are so unrealistic with prices. Everyone is saying “buy used for best bang for your buck” but in reality its nothing like that. Ive been searching since October for a new used bike and so far nothing. Sometimes new ones on sale are literally cheaper than used ones here, same models sane soecs.
Then why buy used?
Go buy a new bike from a shop so you’ll get the warranty and service and you’ll know all the bike’s history. Sometimes you’ll find new prior year bikes at greatly discounted prices.
Get a loan if it the bike is more money than you have. Trade in your old bike if you are able.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
timparker wrote:
UrbyStarry wrote:
Then why buy used?
Go buy a new bike from a shop so you’ll get the warranty and service and you’ll know all the bike’s history. Sometimes you’ll find new prior year bikes at greatly discounted prices.
Get a loan if it the bike is more money than you have. Trade in your old bike if you are able.
I cant afford a new enduro or these overpriced used ones.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
UrbyStarry wrote:
timparker wrote:
UrbyStarry wrote:
Then why buy used?

If you really want to ride, you can get a bike. I barely make more than minimum wage but have a garage full of really really nice bikes, most carbon. Learn to work on bikes, shop for bargains that need work, build your own bike. Sell that bike and upgrade.
I am poor as hell but made it happen. Check my profile and seller history to see that I keep upgrading.

You gotta ride!

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 0:45 Quote
timparker wrote:
UrbyStarry wrote:
timparker wrote:

Then why buy used?

If you really want to ride, you can get a bike. I barely make more than minimum wage but have a garage full of really really nice bikes, most carbon. Learn to work on bikes, shop for bargains that need work, build your own bike. Sell that bike and upgrade.
I am poor as hell but made it happen. Check my profile and seller history to see that I keep upgrading.

You gotta ride!
Really happy for you mate but I have to pay rent, bills, medicine that i need, kids expenses and I left with 50 or so quid to spend at the end of the month. And that is with being really careful about spending money and maybe 1 or max 2 outside meals per month.
Not a chance in hell I could afford a carbon bike let alone a few of them haha.
Thats why Ive been riding my HT hard for years Smile

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
Prices for bicycles are different. It's like cars. The price has its justification. The difference between bikes for 100 and 500 or more is significant. It's a different function, a quality manufacturer. It is clear that many want to get the use of the coolest bike and at the same time pay the minimum. But I'm not a proponent of loans in general. So your bike will cost even more. You can calculate your expenses and see where you can save. According to statistics, the most key expenses are food, accommodation and transportation. Now there are a lot of recommendations on how to save. You can study How to Save Money on Housing https://debtquest.com/living-on-30k-a-year/. Housing and maintenance costs are a big expense in every family. Saved money will help you buy the bike of your dreams

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
I spent $2500 on my YT but added DPX2, 1x12 eagle, Wolftooth lever, DMR Stem, DMR saddle, DMR Grips, Upgraded tires, Will be getting a new wheel set. And it is well maintained... so I would sell it closer to retail (minus tax and shipping I paid).

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
UrbyStarry wrote:
timparker wrote:
UrbyStarry wrote:

You gotta ride!
Really happy for you mate but I have to pay rent, bills, medicine that i need, kids expenses and I left with 50 or so quid to spend at the end of the month. And that is with being really careful about spending money and maybe 1 or max 2 outside meals per month.
Not a chance in hell I could afford a carbon bike let alone a few of them haha.
Thats why Ive been riding my HT hard for years Smile

I took a loan to pay my bike cause I live in a expensive area with a family and have lots of bills.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 11:38 Quote
I bought a used Ventana 29” Full suspension from a pawn shop for $300. Cleaned, repaired, and updated it, then sold for $800. Bought a used Specialized Camber for $460 Cleaned, repaired, and updated it then sold for $1,300. Bought a used Giant Reign Advanced Carbon for $1,200, Cleaned, repaired, and updated it then sold for $2,400. Bought a used Devinci Spartan carbon for $1,750, Cleaned, repaired, and updated it then sold for $3,000.

A few other bikes and built up frames along the way.

Now riding a all carbon Pivot Mach 6 that I bought initially for $1,900 then upgraded and used the take off parts for bikes I sold.

A lot of work, but it’s fun and I have made many new friends along the way

Be sure to use the stolen bike registry first before buying any used bike.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
Another big thing for the used market is have set parameters, brand, max $$, etc ,and patience. I literally looked at Pinkbike buy and sell every night or 2 for a couple months before riding season. I got exactly what I wanted, with upgrades, for under my budget.
Lots of people want more than their stuff is worth, fair enough, it's theirs, but be patient and you'll find what you're looking for.
Cheers.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
And often there is bargaining room in left in the asking price.

My Pivot Mach 6 carbon will be up for sale shortly. It’s virtually all carbon and would retail for close to $10,000 but I shouldn’t expect to get much more than $3,000 for it.

Sellers can ask for a lot, but if they want to get their asking price they should expect to show “value” of their bike, as well as a well written ad with many, many great photos. And should always be honest about any damage to the bike.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005355
Mobile Version of Website