Marin Hawk Hill

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Marin Hawk Hill
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 16:52 Quote
Any body with a shifting problem?
Hawk hill3 2020 slx 7100 and slx shifter. Shimano chain. Sunrace cassette. Impossible to have good shifting in the middle of the cassette.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
My wife's HH3 has had shifting issues since day one, I think they may be behind us now after "rebuilding" (taking it apart cleaning it well and reassembling with lots of grease) the clutch for a second time.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
So what is probably happening is as the Hawkhill suspension compresses, it tends to pull the shifter cable in. which is probably murdering your shifting. I think i made a post a page or so ago that explains how i fixed it. That was the biggest shifting issue I had

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
So what is probably happening is as the Hawkhill suspension compresses, it tends to pull the shifter cable in. which is probably murdering your shifting. I think i made a post a page or so ago that explains how i fixed it. That was the biggest shifting issue I had

Absolutely what i found and see. It shift like it need on the stand but when im on the bike it became a mess. Can you give me a link to that post you do?

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 18:53 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
p3kwode wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

Its a fun bike for sure, I rerouted the rear shifter cable as the frame was pulling the shifter cable into the bike on every rear linkage compression and it was clacking on the frame. As far as i know, the Hawkhill's run on the larger size, and since you're getting the 3, you are getting a better spec, this bike should have come with a piggyback shock setup, it really needs it, the short travel has no effect on how capable the bike is, I took my hawkhill to Windrock bike park in march and it faired incredibly well. Super capable.

How did you reroute the shift cable housing because I have this exact problem on my '19 Hawk Hill 3. Whenever the suspension compresses, the bit of housing on the derailleur gets pulled and it eventually destroyed the ferrule on the derailleur. Also, the chain hits into the bit of housing underneath the bb area. Any help would be appreciated!

yeah, its an annoying problem for sure. I yanked out the shifter cable, and plugged the holes with the marin frame grommets from their website. I ran the shifter cable the same rout as the rear brake hose, and electrical tape wrapped it, right at the bottom shock mounting point is(near the bb) is crossed the shifter cable over, the cable then went over the bb shell, and the cable goes over the top of the chainstay, then i used an innertube and wrapped it over the chainstay and cable. I put in a pic. the lizard skin's (chainstay protector is just to defend against my heel rub, the wrapped innertube is still underneath it) This setup no longer pulls the cable through the frame when the bike compresses, and pretty much makes the bike 100% silent now.

Sure thing. here it is! If you need any extra visuals on it. I may have an old Instagram video of the routing I can look for. The reason for the Innertube wrap was to ensure that the cable doesn't move at all Smile (for any clarification, the cable is routed on the outside of the bike now)

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
Thank you i will try it this weekend!

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
@MTBrandonLee thanks for posting this. I still need to try it out. I’ve tried the clutch maint thing, have been through a lot of cables, a few chains and a cassette and no matter how dialed I get it, the load on the cable always gets bad again eventually and it starts shifting like crap.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 12:57 Quote
T-Brick wrote:
@MTBrandonLee thanks for posting this. I still need to try it out. I’ve tried the clutch maint thing, have
been through a lot of cables, a few chains and a cassette and no matter how dialed I get it, the load on the cable always gets bad again eventually and it starts shifting like crap.

Happy to help man! The cable pulling was driving me mad hahah

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006337
Mobile Version of Website