Bike security

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
When my bike is stored in the garage I have it hanging on the wall as I did with my old bike. However this bike is worth considerably more than my old one, so I really dont want it going walkies in the night! I thought maybe a wall / ground anchor mounted to the wall and then a D-lock going through it and round the frame.
What are you guys using and what would you recommend?

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
Beef46 wrote:
When my bike is stored in the garage I have it hanging on the wall as I did with my old bike. However this bike is worth considerably more than my old one, so I really dont want it going walkies in the night! I thought maybe a wall / ground anchor mounted to the wall and then a D-lock going through it and round the frame.
If someone is willing to break into your home/garage for a bicycle, no lock is going to help you in my opinion. I would concentrate on making sure your garage doors are as secure as possible vs. bolting you’re possessions to the floor.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
Barking dog is best deterrent. If not that, secure the best you can. Camera with sign would be good too.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 4:29 Quote
Thing is really (and it might sound stupid). Dont draw attention to yourself. Lemme explain. A friend of mine had a neighbour who at some point had quite a lot of money. So he bought a Lamborghini. He was still living in a standard house tho.(why he even bought the thing is beyond me, but its his choice so whatever) But that car draws attention when parked in front of his house. It took less than 24 hours from him parking that car there and people trying to gain access to the house. I mean the keys should be inside right?

This example is a bit exaggerated. But i think you get the point. If there is no hint that something valuable is there for the taking why should you try to even break in there?

Regardless. Do make sure to have proper locks on the doors. Maybe even an alarm system. or a dog. But the most important thing is dont make it obvious youre guarding treasure. most of those crimes are commited because of opportunity. Some bad guy sees your bike standing in front of the house with no one around. they only need 2 seconds. dont leave your bike in front of the house. Thats is the most likely case it will get stolen. Not when its out of sight in your garage with the doors locked.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
Folks will follow a car with a bike on the back.

One thing you can do too is chip your bike with a gps.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 1:42 Quote
I agree with this BTW, had 4 bikes stolen two years ago in the country from a very unassuming shed. The police have always said make your possessions harder to get than someone elses as harsh as it sounds...Our downfall was we thought we were safe living in a sleepy village.... we always took the bikes off the car in front of the house AND this is a big one, never thought that someone may follow you home when they see the bikes....then they can spend the time working out how they’re going to get you.

Our security is now a whole lot better with no weak points, don’t forget the mental side of it too... I was paranoid for a year and still am a bit now whenever I hear a sound out the back I’m not expecting. Going downstairs each day to check the new structure hasn’t been tampered with is still a daily occurrence.....do yourself a favour and invest heavily on security to stop/put them off....

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 2:03 Quote
A home alarm system via wfi is a good investment. Wifi cuz there are no wires that can be defeated, then have a Big trained dog that has access to your bike. The secure your bike as best as you can. If a scumbag can defeat all that, then at least you've made it Very tough to take your bike. The cost of those things can get spendy, but then you have peace of mind..

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
Ground anchor and big kryptonite chain. That will take some serious noise to get through. Most once they are that just won't bother.
The good ones are even rated to withstand angle grinders and sledge we attacks for 20 minutes.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
No1 rule; keep it in the house! People have controlling partners, I get it but keep it in the house.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
A lot of insurers now insist that they are padlocked to an immovable object when stored in the garage/shed/bike store.

Those big hoops. and ground anchors do that bit. Then just make sure your lock is the correct rating and approved. Take some pictures to prove it as well!
What is slightly insane is that you can have it locked with a gold D lock but still use a shonky extension cable. Just don't give them any reason to not pay up if the worst happens.

Bluntly, if scroats have got in then there is a good chance that even if they don't manage to break the locks they will trash the bikes as a matter principal (hard experience of this).

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 3:32 Quote
Beef46 wrote:

Insurance + what insurance company wants you to have for insurance claim to be succesful is the only 100% way. All other stuff like locks. anchors etc. are less than 100%, they depend heavily on experience and determination of thief Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008696
Mobile Version of Website