Tire Inflation Survey

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tire Inflation Survey
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
Hello, my name is Noah, I'm part of a three man team in a high school engineering capstone class attempting to create a new, more efficient solution to inflate bike tires. We would sincerely appreciate it if you would take 5 minutes out of your day to answer our survey to the best of your ability to help with the justification of our proposed problem.
Thank you!

- Matthew, Griffin, and Noah

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4HfCncLWQ0GNX4gil-tayg1csYi2FTdTwl3F6BIaZaUuujA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
What is the proposed problem?

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
I to am curious to know the problem for which you
seek a more efficient sollution to.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
I don't think Noah is coming back... ????

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
What is the proposed problem?
Our proposed problem is simply the insufficient methods of inflating of tires, finding improvements to current solutions like CO2 cartridges, portable pumps, etc... - or inventing a new solution to inflate said tires. The survey is to simply prove or disprove the fact that there needs to be a better way of inflating tires.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by 'insufficient methods of inflating tires"? What exactly is insufficient about the current methods?

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
I just carry some rubbing alcohol and a few matches to inflate my tires.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
Hi Matthew, Noah and Griffin. Best of luck with your project. I know a lot of mountain bikers are skeptical of new things. CO2 and hand pumps are pretty simple devices and will likely be difficult to improve upon, but everyone was happy 26" wheels a couple years ago, so you never know when incremental improvements will change things significantly. Best of luck with your project.
Hopefully you get some good responses with your survey.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by 'insufficient methods of inflating tires"? What exactly is insufficient about the current methods?
This is essentially what we are trying to find out, what do people not like about their current method and how can we possibly improve on this (if we find enough data to prove this as a problem). It's a process, sorry about the misunderstandings.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
Hi Matthew, Noah and Griffin. Best of luck with your project. I know a lot of mountain bikers are skeptical of new things. CO2 and hand pumps are pretty simple devices and will likely be difficult to improve upon, but everyone was happy 26" wheels a couple years ago, so you never know when incremental improvements will change things significantly. Best of luck with your project.
Hopefully you get some good responses with your survey.

Indeed. Thank You!

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
Filled that form in for ya.

But about trailside tire repair. You carry a small pump with ya. and pumpin up a 2,4inch 29 tire takes a lot of pumping with the small pump.

But the survey doesnt ask what i like about my kit. You see before you invent something with rocket engines the main reason why use a hand pump is A. Its a simple thing, and it allways works. B unlimited usage, i cannot run out of CO2 cardridges. I can use co2 with the pump. ive got the crankbrothers one. but i dont. Whats also nice about it is the hose. The hose is there so you dont screw up the valve. (screw up the valve and youre in trouble)

What i think would improve tire inflation in an emergency like a flat tire halfway would be how much air you can put into the tire with one go. While keeping the pump itself light and small enough. It should fit in a camelbak easy.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 13:31 Quote
I filled in your survey.

I'm currently using a Stompump mini floor pump, which seems excellent so far. It fits in a Wolftooth 1.1ltr roll top bag that straps to my frame. There's also a 27.5 tube and tyre levers in the bag, it doesn't take much space and I've still got a drinks bottle cage.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008681
Mobile Version of Website