Sram guide brakes

• Next Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 18:31 Quote
Telebump wrote:
Elemieux wrote:
I know these are a lower end braking system.

But they came on my new devinci, don't have money to replace yet. How can I make these more efficient and have stronger stopping power?

Swap out original pads? I find strange wear patterns on the pads I currently have after roughly 30 hrs of riding.

Any recommendations?

Some thoughts: 1) Which Guides do you have? 2) Check/bleed your brakes personally if you haven't done so already. Guides are a maintenance PITA and require patience to bleed thoroughly (the ones that came on my factory/shop build) were full of air and were damn mushy before I bled them properly). And as others mention Guides are spongy feeling regardless compared to the instant on snap of XT's but you should still have plenty of power; no power is a good sign of air in the system. 3) I think, and I might be wrong, but Guides come with sintered pads, so a pad swap probably won't fix your issue (unless they are worn out). 4) read the post previous to your's titled "SRAM Guide RE calipers matched with Code RSC lever assemblies."

I've got the guide T, they don't come with sintered pads so that'll be my first test. I had them bled the other day. My only issues are when I'm riding downhill. Rear tire doesnt grab great under heavey load.

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 6:09 Quote
Elemieux wrote:
Telebump wrote:
Elemieux wrote:
I know these are a lower end braking system.

But they came on my new devinci, don't have money to replace yet. How can I make these more efficient and have stronger stopping power?

Swap out original pads? I find strange wear patterns on the pads I currently have after roughly 30 hrs of riding.

Any recommendations?

Some thoughts: 1) Which Guides do you have? 2) Check/bleed your brakes personally if you haven't done so already. Guides are a maintenance PITA and require patience to bleed thoroughly (the ones that came on my factory/shop build) were full of air and were damn mushy before I bled them properly). And as others mention Guides are spongy feeling regardless compared to the instant on snap of XT's but you should still have plenty of power; no power is a good sign of air in the system. 3) I think, and I might be wrong, but Guides come with sintered pads, so a pad swap probably won't fix your issue (unless they are worn out). 4) read the post previous to your's titled "SRAM Guide RE calipers matched with Code RSC lever assemblies."

I've got the guide T, they don't come with sintered pads so that'll be my first test. I had them bled the other day. My only issues are when I'm riding downhill. Rear tire doesnt grab great under heavey load.

Any brake issue will happen downhill, thats when brakes really matter Big Grin Like other posts are hinting in previous posts - sell Guide T sponges ASAP and buy proper Guide RE or Codes. You are just loosing time and money in the meantime... Big Grin

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 2:52 Quote
I have a pair of Guide RS on my trail bike. At first they felt underpowered but after fresh bleed, swapping out pads to sintered and swapping rear rotor to 200mm the power has increased significantly. I’ve got a set of Trickstuff break pads I’m going to be trying out soon and I’m hoping that will help even further.

FL
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 21:04 Quote
I just had one of the most pleasant experiences with my SRAM Code brakes. I noticed my braked may be needing a bleed I didn't bleed them because I am racing in a few days. I don't wanna mess shit up before.

But back to the story. I just did a full brake reset. I had my contact adjusters all the way in because they were getting soft.
What I did
1. Pulled pads and wheel off
2. Cleaned pads and disk
3. Lubed the pistons with chain oil so they would go back in ezzzzer
4. Reset the pistons
5. PUT THE SHIT BACK TOGETHER AND CENTERED THE BRAKE AND RESET THE BROUGHT THE PISTONS BACK IN AT THE SAME TIME.
And it worked!!! Just as if not better than a brake bleed for me.
Hope this helps someone who's about to blow it in there workshop with there SRAM brakes.

Please PM me if you want me to make a video explaining how to do it in more detail. P.S. tell me if I should post this in a different forum with more people with this issue may see it.
Thanks -Ethan

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025272
Mobile Version of Website