Slash 8 flexy wheels

PB Forum :: Trek
Slash 8 flexy wheels
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 0:40 Quote
Hello all,

I am feeling a bit of flex from the stock Bontrager wheels when leaning with low tyre pressures(tubeless).
I am thinking of replacing just the rims with something stiffer from DT Swiss' EX line.
Have there been similar sentiments/swap, if you know any? Is it worth it?

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 2:24 Quote
1. You specify low tire pressure. Does it not happen at high tire pressure? If it's only at low pressure, the issue is your tires, not the wheels. Use more pressure, stiffer tires, a foam insert that supports the sidewalls, and/or wider rims.
2. If it's the wheels, not the tires, then rims aren't the only solution. Hub flange width, spoke thickness, spoke count, and spoke tension should also be considered. Start by replacing the spokes on the rear drive and front disc sides with straight 2.0 mm spokes.
3. If you want stiff rims, all aluminum rims are pretty similar, compared to most carbon rims. Asian retailers make great products and the prices are reasonable. Try Light Bicycle, Nextie, or Yishun.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 3:39 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
1. You specify low tire pressure. Does it not happen at high tire pressure? If it's only at low pressure, the issue is your tires, not the wheels. Use more pressure, stiffer tires, a foam insert that supports the sidewalls, and/or wider rims.
2. If it's the wheels, not the tires, then rims aren't the only solution. Hub flange width, spoke thickness, spoke count, and spoke tension should also be considered. Start by replacing the spokes on the rear drive and front disc sides with straight 2.0 mm spokes.
3. If you want stiff rims, all aluminum rims are pretty similar, compared to most carbon rims. Asian retailers make great products and the prices are reasonable. Try Light Bicycle, Nextie, or Yishun.

1. low pressures only. seems the tire squirms a bit (DHR 2.4 on 30mm internal width) where I can also feel the rim flex.
2. using the stock Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheels, bike bought in June, about 200km in now. Had spoke tension checked last week, was fine.
3. My other bike's Mavic wheels' rims feel much stronger.

Maybe I need to get used and find an ideal low pressure.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 4:00 Quote
chrysanthos wrote:
1. low pressures only. seems the tire squirms a bit (DHR 2.4 on 30mm internal width) where I can also feel the rim flex.
2. using the stock Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheels, bike bought in June, about 200km in now. Had spoke tension checked last week, was fine.
3. My other bike's Mavic wheels' rims feel much stronger.

Maybe I need to get used and find an ideal low pressure.

If you can feel the flex only at low pressure, when the tire is flexing greatly, but not at high pressure, I don't understand how you believe you can discern wheel flex - which you don't feel with higher tire pressure - from tire flex.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
I've been struggling with an issue similar to this for a bit to. Just recently took ownership of a carbon Trek Fuel that's running Bontrager carbon wheels and minion tires(. I've been running my tires at 30psi, is that considered low? Should I experiment at 35psi?)

Disclaimer: I dont know if I'm feeling the wheels flex, or the tires squirm. I'm assuming it's just the tire. However it's a tough call for me because this is the first FS, carbon frame, carbon wheels and minions I've ridden at length so its 4 new variables to me. I've only ever ridden steel frames. (My other bike is a chromag with flow wheels and nobby nic tires)
I think I'm going to switch the tires out, as I want something faster rolling anyways, and go from there.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
I don't claim the Bontrager wheels to be stiff, only that the original analysis didn't add up. There may also be considerable flex in the wheels.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 0:10 Quote
My other bike has 25mm internal Mavic OEM wheels , and using a DHR tire in the rear too.
Low pressures dont affect the tire, I don't feel any squirm, so I believe it might be due to Bontrager rims' "hook".

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
For what it's worth.. I was in my LBS today (big Trek dealer) and got talking to the mechanic. He told me my issue might not be the wheels. Said they've had fuels that felt 'flexy' because of the tune on the shock, or from loose linkages, or problems with the abp etc.
So what I'm experiencing may not be the same thing you are.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 22:54 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
For what it's worth.. I was in my LBS today (big Trek dealer) and got talking to the mechanic. He told me my issue might not be the wheels. Said they've had fuels that felt 'flexy' because of the tune on the shock, or from loose linkages, or problems with the abp etc.
So what I'm experiencing may not be the same thing you are.

The only thing I can try before heading to the dealer is making shock rebound faster Frown

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006895
Mobile Version of Website