Time for Pinkbike to help us examine the risks we are taking

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Time for Pinkbike to help us examine the risks we are taking
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
Marcencinitas wrote:
howmaybesgo wrote:
I don't really think it is anyone's responsibility to present all the data to you or conduct studies based on it. That being said, I don't think data should be withheld. Intentionally covering up fatal injuries is disgusting.

Life is dangerous. Driving cars, motorcycles, flying, walking, etc.... EVERYTHING can get you hurt. The last thing I want is someone force feeding me statistics on everything that is going to kill me. I would be scared to do anything! That is not the life I want to live. I think it is a much better approach for people to be realistic with themselves about ability. Perform actions that are within your ability! This doesn't mean you can't progress but do it as controlled as possible. Take little steps. I would much rather being doing something I love and have an accident happen then say driving to work and have an accident happen.

It sounds to me that the bike parks (and is resorts) are withholding data about deaths under the guise of respecting privacy but with the intention of maintaining their brand image. Any park that steps forward with integrity and starts reporting on their own might be at a competitive disadvantage to the ones who cover this up.

For example, how many spinal cord injuries have been sustained on A-Line in Whistler? Is it zero or 100? Should we have to wait and see a friend carted off before deciding to moderate our own riding?

Pinkbike shows a 6 year old kid hucking a 10 foot drop--- Is that awesome or is that child abuse?

Does the parent actually know how risky those moves are?

You are in the wrong sport bud. Driving your car on the freeway puts you at higher risk than riding mtb. If you think a feature or trail is over your head, dont ride the f*cking trail. 99% of riders don't need to be told whether or not something is safe, because they can see it themselves and make their own judgements.

I've watched dads scream at their kids to hit a jump on a moto track and the kid still didn't do it.It takes both commitment and responsibility on the childs behalf.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
I completely agree it is, but to find any company or educational facility to make a study based on just neck braces for MTB is near impossible

hansbauck wrote:
allarile260 wrote:
Hello,

Here's some hard data for you.

https://www.actionsportsems.com/case-study-neck-brace

All I can say is I took one look at this & other related medical studies and bought a neck brace. I'm never going to be caught riding downhill without one.

Not going to disagree with your choice. I think neck braces are definitely beneficial, and make sense for someone riding in a bike park.

But that is a very flawed study done at a high school level at best.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
skerby wrote:
Marcencinitas wrote:
howmaybesgo wrote:
I don't really think it is anyone's responsibility to present all the data to you or conduct studies based on it. That being said, I don't think data should be withheld. Intentionally covering up fatal injuries is disgusting.

Life is dangerous. Driving cars, motorcycles, flying, walking, etc.... EVERYTHING can get you hurt. The last thing I want is someone force feeding me statistics on everything that is going to kill me. I would be scared to do anything! That is not the life I want to live. I think it is a much better approach for people to be realistic with themselves about ability. Perform actions that are within your ability! This doesn't mean you can't progress but do it as controlled as possible. Take little steps. I would much rather being doing something I love and have an accident happen then say driving to work and have an accident happen.

It sounds to me that the bike parks (and is resorts) are withholding data about deaths under the guise of respecting privacy but with the intention of maintaining their brand image. Any park that steps forward with integrity and starts reporting on their own might be at a competitive disadvantage to the ones who cover this up.

For example, how many spinal cord injuries have been sustained on A-Line in Whistler? Is it zero or 100? Should we have to wait and see a friend carted off before deciding to moderate our own riding?

Pinkbike shows a 6 year old kid hucking a 10 foot drop--- Is that awesome or is that child abuse?

Does the parent actually know how risky those moves are?

You are in the wrong sport bud. Driving your car on the freeway puts you at higher risk than riding mtb. If you think a feature or trail is over your head, dont ride the f*cking trail. 99% of riders don't need to be told whether or not something is safe, because they can see it themselves and make their own judgements.

I've watched dads scream at their kids to hit a jump on a moto track and the kid still didn't do it.It takes both commitment and responsibility on the childs behalf.

What evidence has established your belief that riding MTB is safer than driving a car on the freeway?

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
Marcencinitas wrote:

What evidence has established your belief that riding MTB is safer than driving a car on the freeway?

You know, the fact that you are going 70mph in a 2 ton vehicle with other 2 ton vehicles going 70 in the opposite direction. If you think about it enough it's extremely dangerous.

Probably more dangerous than doing 20 mph and hitting small jumps on a bicycle. Personally been racing moto and mtb my whole life and I have been way way more injured from car accidents than I have from any of my hobbies.

I think riders should be held accountable for their mistakes, if you ride something that's over your head and you get hurt that is 100% your fault. The fact that you watched someone do it on instagram doesn't magically make others responsible for your mistake.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
Before MTB became "main stream", it was considered an action sport. A sport that inherently has a higher risk of injury than others.

do you really need stats and warnings?

People need to take accountability for their own actions, and own their injuries and decisions. Litigation is killing the action sports industry, and dumbing down the sport so the masses feel safer is making things even worse.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 18:53 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Before MTB became "main stream", it was considered an action sport. A sport that inherently has a higher risk of injury than others.

People need to take accountability for their own actions, and own their injuries and decisions. Litigation is killing the action sports industry, and dumbing down the sport so the masses feel safer is making things even worse.

Where did I talk about warnings or not taking personal responsibility? I personally don't need any of that as I've reached my own decisions, but I think the younger riders could stand to hear what guys like Brett Tippie would say about their perspective on risk/reward looking back over a long career.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
Marcencinitas wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Where did I talk about warnings or not taking personal responsibility? I personally don't need any of that as I've reached my own decisions, but I think the younger riders could stand to hear what guys like Brett Tippie would say about their perspective on risk/reward looking back over a long career.

It’s a generalized comment about the topic, and it’s valid.

The value of the wisdom of old men is never appreciated by young men. Particularly in the context of risk reward. It’s what makes MTB attractive to that demographic in the first place.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
It’s also would feel a bit Hypocritical to have some OG rider preaching “do as I say not as do”.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 7:57 Quote
Marcencinitas wrote:
The road-racing site GCN released an informative piece on concussions today: https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/we-need-to-talk-about-concussion-learning-from-brain-injury-experience

Here's a good report on the impact of a ruptured achilles tendon and recommended treatment and recovery protocols: https://www.orthopt.org/uploads/content_files/2016_CSM_Handouts/Achilles_Tendon_Rupture.pdf

It was interesting that 32% of NFL players and 39% of NBA players never return to professional sports after sustaining this injury.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006151
Mobile Version of Website