Gent Looking for Great Entry-Level Hybrid or Touring Bike for Better Half

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Gent Looking for Great Entry-Level Hybrid or Touring Bike for Better Half
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for advice from the experts on a great entry-level hybrid or touring bike for my wife. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so we won't be bike packing or doing anything too crazy just yet. I'll have them in tow in a Burley. Would love the bike to be reliable, comfy, and be versatile for use on pavement, gravel, rail trails, etc. Budget is 500 - 800 USD.

She rode a Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 today at our local REI and really liked.

Thank you for any advice you can impart!!

JA

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
That's a solid choice. Good call on the flat bars, as less experienced riders almost never use the hoods or drops of drop bars.

Some suggestions, which may not be feasible:

• Wider tires: There's plenty of evidence to show wider tires roll faster, especially on terrain with even the slightest roughness.
• Single chainring: If your missus is anything like mine, coordinating front and rear shifting for optimal chainline isn't going to happen. A single chainring makes life much easier.
• Rim brakes: Often better than entry-level disc brakes in dry conditions and you'll save money. Difficult to find bikes with rim brakes, though.

The Kona Dew Deluxe hits the first two points.

Cannondale's Quick 5, 6, and 7 from the past few years has been one of my favourites. Nice fame, rim brakes, no dud components, and great value.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
That's a solid choice. Good call on the flat bars, as less experienced riders almost never use the hoods or drops of drop bars.

Some suggestions, which may not be feasible:

• Wider tires: There's plenty of evidence to show wider tires roll faster, especially on terrain with even the slightest roughness.
• Single chainring: If your missus is anything like mine, coordinating front and rear shifting for optimal chainline isn't going to happen. A single chainring makes life much easier.
• Rim brakes: Often better than entry-level disc brakes in dry conditions and you'll save money. Difficult to find bikes with rim brakes, though.

The Kona Dew Deluxe hits the first two points.

Cannondale's Quick 5, 6, and 7 from the past few years has been one of my favourites. Nice fame, rim brakes, no dud components, and great value.

Thanks so much, @R-M-R! Noted and will dig in with her on these things!

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
2brt2snc wrote:
Thanks so much, @R-M-R! Noted and will dig in with her on these things!

Salute

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009212
Mobile Version of Website