Help building a Ticket

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Help building a Ticket
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
Hey guys,

Building up a Ticket for just a fun play bike, I've built a handful of mountain bikes from XC to my full on DH to my fatbike. But I'll be honest, I know very little about DJ/Slopestyle builds. Hoping some of you can help answer some basic questions I just simply don't know Smile I have some left over parts I'm hoping to use as well so the build should be inexpensive.

1. Bar width - I like wide bars on my bikes, almost all of them are uncut at 800mm, is that too wide for this type of bike?
2. Fork travel - Seems like 100mm is "standard", I have a 160 Fox 36 I'm waiting to hear back from Fox on if they still have a travel reduce kit for it. Should I stick with 100?
3. Rotors - I assume I should stick with a rear only? I have left over 203mm, should I stick with 160 or 180?
4. Brakes - I have Saint brakes lying around, overkill especially if I only have a rear brake but should I opt for cable and some type of Gyro setup? not gonna lie, I just learned what a gyro was Wink
5. Gearing - Seems like most of you do an SS setup, I have some 1x10 cassettes lying around, stick with SS? If so, gearing starting point including chainring?

I have an extra 26" wheelset so good there, just need to figure out what I'm doing with gearing. I have a set of raceface cranks, would just need a smaller diameter spindle. I'm liking that I can get into this build without spending $6k haha.

Thanks for any tips everyone!

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
firstascent wrote:
Hey guys,

Building up a Ticket for just a fun play bike, I've built a handful of mountain bikes from XC to my full on DH to my fatbike. But I'll be honest, I know very little about DJ/Slopestyle builds. Hoping some of you can help answer some basic questions I just simply don't know Smile I have some left over parts I'm hoping to use as well so the build should be inexpensive.

1. Bar width - I like wide bars on my bikes, almost all of them are uncut at 800mm, is that too wide for this type of bike?
2. Fork travel - Seems like 100mm is "standard", I have a 160 Fox 36 I'm waiting to hear back from Fox on if they still have a travel reduce kit for it. Should I stick with 100?
3. Rotors - I assume I should stick with a rear only? I have left over 203mm, should I stick with 160 or 180?
4. Brakes - I have Saint brakes lying around, overkill especially if I only have a rear brake but should I opt for cable and some type of Gyro setup? not gonna lie, I just learned what a gyro was Wink
5. Gearing - Seems like most of you do an SS setup, I have some 1x10 cassettes lying around, stick with SS? If so, gearing starting point including chainring?

I have an extra 26" wheelset so good there, just need to figure out what I'm doing with gearing. I have a set of raceface cranks, would just need a smaller diameter spindle. I'm liking that I can get into this build without spending $6k haha.

Thanks for any tips everyone!

cut your bars down to around 760 so that you can flick the bike around, your gunna want 100mm travel, only run a back brake and use the 160mm rotor you don't need much power on a dj and don't worry about a giro if your not doing barspins and tailwhips etc, go SS and keep the bike simple Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
I set mine up to be more of an all around cruiser with a DH cassette, 100mm front and rear travel, front and rear breaks 160mm rotors. I am to old to spin my bars or whip but I do like to jump ! I think this is a good compromise ! GOOD LUCK Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
I set mine up to be more of an all around cruiser with a DH cassette, 100mm front and rear travel, front and rear breaks 160mm rotors. I am to old to spin my bars or whip but I do like to jump ! I think this is a good compromise ! GOOD LUCK Smile

Just to elaborate, mine is a Transition Triple

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
og03 wrote:

cut your bars down to around 760 so that you can flick the bike around, your gunna want 100mm travel, only run a back brake and use the 160mm rotor you don't need much power on a dj and don't worry about a giro if your not doing barspins and tailwhips etc, go SS and keep the bike simple Smile

Sweet thanks! Yeah as much as I’d love to do barspins etc I’m just simply not that good haha. So keeping it simple sounds like a good plan. I can always add a gyro easily later waaay down the road.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 21:34 Quote
ATV25 wrote:

Thanks for your input! I thought about a DH cassette but since I have other dedicated bikes from 120 to 200mm of travel for other disciplines, this will just be a fun focused DJ bike. But I agree you have a good setup with the cassette and front brake, gives you that much more to use it for things

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
firstascent wrote:
ATV25 wrote:

Thanks for your input! I thought about a DH cassette but since I have other dedicated bikes from 120 to 200mm of travel for other disciplines, this will just be a fun focused DJ bike. But I agree you have a good setup with the cassette and front brake, gives you that much more to use it for things

It's my only MTB, I have 2 mid school BMX bikes but don't ride them much anymore ( garage queens LOL ) Just got into the MTB thing in February and I do enjoy it !

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 21:34 Quote
@ATV25 glad you got into it! I remember my first real mtb experience and it’s been a fun ride ever since

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007607
Mobile Version of Website