Match Shimano Brake Levers and Brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Match Shimano Brake Levers and Brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
Hy guys,

I have a set of Deore 6000 brakes with two pistons. Can I simply swap the brakes with four pistons mt520 maintaining the original levers. They look identical to the 520 levers but changing only the brakes is cheaper! I think I will only have to bleed them after the change is that right? Or am I totally wrong?

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 2:47 Quote
You are absolutely 100% right with your thoughts.

by Shimano instructions you would also need to cut a bit off from your brake hose and attach new olive and oil needle to it. In real life, unofficially you will be fine just simply taking the hose off from old caliber and mounting it to the new caliber, without cutting the hose, with old olive and oil needle on it.

Go for it.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
munakorva wrote:
You are absolutely 100% right with your thoughts.

by Shimano instructions you would also need to cut a bit off from your brake hose and attach new olive and oil needle to it. In real life, unofficially you will be fine just simply taking the hose off from old caliber and mounting it to the new caliber, without cutting the hose, with old olive and oil needle on it.

Go for it.

Thank you a lot!!!!

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 5:31 Quote
Alexh1983 wrote:
Hy guys,

I have a set of Deore 6000 brakes with two pistons. Can I simply swap the brakes with four pistons mt520 maintaining the original levers. They look identical to the 520 levers but changing only the brakes is cheaper! I think I will only have to bleed them after the change is that right? Or am I totally wrong?

Not sure if oil reservoar/quantity in the system is the same and piston inside lever is the same, could be that you end up with 4-pot brakes not working at 100%. And thats not something you want with brakes bombing downhill at 60 kph... Big Grin
Would suggest change levers too and sell old brakes complete to have peace of mind.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Not sure if oil reservoir/quantity in the system is the same and piston inside lever is the same,

The lever and caliper combo will work fine, if you do some searching, you'll find plenty of threads/comments where people have attached 4 piston Shimano calipers with brake levers that came with 2 piston Shimano calipers.

There's a old Shimano compatibility document that says most levers can be used with most calipers, the exception was one LX trekking model, the LX lever that wasn't compatible with other model calipers and the LX caliper wasn't compatible with other model levers.

When the document was published, Shimano did have 4 piston calipers in their lineup.


Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
cobba wrote:
onyxss wrote:
Not sure if oil reservoir/quantity in the system is the same and piston inside lever is the same,

The lever and caliper combo will work fine, if you do some searching, you'll find plenty of threads/comments where people have attached 4 piston Shimano calipers with brake levers that came with 2 piston Shimano calipers.

There's a old Shimano compatibility document that says most levers can be used with most calipers, the exception was one LX trekking model, the LX lever that wasn't compatible with other model calipers and the LX caliper wasn't compatible with other model levers.

When the document was published, Shimano did have 4 piston calipers in their lineup.


Don't see much sense in this combo testing with new lever costing like 30$. Yes, it would probably work according to your document . Or not Big Grin Possible fault will not show on backyard test but when the brake will be most stressed (going faaast or steeep). Its up to OP if he wants to test his health against 30$/lever saving Big Grin

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Don't see much sense in this combo testing with new lever costing like 30$. Yes, it would probably work according to your document . Or not Big Grin Possible fault will not show on backyard test but when the brake will be most stressed (going faaast or steeep). Its up to OP if he wants to test his health against 30$/lever saving Big Grin

There's no issue using a BL-M6000 brake lever with the BR-MT520 brake caliper if the hose is properly attached to the caliper and you properly bleed the brakes.

The BL-MT501 brake lever that comes with the BR-MT520 brake caliper is also used on the 2 piston BR-MT500 brake caliper which also has the same size pistons as other 2 piston Shimano brake calipers.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m6000/BL-MT501.html

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 22:04 Quote
Hi guys I have done the work, and I can confirm that everything work properly. Just yesterday evening I tried my usually after-work trail, and I am still here Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008995
Mobile Version of Website