Debating running a e13 9-46t cassette with 30/32t up front on my DH bike.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Debating running a e13 9-46t cassette with 30/32t up front on my DH bike.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 1:06 Quote
Basically I have 6 bikes. Never ride them all at once and dont need 6 wheelsets. Rather have 2/3 good sets than 6 okay ones. Splashed out on the spank vibrocore 350s and love them so just thinking of sellinf my other sets and getting some vibrocores again. One set with minions and one set with wet screams and Shortys as it's pretty wet here come winter. 4 of my bikes are standard 12 and 15 boost. 2 are DH 110x20 and 150x12. The vibrocore wheels come with caps to convert the from from 15 to 20 easily. But on the rear I'm thinking about a 2mm shim and 2 mm washer under the rotor. Effectively making it a 150 wide axle. Anyway I digress. Just for ease of switching I was thinking about leaving the e13 cassette on the wheelset when on the DH bike and running a standard speed derailer on my Tues and Pulse DH bikes. What disadvantages are there? Thanks

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 1:45 Quote
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:
Basically I have 6 bikes. Never ride them all at once and dont need 6 wheelsets. Rather have 2/3 good sets than 6 okay ones. Splashed out on the spank vibrocore 350s and love them so just thinking of sellinf my other sets and getting some vibrocores again. One set with minions and one set with wet screams and Shortys as it's pretty wet here come winter. 4 of my bikes are standard 12 and 15 boost. 2 are DH 110x20 and 150x12. The vibrocore wheels come with caps to convert the from from 15 to 20 easily. But on the rear I'm thinking about a 2mm shim and 2 mm washer under the rotor. Effectively making it a 150 wide axle. Anyway I digress. Just for ease of switching I was thinking about leaving the e13 cassette on the wheelset when on the DH bike and running a standard speed derailer on my Tues and Pulse DH bikes. What disadvantages are there? Thanks

The two obvious things I can think of is the cassette is going to be heavy, and the mech and cassette are going to be more vulnerable to getting smashed against rocks than more tough/ compact DH mech/ cassette

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 2:12 Quote
Cammy14 wrote:
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:

The two obvious things I can think of is the cassette is going to be heavy, and the mech and cassette are going to be more vulnerable to getting smashed against rocks than more tough/ compact DH mech/ cassette

Cheers I thought that but I am yet to destroy a derailleur or even break a mech hanger.
Weight is no issue as my new Tues apparently weights 15.6kg :O

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 2:58 Quote
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:
Cammy14 wrote:
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:

Cheers I thought that but I am yet to destroy a derailleur or even break a mech hanger.

Sounds like it might be worth a shot then!

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
A wide spread cassette on an 8" rig is gonna need a long cage mech, even a medium is gonna get over stretched....
Also, I can speak from experience. A 30 or 32 up front could end up turning the bike into a pogo stick, DH bikes just aren't desighned to be pedaled with those ratios.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:
Cammy14 wrote:
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:

the e13 casette is lighter than eagle and xtr

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
A wide spread cassette on an 8" rig is gonna need a long cage mech, even a medium is gonna get over stretched....
Also, I can speak from experience. A 30 or 32 up front could end up turning the bike into a pogo stick, DH bikes just aren't desighned to be pedaled with those ratios.

this is true,
I have a mondraker summum with a 34t front and a 9-46 rear,
with the saint 10 speed derailuer, the 46 is off limits or rather is a "block"
chain wrap sucks on all units using e13 casettes........
but the real problem is the antisquat and pedal kickback when using smaller front sprockets on dh bikes that feature antisquat or rearward axle paths.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
englertracing wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

this is true,
I have a mondraker summum with a 34t front and a 9-46 rear,
with the saint 10 speed derailuer, the 46 is off limits or rather is a "block"
chain wrap sucks on all units using e13 casettes........
but the real problem is the antisquat and pedal kickback when using smaller front sprockets on dh bikes that feature antisquat or rearward axle paths.

What mech are you using?

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 8:26 Quote
Im using a 10 speed saint. On the dh with the 9-42
They only have one cage, they use a little optional b tension block. But the b tension block is a poor crutch for wide range casettes.
I run it as a 9-35,
I was going to machine the teeth off of the 42 turning it into a guard.
I would reccomend 10 speed xtr derailuer instead infact i regret the saint....

On my trail bike i have the 11 speed 9-46.
Xtr derailuer.
To get the derailuer to clear the 46 you still end up with pretty poor wrap on the 9 10 and 11t cogs.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
englertracing wrote:
Im using a 10 speed saint. On the dh with the 9-42
They only have one cage, they use a little optional b tension block. But the b tension block is a poor crutch for wide range casettes.
I run it as a 9-35,
I was going to machine the teeth off of the 42 turning it into a guard.
I would reccomend 10 speed xtr derailuer instead infact i regret the saint....

On my trail bike i have the 11 speed 9-46.
Xtr derailuer.
To get the derailuer to clear the 46 you still end up with pretty poor wrap on the 9 10 and 11t cogs.

The bike I might be getting comes with a zee derailer.
I will barely pedal anyway.

Are you using an 11speed cassette with the saint?

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
no two bikes
dh - saint 10 speed - e13 10 speed 9-42
trail - xtr11 speed - e13 11 speed 9-46

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 2:56 Quote
You think if I put an SLX derailer and use an e13 11 speed 9-46 that is gona f*ck shit up in terms of suspension?
Will probably never go beyond the 28t. If I keep the 36t front, will it be ok?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008050
Mobile Version of Website