Giant Trance 2019 and up. Experience?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Giant Trance 2019 and up. Experience?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
Just ordered a 2020 Advanced 1. Wanted to hear people's input on components, setup, whatever you've learned.

Cheers!

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
I’ve got the 2019. The fork upgrade is awesome on the 2020.

The only upgrade really needed is brakes. I went to Guide RS as I’ve been running them for 4 years and happy with them.

The Eagle GX is clunky (I came from 11 sos X01) but I’ll run it till it’s dead.

Other than that just the usual saddle and cockpit changes. I’m not a fan of any of the giant stuff, just frames and wheels.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
Cheers Kiwixc.

I've had 3 1/2 weeks on mine so far, it's all I hoped it would be really. Massive difference in effort on the uphills compared to my Reign, easy to ride and fun on the downs. Surprisingly small difference on the clock descending.

My size large was a tad over 28lbs out of the box. With pedals 29 flat.

Trance BB is 13.2", which seems like industry standard for this category. Hightower, Ripley, etc are also 13.2. Depends on what you're used to I suppose, but if you're coming off an enduro sled it feels relatively tall. Better clearance pedalling uphill for sure.

Standover on large is 30" flat, looks a bit tall but no problems there.

Seat tube is steeper than I expected, perhaps they measured with a different post as the new Giant dropper post has a forward offest head. Had to slide my saddle back a few mm's to achieve perfect seated reach.

Proper sag is important I've found or you'll bottom out that short travel with a scary thunk on big stuff. With DPX2 11mm sag= 25%.

The bike is so competent everywhere that I'd decided to sell my beloved Reign. A couple of shuttle runs on the old Reign yesterday changed my mind though. If the Trance is a dagger, the Reign is a battle-axe. Forgot how fun it was to take questionable lines full throttle and come down from landing jumps wherever the f&$ck you want.

Picking up a second more-pedally bike is possibly the best equipment choice I've ever made. I expect I'll be riding the Trance 75% of the time.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 15:30 Quote
I have a 2019 Trance 2 (aluminum) in size Large and couldn't be happier with it!

I did several upgrades out of the gate as well as a few later on. When I bought it I swapped the saddle and handlebars for Chromag ones, got Chromag pedals, swapped the grips for ODI Rogues, and got an MRP chainguide and ramp control cartridge. TBH the bars I only swapped because they were anodized purple and look really cool

I wanted tighter handling so I got a 40mm stem (stock is 50mm), and I love how it handles now. With 20/20 hindsight into how I like how it now handles, I probably would have gone for an XL frame to keep similar reach numbers, but I'm not too fussy about it.

After getting a slash in the stock Maxxis High Roller II Exo casing rear tire, I swapped both for Maxxis Minion DHF/ DHR II combo in their 3C compound and it was one of the best changes I made, especially for the terrain here in BC. I have some Vittoria tires on order because I was able to get a wicked deal on them, and they are 2.6" wide each, so they'll be my wet weather tires.

I swapped the resin brake pads for metallic ones, and as the rotors were resin-specific pads, I opted to upgrade to XT Ice-Tec rotors and bump the front size from 180mm to 203mm. I'm a lightweight guy, so they are definitely overkill, but they stop super nicely. The stock brakes are 4-piston E-bike brakes and I am super impressed with them other than the pads that came with them.

As it sits right now it is 32 lbs 11 oz, which is definitely on the heavy side, but I don't have the budget for titanium or carbon. Will probably swap my SLX cassette for an XT one when it comes time to replace, and get a KMC X11SL chain in gold

Future upgrades will probably include a DPX2 shock or similar (maybe DVO Topaz 2) with a 55mm stroke (stock is 52.5mm stroke) to hopefully bump the rear travel to somewhere around 146mm, a 170mm PNW dropper to replace the 150mm Giant one, and if I am able to afford it a custom wheelset on Hope hubs with carbon rims, and then get some DH casing tires to keep on the stock rims for lift access park riding

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008850
Mobile Version of Website