Why do you Sell your bikes?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why do you Sell your bikes?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
I see people selling bikes all the time and they are not OLD and bad bikes the Geometry I think is great today if you buy something good and most do people spend 5k and more but why?

Habit
Trance
Carbine
Fugitive
Smuggler
'Sparton
Slash

so Why do you sell these Awesome expensive bikes? a Person like me would sleep with these bikes!

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
misfitjp wrote:
I see people selling bikes all the time and they are not OLD and bad bikes the Geometry I think is great today if you buy something good and most do people spend 5k and more but why?

Habit
Trance
Carbine
Fugitive
Smuggler
'Sparton
Slash

so Why do you sell these Awesome expensive bikes? a Person like me would sleep with these bikes!

There are plenty of people who have enough money to get a new bike every year or two.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 15:31 Quote
Bikes are worth more when they aren't too old, and they want the newest bike. I did this for a couple years before I had kids, now my bike is 5yrs old, I'm hoping to upgrade this winter. Kinda depends on money vs bills....

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
Some of us, if are lucky enough to get to this point in life, can afford to spend money on our hobby/s. I am at that point now. It has taken me some time, but at 50, I feel that I only get one spin around this world and I am going to enjoy myself as much as I can, experience as much as I can before I can't do it anymore. I had a pretty serious neck injury 5 years ago, so my perspective now has changed. I had the same mtn bike for 16 years, and have had 4 bikes in 3 years, with 2 now. Why I sell, I want to experience something different. Really liked my Tallboy, but started riding to the edge of comfort with it so I picked up a Hightower LT for the more downhill oriented trails around here. Picked up a leftover Hightower because I wanted something for the more XC type rides. May end up selling one of these and picking up a new TB. Who knows. Will see how it goes.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 4:20 Quote
Didn't gel with a santacruz bronson, sold it after 6 months for a huge loss. No point struggling with a bike you are not getting on with, life is too short.
EDIT as above, we aint getting any younger!

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 4:50 Quote
gmoss, ok I see it now I think but cash flow is an issue to many bills and when you have 2 hobbys it is hard to spend in both areas! But ok I see where you are coming from, yes getting older sux ass! I will be 50 next year but I guess I don't understand how different all of these bikes are to ride, to me by looking online the geometry looks all the damn same! I have just started to look at FS bikes they are so damn much $ I have figured out one brand, for example, it has a cheaper model but the components are all different than the very expensive ones but that is how I am looking at it I want Alloy, not carbon I ride a rigid fat bike and speed isn't my goal it is coming out of the woods after a ride and not being hurt!
I have started to look for demo rides but I am stuck on bigger tires now. I had a free demo for a few days and they are going to let me try an FS Salsa Horsethief and a Jamis Portal but the Salsa is a Carbon! So now if I like carbon feel hopeful, I won't it is 4000k

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 5:19 Quote
misfitjp wrote:
gmoss, ok I see it now I think but cash flow is an issue to many bills and when you have 2 hobbys it is hard to spend in both areas! But ok I see where you are coming from, yes getting older sux ass! I will be 50 next year but I guess I don't understand how different all of these bikes are to ride, to me by looking online the geometry looks all the damn same! I have just started to look at FS bikes they are so damn much $ I have figured out one brand, for example, it has a cheaper model but the components are all different than the very expensive ones but that is how I am looking at it I want Alloy, not carbon I ride a rigid fat bike and speed isn't my goal it is coming out of the woods after a ride and not being hurt!
I have started to look for demo rides but I am stuck on bigger tires now. I had a free demo for a few days and they are going to let me try an FS Salsa Horsethief and a Jamis Portal but the Salsa is a Carbon! So now if I like carbon feel hopeful, I won't it is 4000k

Certainly. Just having 2 bikes can be hard to deal with. lol I have had a small credit line for many years that I have used to buy and sell dirt bikes, emergencies, etc. It is a relatively small payment comparatively and I know if I need to pay it down I can sell something if I need to. Otherwise, coming up with several thousand bucks is a tough call.

I don't get too hung up on geometries. My Hightower and Hightower LT are similar but ride very different. Just making small changes like volume reducers in the shock or fork, bar, stem, wheels, changes the way the bike feels and rides.

Components wear out, so you can upgrade over time. Find the frame you want and susp you can deal with. I do not like SRAM or Rock Shox, but my HT came with a Rock Shox fork. I hate it. Makes me not even want to ride it. I deal with it until I can either replace it, or the bike. My HTLT is a hoot to ride. It had a fork and shock I could live with until I wanted to upgrade. I find myself gravitating toward the LT because of this.

As far as upgrading, I started back to riding on a 17 SC 5010 aluminum frame with a mid tier group, all Sram. I rode it for a bit, sold the components as I could afford to replace them with what I wanted. Some of those components are on my bikes almost 3 years later. This is why I don't get too hung up on what is on the bike other than susp as it is the most expensive to replace.

The one thing that is worth replacing when you can, that you will almost never get new unless you spend big money is a good set of wheels. If you can, keep some money in the budget for a good set of high engagement wheels as one of the first things to upgrade.

I prefer carbon now. SC has a lifetime warranty on the frame, so that gives me some peace of mind.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 21:07 Quote
I just enjoy trying new things. I loved my calling I just sold, it wasn't lacking anything at all, but just felt like time to try something new. This is the first time I'm truly worried about regretting that decision, though. I accept that I lose quite a bit doing it, but I have a great income and losing a few grand a year on a hobby I love isn't a problem.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
Bike models typically upgrade to a newer version every 3 years. A typical depreciation for a $6000 bike over 3 years is around $3000-$3500. Lets say $3600 to make it easy. That contributes to a depreciation of $100 a month over a 36 month period. If you can justify that loss, then every 3 years you can sell your current model and upgrade to the newest model. There are also things to consider like wear and tear. After 3 years of riding, the components might need to be rebuilt or replaced. Some times it makes more sense to sell your current ride and pass the problems along to the next person before you get stuck rebuilding a used bike.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 13:32 Quote
I don't care why you sell em' Just treat them nicely & make sure to discount the price heavily. That's where I'm a buyer Smile

No way can I outride what a bike is capable of, I'll just take your left overs & thrash em for a few years and save a few K doing it.

Thank you gentle bike riders who need something new Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009615
Mobile Version of Website