Switching to 29 at an older age

PB Forum :: 29ers
Switching to 29 at an older age
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
I maybe overthinking this but is it a bad idea to move to a 29'r at say above 50 , asking for a friend Wink .
I tried one about 5 years ago but going from a 26" wheel and felt a bit odd so I went with a RM thunderbolt 27.5 that I really love except for the suspension which I can bottom and flex the fox 32 forks too much these days.
So I'm looking at a RM instinct with 140/140 travel but am wondering will I suffer in the getting rolling area on punchy trails , I'm not sure how much more effort it will need to get rolling. I'm an average rider thats been MTB for 30+ years.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
I don't think age has anything to do with it. I am 50, and just like 29 wheels better. Decently lightweight wheelset will make the 29 plenty of fun, and plenty punchy. There may be a slight acceleration difference, but 29 carries speed so well and learning to use that momentum makes up for any difference, especially considering it covers more ground and hits stuff at a lower angle.

Just a matter of getting used to the size, which does not take that long.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
I am 50 as well and love my 29er.
In a matter of a year I went from a older Trek Top Fuel 26" bike with 100mm of travel to a used 2014 Scott Spark 910 29er with 100mm travel to a new 2018 Scott Genius 920 29er with 150mm travel.
29ers will definitely feel a little weird when you start especially in fast corners as they tend to want to high side ( rolling inertia) but easily overcome the more you ride. Going downhill they are like monster trucks. They roll over everything!!
Going uphill I dont notice too much change in acceleration, (once again you get used to it), and I have broken all of my Strava uphill records from my two XC bikes with my 6" travel bike now.. So I love the 29er. And notice the shift on your trails. Nearly everyone of the group of guys I ride with, run 29er's now.
Look at all the year end blow outs for forks and wheelsets. They are all 27.5" and not the 29". That should tell you the way the market is buying bikes and components.
And Bottom line I don't think age has anything to do with it. I feel like I can conquer any rock garden, steep drop or any terrain with the 29".
good luck

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 4:13 Quote
I am 44 and agree with what those guys said. So does my 11 yr old son. He climbs like a Billy goat and flat out just hauls ass on my 150/140 29er. It's all relative, but I just enjoy riding more on the big wheels. Singletrack, black diamond, park flow jump lines, drops, tech climbs....

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
so I picked up the Instinct C50 on sat. morning and have put about 60 k on it over the long weekend, It handles really close to my 27.5 and only took a ride to get used to it, I love the speed and have been able to jump almost as easy as my Thundertbolt but have also cleared jumps I didn't on the TB. I'm not sure if I was tired by the 3rd ride but the second hour of a ride seems a bit harder to get the cranks going. oddly enough I find it easier to wheelie yes I still work on my wheelies as much as I did as a kid and would love to be able to hold a manual more than 10'.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
congrats on the new bike. Have fun

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
I'm 62 and just went from a 26" to a 29". Been using my son's bike for about 8 yrs and found the impacts were taking a toll on the body as I have injuries as well.

Flipped the 26" bike about 6 yrs ago and torn my shoulder and biceps tendon and jacked up my neck. This was the second surgery to that shoulder and since then have torn it again.

Rented a 29" Ripmo while in Tahoe this summer and it felt more secure riding in the rocks and jumps. Much smoother and easier to pedal on the flats too. Picked up a Ripmo a couple months ago and really enjoying a 29. I'm actually staying ahead of a few folks on climbs now. Much more stable on a downhill too.

Glad you made the jump to a 29! (pun intended)

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 6:00 Quote
Anybody demo a Tallboy or Ripley? Or anything else they really loved?

I'm 52, bought my first bike since a 2005 severe leg break in Sept 2018. YT Jeffsy 27.5. Only other bike I rode briefly was a Stache and at the time it felt weird to go from 26 to 29 so I went 27.5. Now more than a year later and LOT of miles, completely addicted to riding, I'm starting to feel like I can evaluate a bike much better. Feel like I'm maybe missing something without a 29'er. I've sort of settled into doing longer rides, live in KC, ride Arkansas, travel to AZ, etc. so the trails overall are punchy, flowy, with some tech mixed in. Love to smash some rock and do some small drops and jumps but I'm really not using all my suspension on my Jeffsy at 140/150, upgraded to superdeluxe rear and mrp ribbon coil so it's really dialed in. So even a lateral move to a bike with similar suspension is going to put me into the $6k plus range with those boutique brands and I'll still end up swapping out seat, bars, tires, etc. If I thought I could put one together for less and get some better i9 wheels and the bars, stem, drivetrain, etc I want I'd be willing to build one.

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
escrowdog wrote:

I'm 52, bought my first bike since a 2005 severe leg break in Sept 2018. YT Jeffsy 27.5. Only other bike I rode briefly was a Stache and at the time it felt weird to go from 26 to 29 so I went 27.5. Now more than a year later and LOT of miles, completely addicted to riding, I'm starting to feel like I can evaluate a bike much better. Feel like I'm maybe missing something without a 29'er. I've sort of settled into doing longer rides, live in KC, ride Arkansas, travel to AZ, etc. so the trails overall are punchy, flowy, with some tech mixed in. Love to smash some rock and do some small drops and jumps but I'm really not using all my suspension on my Jeffsy at 140/150, upgraded to superdeluxe rear and mrp ribbon coil so it's really dialed in. So even a lateral move to a bike with similar suspension is going to put me into the $6k plus range with those boutique brands and I'll still end up swapping out seat, bars, tires, etc. If I thought I could put one together for less and get some better i9 wheels and the bars, stem, drivetrain, etc I want I'd be willing to build one.

I had a CC Tallboy 2018, built from a frame. Like a dummy, I sold it and got something with more travel. I do really like my Hightower LT, but wish I had kept my TB as well. I figured up what I had in my TB and it was mid $5k with I9/Stans Flow rims, factory 120 Fox fork, and a mix of XT and XTR components. Carbon Renthal bars and their stem as well. I want another TB, but will have to wait some time I guess. I have not been on the new one yet, but I think I am going to want the previous gen as I have the long and slack now. I want another more XC side of a trail bike for those days I am doing more pedaling than anything.

What I noticed more than anything going from 27.5 to 29 is the BB drop (how much lower the BB is than the axles). on the 29, you are further below the axles, which gives you more a feel of being "in" the bike vs. on the bike. at 6'+, it makes a difference.

I had not put the Fox Transfer post on yet.

2018 SC Tallboy

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
gmoss wrote:
escrowdog wrote:

I had a CC Tallboy 2018, built from a frame. Like a dummy, I sold it and got something with more travel. I do really like my Hightower LT, but wish I had kept my TB as well. I figured up what I had in my TB and it was mid $5k with I9/Stans Flow rims, factory 120 Fox fork, and a mix of XT and XTR components. Carbon Renthal bars and their stem as well. I want another TB, but will have to wait some time I guess. I have not been on the new one yet, but I think I am going to want the previous gen as I have the long and slack now. I want another more XC side of a trail bike for those days I am doing more pedaling than anything.

What I noticed more than anything going from 27.5 to 29 is the BB drop (how much lower the BB is than the axles). on the 29, you are further below the axles, which gives you more a feel of being "in" the bike vs. on the bike. at 6'+, it makes a difference.

I had not put the Fox Transfer post on yet.

2018 SC Tallboy

Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thank you for taking the time. Never considered the relationship between the bb and hub centers! So you obviously had some bottoming issues with the TB if you felt you needed more travel? That's what I'm trying to figure out...I'm riding a pretty plush setup now and maybe using 120mm of the 150 available in the front on 90% of my miles and RARELY going beyond that. But if I go to a shorter travel bike will I be giving up some compliance if I'm deeper in the stroke most of time?

Your build is exactly what I would be after. Although I hate to buy a shock with the frame that I really don't want. Did you keep the shock it shipped with?

Getting into a time of year where demo's will be tough.

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
escrowdog wrote:

Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thank you for taking the time. Never considered the relationship between the bb and hub centers! So you obviously had some bottoming issues with the TB if you felt you needed more travel? That's what I'm trying to figure out...I'm riding a pretty plush setup now and maybe using 120mm of the 150 available in the front on 90% of my miles and RARELY going beyond that. But if I go to a shorter travel bike will I be giving up some compliance if I'm deeper in the stroke most of time?

Your build is exactly what I would be after. Although I hate to buy a shock with the frame that I really don't want. Did you keep the shock it shipped with?

Getting into a time of year where demo's will be tough.

No, I really did not have bottoming issues with the TB. Never did as a matter of fact. I started riding faster downhill, bike parkish stuff here at a local trail and the TB felt like I was a little on the edge at times. I got a wild notion and bought the HTLT from the local shop because they gave me a deal I could not pass up. The TB really did do well for the travel it has. I just felt like giving something else a go. If you are not using all the travel, check the volume reducer size and change it. It makes a big difference for little $. I have been experimenting with that lately. 90% of the time I do not need 150 mm, though I was using it most of the rides I go on. I increased the reducer size so I keep some in reserve. I like a firmer feel though. I don't like wallowy. You can keep plushness regardless of travel if you are set up correctly. It won't be as deep as a longer travel bike.

Yes, I kept the Factory Fox DPS. I really liked it on the TB. The new TB is a different animal altogether though. I don't think there is a real need for a DPX2 on a short travel TB. I thought about one for mine, but just could not justify it as good as mine worked.

I do have a DPX2 on my HTLT and it was an improvement over the Perf level DPS my bike came with. I bought it here as a new takeoff so the spend was not too bad.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 14:42 Quote
Oh man, I miss my TB3. Such a fun bike. I honestly thought it was more playful, fickable, and a way better climber than the 5010V3 C I had. The TB has been the one bike I want another of at some point.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011327
Mobile Version of Website