My Aggressive Hardtail Options!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
My Aggressive Hardtail Options!
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
Which option would you go with for an aggressive hardtail option? I ride technical rock gardens and rooty trails. Assume all options are 27.5+ with 130-150mm travel. Other options within same budget are welcome!

Ragley Marley
Vitus Sentier
Sonder Transmitter
Nukeproof Scout
Marin San Quentin
Salsa Timberjack

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 18:05 Quote
After seeing the Ragley Marley, that tops my wish list...Mattoc Comp is the boss of budget!

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 5:11 Quote
Look at Commencal's Meta HT lineup, there are some great bang for your buck bikes!

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 6:25 Quote
Ragley Piglet? Its the steel version of Marley

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
Pretty sure, maybe better components.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
2017 Norco Torrent 7.1 upgraded... Sent message.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:46 Quote
I'll add Bird AM/TR to the list (don't know if they ship overseas though), Orange Crush/Clockwork Evo (could be pricier), Whyte 901/905, Saracen Mantra Trail LSL and Cotic Soul/BFe (perhaps slightly over budget).

From your own list I'd be partial to the Transmitter, San Quentin or Scout.

Apart from components, try to compare geometry to what you have ridden so far. Some of the above bikes are longer in reach than others, would that suit you? There's also quite a bit of variety in chainstay lengths, if you favour playfullness vs stability you can pick accordingly. Customer support is another thing that would affect my choice. Whyte have been great when I needed their help, and Sonder are very helpfull and quick to reply too.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 23:19 Quote
I have a whyte 901 as my winter basher, it’s a fantastic bike. Solid build, fantastic geo and surprisingly compliant for an alloy frame. Only thing that lets it down outta the box is the Fork, which gets to its limits pretty quickly. I’ll be upgrading mine shortly

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
Dartmoor Hornet.180mm fork compatible,cheap as chips frame,bombproof.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
I recently got a brand new Sonder Transmitter frame in XL.
The frame looks great.
The only bummer is the internal cable routing so that I have to run moto style on the brakes now, because english bike brands still haven't figured out how the rest of the world rides their brakes. Facepalm

The XL size has a longer chainstay and can actually fit a 3,0" or 29er 2,4" tire.
My build is not finished but I'm sure it will ride great. Smile

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
OneTrustMan wrote:
I recently got a brand new Sonder Transmitter frame in XL.
The frame looks great.
The only bummer is the internal cable routing so that I have to run moto style on the brakes now, because english bike brands still haven't figured out how the rest of the world rides their brakes. Facepalm

The XL size has a longer chainstay and can actually fit a 3,0" or 29er 2,4" tire.
My build is not finished but I'm sure it will ride great. Smile

Interesting! The Transmitter was on the top of my list however multiple reps from sonder told me the frame wasn't built for 29ers! Already got a new bike but wish I knew this before!

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
Ghorton8 wrote:
Interesting! The Transmitter was on the top of my list however multiple reps from sonder told me the frame wasn't built for 29ers! Already got a new bike but wish I knew this before!

Well it isn't actually.
It's only because of the growing chainstays that the XL size can take it.
I'm almost finished with my build. Using a 3.0" Specialized Purgy rear tire.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 17:45 Quote
Pipedream Moxie
Nordest Bardino
Kona honzo
Chromag bikes

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 20:55 Quote
Any opinions on the Chromag Wideangle?

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 22:14 Quote
I have a Timberjack, great bike for the buck!

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009150
Mobile Version of Website