Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
Anyone spent any time on the new TB yet? I am curious how it compares to the previous generation.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
It’s a completely different bike. To me it’s actually a little odd they even call it a “Tallboy” it’s so different. I’m in no way saying it’s bad it just seems to be built for more aggressive trail riding. I beefed up my TB3 with a 140mm fork and a DPX2 shock to get a little more rowdy and it still pales in comparison to the new TB4.
Personally, where I’m located in Michigan, the TB3 is a better fit as we are pretty flat around here. The TB3 pedals a bit better for XC(ish) stuff. Also, I like the ability to quickly swap the 27.5+ to 29er depending on my plans. Now if I lived somewhere with bigger hits, drops, or DH I’d pick up the new TB4 frame in a heartbeat.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
I had an 18 TB CC. I miss it honestly. lol I have a HTLT that takes care of when I want to get rowdy, but there are days when I want a lighter bike for longer rides, something like my TB3. I bought a HT so my son could ride with me, but he is not, so had me thinking, snap a TB3 before they are gone, or wait and add a TB4 later. I figured it would feel more like a burly trail bike than an XC bike built for trail riding.

Can you speak to specifics as to how they differ in ride, pedal, etc? If it feels like a long travel bike that doesn't, then I may be better off picking up another TB3.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
I’ve just ordered the new tb hand I can’t wait to report back in a few weeks. All the reviews say how good it is. Short travel but with the new vpp linkage and geometry that’s closer to the Hightower than the blur. Can’t wait to get out and ride it

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
Very different kinematics on the current generation of Santa Cruz bikes, compared to the previous. Changes are for the better.

Same story on the geometry.

Previous generation vs. current generation are completely different bikes, with the Tallboy being the most dramatically changed model. This is one of the largest changes between generations I've ever seen in a given model.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
I understand all the tech diff. I was more wondering about real world riding difference, in plain words. But, I decided on a different path, so let the deal I had on a leftover frame pass.

If I sell a bike down the road, I may check out the new TB.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 18:05 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I understand all the tech diff. I was more wondering about real world riding difference, in plain words. But, I decided on a different path, so let the deal I had on a leftover frame pass.

If I sell a bike down the road, I may check out the new TB.

RealWorld...you have to ride it, stay focused, and it kills! Super fun and playful, climbs well, descends well. DH'ers xc bike is pretty damn close.

I rode one in Downieville on the same trails I've ridden quite a few bikes on and I'd say it was closest to my Transition Bandit 29er from 2012 I believe. The bike rips the dh you just have to be more aware that you're on 130mm. If you're shuttling and ridding rocky'er stuff a 140mm up front would most def help you out for any mistakes you might make. My Transition had a 140 up front and it was perfect really.

For daily trail riding 130 will be more than enough IMO, unless you're riding seriously rocky trails where the hits just keep coming one after another...but for small rock gardens or small drops it's gonna be more than enough...the back-end never felt out of sorts or like I was missing 150mm of travel that I have on my HTLT...felt pretty awesome really. That's why I'm selling my HTLT frameset currently. Wink

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try and answer best as possible.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
sounds more like a mini all mtn rig than an xc style bike that can take some trail stuff. Probably should have picked up a TB on closeout. oh well. Thanks for the info.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
Gmoss from KTMTALK??!!

My dealer where I ride said if I wanted to replace my TB2 I'd be best with the new blur compared to the new TB4

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:13 Quote
Schlava wrote:
Gmoss from KTMTALK??!!

My dealer where I ride said if I wanted to replace my TB2 I'd be best with the new blur compared to the new TB4

Haha. Yessir.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:03 Quote
Schlava wrote:

That's correct. The new Blur - standard version, not the TR version - has slightly more capable geometry than the old Tallboy. Very similar. And more downhill-oriented kinematics.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:07 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Schlava wrote:

That's correct. The new Blur - standard version, not the TR version - has slightly more capable geometry than the old Tallboy. Very similar. And more downhill-oriented kinematics.

Exactly...this is not a TB2 or even a TB3...completely redesigned bike.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
lowball wrote:

Yes. As I said above:

R-M-R wrote:
This is one of the largest changes between generations I've ever seen in a given model.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
lowball wrote:

Yes. As I said above:

R-M-R wrote:
This is one of the largest changes between generations I've ever seen in a given model.

yes, this is why I quoted you.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 22:34 Quote
Ah. And then I quoted myself. It's quotes all way down. At least we agree with each other. And I agree with myself, it would seem.

Right, then, enough of that.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012443
Mobile Version of Website