Stanton vs Chromag Hardtail

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Stanton vs Chromag Hardtail
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
Interested in peoples thoughts or comparisons of the Stanton Swithchback and Slackline and the Chromag Rootdown and Wideangle? Have you rode these?

I am looking to purchase a high quality hardtail. Will consider used model or may build one. I am a new rider that has not ridden much in the last 20 years and want a hardtail to have fun on and to exercise and go bike fishing. I am 55 years old and a clyde rider at 250lbs. I probably have 50-60 pounds to lose and am 5'8". I currently live in the flat land area of the midwest United States but will be moving to the Rocky Mountain West.

In the last 30 days I have seen my first Mtn Biking videos and have been amazed at what fun can be had. Riding in beautiful places, jumps, technical climbs, flow and downhill descents, bunny hops etc. Granted, I am a beginner and will start slow. The above bikes intrigue me. Based on some videos, the Switchback and Rootdown seem to pull at me, even though the Slackline and Wideangle may be more all around. My priority is a fun, playful bike that excels in mountain terrain. A bike that can climb reasonably. A bike that calls you to ride it.

Your thoughts and insights appreciated!

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
You get a threaded BB on the Stantons, while the Chormags are press fit I think.

That alone would settle it for me

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
I've been on a Rootdown for about 3 year now and absolutely love it. The Stanton switch9er looks great too. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The only drawbacks I've found on the rootdown are that it's a little heavy and tire clearance wasn't great, but I think it's been improved on later models.

The rootdown climbs well and handles whatver I can throw at it.

The only difference from the picture is I've put reynolds carbon wheels on it, which helped with the weight. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
Arierep wrote:
You get a threaded BB on the Stantons, while the Chormags are press fit I think.

That alone would settle it for me

A proper pressfit bb like from Wheels manufacturing gives no issues

But can see your kinda point

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Thank you for your reply!

What year Rootdown do you have? Did you purchase it from a shop or custom build or used?

I'm finding it a bit prohibitive to purchase a complete bike from Canada for the Rootdown or Great Britain for the Switchback once you consider import fees and shipping. I believe buying a frame only could be ok, but would be my first build.

aflax wrote:
I've been on a Rootdown for about 3 year now and absolutely love it. The Stanton switch9er looks great too. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The only drawbacks I've found on the rootdown are that it's a little heavy and tire clearance wasn't great, but I think it's been improved on later models.

The rootdown climbs well and handles whatver I can throw at it.

The only difference from the picture is I've put reynolds carbon wheels on it, which helped with the weight. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
I bought it in 2016 and did a custom build through a local shop. Chromag has a lot of dealers in the US that should be able to get you a bike. I would check the pinkbike buysell page as well. There are usually a few listed for sale. I know thelostco. sells them on here.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
Any more chromag or stanton owners, feel free to chime in! Thank You!!

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
A stylus, which is a steel wideangle, has a threaded bb, not pressfit.

I like mine. They're not light though, if you're just getting back into it, I would go for a wideangle.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
got a 2019 m/l stylus 160mm travel (6'1" 170lbs, 32" inseam), its a ton of fun, it is low stack, low stand over, i can bunny hop and jump it like crazy without much effort. it's definitely a play bike.

29ers do have a tendency to roll over stuff keeping moment and speed. i got a kona honzo(29er 140mm travel) steel that just rolls through the ruggedest of terrain, super forgiving bike for a hardtail.

the stylus i choose to jump and dodge stuff corner likes crazy, honzo i can monster truck it a little more & keep my speed.

looking into getting my wife a medium wideangle she is about 5'8", stack is probably little higher and weighs a little less then stylus; but its going to be minor. but she may want another 29er(rootdown) because man the roll over angle is something.

if you want SS sliders and 853/631 the stanton is most likely awesome, drooled over them for a while. have rode single speed for 12 years; SS and 29er XC is like pb&j. Then i pulled the trigger on chromag stylus, threw a 10 speed cassette on so i can approach jumps and down-country with speed.

not sure weight is going to matter, though i do feel like an xt/saint mix made a pretty light bomb poof combo, any of these aggressive steel bikes are 28-31lbs depending on components.

steel honzo and norco torrent are something you might find to throw a leg over, complete bikes of these are probably going to be way cheaper and accessible and they are not far off the mark of what your looking for.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012547
Mobile Version of Website